Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Can Notion 4 Split Multi-Voice Staves Into Separate Staves?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Can Notion 4 Split Multi-Voice Staves Into Separate Staves?

Postby DaddyO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm

If I initially enter separate voices on a single staff, does Notion 4 have a command to split each voice out into it's own staff? Example: two oboes each with it's own voice on one staff, can it be split into two separate oboe staves by a Notion command? If so, I cannot find it in the manual, so I suppose the answer is no.

Re: Can Notion 4 Split Multi-Voice Staves Into Separate Stav

Postby thorrild » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi DaddyO,

Well, you answered your own question, and I can confirm that you're right. I have recently emailed Notion a feature request along these lines. If you do that too, we'll have at least a lobby of two! ;) The address is support@notionmusic.com.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby GaryExo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Could I just ask you two this? If you know you're going to require, for example, two oboes why would you not simply begin with two staves each dedicated to an oboe?
GaryExo

Postby DaddyO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm

GaryExo wrote:Could I just ask you two this? If you know you're going to require, for example, two oboes why would you not simply begin with two staves each dedicated to an oboe?

The key to answering your question lies in the phrase "If you know..." To be sure, if I DID know that's what I wanted to do from the beginnning, I would do so. My query presupposes that I DID NOT.

In this case part of my efforts at better learning orchestration involves manually entering different masterworks. This forces me to work in detail with the scores, thus enhancing my understanding of the art. It is easier for me to see what a composer is doing if I work with a multi-voice staff for each instrument where it makes sense to do so. I work first off of complete scores, which often do this.

Postby DaddyO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:36 pm

thorrild wrote:Hi DaddyO,
I have recently emailed Notion a feature request along these lines. If you do that too, we'll have at least a lobby of two! ;) The address is support@notionmusic.com.

Best wishes,
Thorrild

Done

Postby GaryExo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Yes, I see. It could be a useful feature.
GaryExo

Postby pcartwright » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:00 pm

I think the opposite feature would be nice as well: the ability to combine two staves (assuming one voice, same transposition, etc) into one staff. That way you could compose on separate staves if needed, combine them for the conductor score, split them for the player parts, etc.

I think I added that as a feature request a while back... Regardless, I think the OP idea would be very useful.
pcartwright

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:32 pm

These are features that we have plans for but no promises for when they can be accomplished.

I did recently see a post where someone found a work-around by exporting the MIDI and then re-importing it. I cannot find it now, but if I run into it again, I will re-post it here.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Funkybot » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:50 pm

I'm still waiting for the feature that would allow me to change the split point on a grand staff per measure.

Example:

1. Record a performance playing keyboard (or import a MIDI file)
2. Some notes that your left hand played may end up on the treble clef rather than bass clef or vice versa

There's no easy way to set the split point for a given measure or set of notes after a performance has been recorded. How many piano pieces are there where the split point never changes?

That said, I still need the sustain pedal to work and that hasn't happened yet either...

Not to mention the cross staff beaming...

It really seems like there's some essential features missing for keyboard players. No big deal I guess, how many keyboard players can their possibly be in the world. Oh, wait...
Funkybot

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Funkybot wrote:I'm still waiting for the feature that would allow me to change the split point on a grand staff per measure.

Example:

1. Record a performance playing keyboard (or import a MIDI file)
2. Some notes that your left hand played may end up on the treble clef rather than bass clef or vice versa

There's no easy way to set the split point for a given measure or set of notes after a performance has been recorded. How many piano pieces are there where the split point never changes?

That said, I still need the sustain pedal to work and that hasn't happened yet either...

Not to mention the cross staff beaming...

It really seems like there's some essential features missing for keyboard players. No big deal I guess, how many keyboard players can their possibly be in the world. Oh, wait...

The grand staff split point feature is in Notion 4.0.324, which is the latest Release Update. You can use it by changing the Split Point in the MIDI Record dropdown at the moment when you instigate MIDI Record Mode.

Cross staff beaming is not there yet...

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION