Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Shift Y and Group ID for Rules

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Shift Y and Group ID for Rules

Postby pcartwright » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Does anyone know if/when this feature will be released? Brian? Josh? Bueller? Bueller?

notionlive wrote:Change the string <plugin ID="############"> to <group id="xxxx">. This four letter string is associated with the name of the Rule set through the group ID set by the user and placed in the actual score.

group id.png

Next, in the score you will need to insert the string on the staff that you want to use the set of rules.

Use Rules.png

1. Press Shift + Y
2. Your cursor will now display the "Use Rules" icon.
3. Place the Use Rules icon on the staff/instrument you are wanting to use.
4. Type in the matching four letter string that corresponds to the <group id="xxxx"> for the rule set you want to use.
pcartwright

Re: Shift Y and Group ID for Rules

Postby thorrild » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 am

pcartwright wrote:Brian? Josh? Bueller? Bueller?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

This feature is coming soon. We are sorry that it was released that it would be in, but we have decided that it would be better to do it in a different way that would provide a stronger user interface for users to control this in a better way than using Shift-Y.

There is a ticket for this, but it also requires some GUI changes that are taking a little longer to produce.

Regards,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby pcartwright » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Thanks for the response. I'm really excited about this feature. I thought the Shift Y concept was a nice addition, so any inclusion to the GUI would be even better!

Regards.
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:19 am

I jumped at the upgrade/update from Notion3 to Notion4, but I am holding off actually moving to really using version 4 until THIS most powerful feature is enabled. This is huge, the capability to attach rules so easily to any instrument opens up the magic of Notion's greatest capabilities. Being able to simply insert the name of the desired ruleset directly on an instrument line in the score, means NOT having to fuss over the tricky assignment of rules via midi-channel-test with complex dependencies on special instrument setups etc.

The possibility of creating handy "utility rulesets" for special musical functions would most certainly be contributed by a bunch of avid "ruleset tweekers" out here. When you see stuff like that being posted in the forum (especially if you see a bunch of positive comments on somebody's posted ruleset from other users on the forum), then anyone (including folks who don't get into writing xml themselves) could grab it and very simply (and safely!) plug it into a part on their own score without any risk of messing with the guts of Notion's configuration.

Of course a GUI menu thingee would be nice. I would imagine that someone who is into it enough to be using custom rulesets would have no problem with the simpler "ctrl-Y" to access the feature. Maybe (hint hint - hello Brian...) the "ctrl-Y" hotkey could first be enabled initially(?) while the smart programmers at NotionMusic go onward with the extra time necessary to fab a nifty GUI for same to come out in a later update.

Guess I'll be watching this thread for update when the feature gets turned on... :shock:
dgriffee

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

dgriffee wrote:I jumped at the upgrade/update from Notion3 to Notion4, but I am holding off actually moving to really using version 4 until THIS most powerful feature is enabled.

Although this is a powerful feature, we would certainly recommend going ahead and getting into Notion 4. There are many more reasons than this one feature to be up to date.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dgriffee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:17 am

I'm sure there are many cool improvements (like the move to full 64bit kinda tops the list IMHO). It's just that I'm kinda in the middle of writing a symphony at the moment, and I hesitate to change horses midstream. (I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but has there been any testing of installing Notion4 64bit version and also still keeping 32bit-Notion3 operative as well without causing any conflicting hiccups?)

Anyway, the rules engine that makes Notion's magic ... real magic that works, that's the thing that allows me to have a setup that is so transparent with Notion's clean clear interface that I can just focus on composing and almost forget that I am using a computer. Kind of ironic I suppose, xml configuration files are not exactly fit that description, but I found that I could initially just set it all up once with a bunch of custom rules to make all the expressiveness I needed exactly the way I wanted, and then not have to spend any more time on arcane tweeky things. With my custom rules in place, I have been just writing music and enjoying the expressive magic all happening perfectly tailored to my personal desired responsiveness and all controlled entirely by what I notate in the musical score. I love not having to do anything further with sequencer programs and processing programs and mixing programs etc etc... The music comes right out of Notion already sounding just the way I want to hear it (um, well, if/when I write good music that is, grin.) Having my custom ruleset is what makes the experience of using Notion that good for me.

I would like to share some of what ruleset stuff I have found works really well with Notion and VSL and EWQL etc. The capability to assign a ruleset to a staff line (the infamous "crtl-Y thingee") would be the best way for anyone to take advantage of other folks' custom rules without any risk of messing up the program.

It seems so direct and straight forward, name the rules and put the name on the staff line, done. If a rule does not work as you would like, just delete that name from the staff line in your score and you're back to normal again.

So I wait patiently for the magic to be surfaced... It will be great when it does.
dgriffee

Postby thorrild » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:55 am

dgriffee wrote:...has there been any testing of installing Notion4 64bit version and also still keeping 32bit-Notion3 operative as well without causing any conflicting hiccups?

I have both Notion 3 and 4 installed on my iMac. They co-exist beautifully.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Agreed. We have no problems with running both at the same time.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby pcartwright » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:57 am

It's been quite a while since we've had any news on the Shift Y (or equivalent feature). The last I heard, this feature was pulled to allow for deeper GUI interface. Is this feature still in development?

I am hesitant to write additional rules for Notion 4 until I understand when/how this feature will be implemented (that is, I don't want to commit weeks of work to something that might be obsolete).

Brian? Josh? Kyle? Bueller?
pcartwright

Next

Return to NOTION