Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Complete Composers Collection

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Complete Composers Collection

Postby JAndresB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:57 pm

So I've been thinking of getting the EWQL Complete Composers Collection, but before buying it (since it does come with a hefty price tag and memory demands) I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions regarding it. N4 does support EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, from what I understand, but does it support the other libraries that come with the package (StormDrum, Symphonic Choirs, Ra, etc.) and play them back? Or do I have to find some other way of combining the sounds?

Thanks guys!
JAndresB

Re: Complete Composers Collection

Postby Migot » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 pm

Your needs are the most important thing !
Just put it on paper...
...and a list of Sample packages aside.

Best

Alain
Alain LeBlond
Composer born in 1957

Notion 4,
VSL SE 1,2,Plus, MIRx
DP8, Finale 2012
OS X 10.9.3, Mavericks
Migot

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:05 pm

Notion can support anything if you're willing to spend the time creating your own playback rules.

Last month EW was having a 50% off sale. Seems a shame to buy now that things are back to full price...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby notionlive » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Notion is compatible for use, but there are some techniques that you will have to do to work around some of the functionality in the libraries. We use them all the time in the office and they are great sounding, but a little difficult to work with.

Here are the options for use with Notion in the non-Orchestral Play libraries:

1. Learn to write your own Custom Rules in XML.

There are a lot of Notion users that have gone this route and had great success. It is not supported from within the office, but if you figure this out, you can make these libraries perform very powerfully. Those who are not computer savvy or hate to look at any type of code, will find this option very frustrating. Even though XML is fairly simple to get your mind around, it can be frustrating when you are in a creative mood and you are sitting at your computer staring at code.

2. The easier way to manage this process is score related, but it is not quite as powerful. However, if you get used to the idea of it, you can use this following technique to push your VST's to their limits.

I will call this the Sequencer Style of Notation unless someone else can come up with a better name.

What you will want to do is this:

1. For every instrument that you load into the score, create two staves. One will be the instrument's playback staff, and the other will be it's Key Switch Staff. (The reason for creating two staves is that if you want to print, you can hide the key switch staff. It will playback, but musicians will not want to see this strange looking staff when looking at their parts, or a score.) Make sure that both staves are outputting to the same MIDI Channel in the VSTi. Use Shift + I to change the instrument and the MIDI channel on a particular staff.

2. Here is where this mode gets a little strange. When adding articulations to your score, you are not going to hear playback of those articulations. What you will have to do is add the key switch into the Key Switch Staff. The only reason that I say it is strange is because you will have to write out a part that has notes in the staff that do not playback with sounds of the instrument, but instead tell the VSTi exactly which sample set to use in a particular instrument bank.

Here is an example of what this looks like:
Key Switching.png
Key Switching.png (22.68 KiB) Viewed 8023 times

In the above picture, both staves are outputting to the Solo Violin. The first key switch is the eighth note in the bottom staff. It is sending KS data to the Sustain/Legato bank. Then, when you see the staccatos start in the top staff, there is another KS. It tells the Staccato Bank to be active. And then the Trills.

Here is a picture of what the entire string section looks like at this moment in the score:

String Section.png
String Section.png (55.31 KiB) Viewed 8023 times

I know this looks like a jumbled mess, but what you can do is Hide the KS staves in the Score Setup window. They will still playback, but you do not have to look at them.

This is working in the same way that working with a sequencer does. It seems a lot harder than it actually is because you can view the playback of the keyswitches in most VSTi's. You will learn the Keyswitches for your instruments too.

Anyway, the draw backs here are:

1. that you have to write the articulations as notes.
2. small learning curve.
3. when you play the score back, you must start behind the KS to get it to audition.

I find it greatly worth it to work like this if you are not wanting to go into XML Custom Rules land.

You can listen to the score that I just placed the pictures of at the following link:

https://soundcloud.com/violinist-compos ... rcumstance

The entire score was generated this using this technique.
notionlive

Postby iamnemo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:48 am

wcreed51 wrote:Notion can support anything if you're willing to spend the time creating your own playback rules.

Last month EW was having a 50% off sale. Seems a shame to buy now that things are back to full price...

Still going on now: http://www.soundsonline.com/Holiday-Promotion :)
iamnemo

Return to NOTION