Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Customizing Rule Sets for Notion with VSL

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Customizing Rule Sets for Notion with VSL

Postby idiotSavant » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm interested in editing/customizing the rulesets for VSL. I have no idea where to begin. I'm on a Mac, any suggestions?
Michael

Notion 4 Mac
VSL Dimension Strings
VSL Special Edition 1,2, Plus
Miroslav Philharmonik
Apple Logic
idiotSavant

Re: Customizing Rule Sets for Notion with VSL

Postby pcartwright » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:03 am

I don't own VSL, but I've created some of my own rules for GPO and a few other libraries. I would start by looking at the rules documentation here (http://www.notionmusic.com/support/downloads.html) under the "other" tab. I would also look at a few examples of rules provided by Notion as well as rule sets posted on the forum (viewforum.php?f=24).

Try experimenting. It can be quite time consuming, but the point of the rules is to make mundane things (like channel changes or keyswitches) automatic so you can freely compose without worrying about loading the correct patches, etc.

Keep in mind that the best rules set won't make for a completely realistic or musical playback; some MIDI events (like some continuous controllers) should be recorded (versus programmed) for realistic playback.
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:51 am

Having tried a few approaches with customized VSL instruments...
The simplest method I have found quick success with is to set a CC# to an unused instrument parameter (like filter, or attack) and then making a rule that tests for an articulation marking to apply a value to that CC#. Just be sure to add a line to the "reset" rule that defaults that CC# to a good "normal" value for notes that are not marked with any accent.

Going a bit deeper, I have gotten the most expressive stuff by lining up a bunch of keyswitched cells in the VSL instrument editor, and starting by first copying one "normal" cell to all of the new cells and then making subtle changes to each cell to get sounds appropriate for the different kinds of articulation markings or technique markings, and adding a rule to hit the keyswitches per those articulations.

WHEN the good folks at NotionMusic enable the new "ctrl-Y" feature for assigning custom rules to an instrument in the score, then I will post a bunch of custom rules like that with corresponding VSL Spec-Ed I patch-settings.
dgriffee

Postby Migot » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

Degriffee,

I'm almost exclusively working with VSL SE +, using the given Notion's Vsl rules !

So,
I would be very interested to know what kind of modification you have done about that !

Programming is not my way at all...

If you want to show or share I would be very pleased.

Let me know

Best
Alain LeBlond
Composer born in 1957
Alain LeBlond
Composer born in 1957

Notion 4,
VSL SE 1,2,Plus, MIRx
DP8, Finale 2012
OS X 10.9.3, Mavericks
Migot

Postby ottomc » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

@Degriffee:
WHEN the good folks at NotionMusic enable the new "ctrl-Y" feature for assigning custom rules to an instrument in the score, then I will post a bunch of custom rules like that with corresponding VSL Spec-Ed I patch-settings.

Great!!
Otto Martin Christensen
www.faidros.no
ottomc

Return to NOTION