Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Trill effect on timpani

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Trill effect on timpani

Postby jodep » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi,

I used to apply the trill effect on the timpani to get a nice drum roll effect. In Notion3 this doesn't seem to work. Is there another way to have a drum roll effect on the timpani?

kr,
Jo
jodep

Re: Trill effect on timpani

Postby jodep » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:35 pm

Found it: it can now be done by adding tremolo.
jodep

Postby Unfinished » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:04 pm

I would like to mention here that a trill on a timpani should be played as a tremolo but Notion will only accept tremolo markings, so that could be improved upon. Secondly on tuned percussion instruments, a trill should play as your ordinary trill but Notion seems to think tuned percussion instruments can only handle tremolo on a note or rolling on several notes. The sound of rolling two notes (as a tremolo chord) should be the same as a trill involving those notes, but Notion will not play a trill, and the important thing is that you do not want to see a tremolo chord of two consecutive notes where there should be a trill.
Unfinished

Postby Novatlan » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:10 pm

I usually use "tr" lines to notate timpani tremoli, so that would be indeed a welcome addition!
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby DrH » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:07 pm

Novatlan wrote:I usually use "tr" lines to notate timpani tremoli, so that would be indeed a welcome addition!

Actually, being able to use tr on percussion instruments (which is a perectly valid notational style) wouldn't be an addition but rather a *restoration* of Notion 2 functionality.

There are a number of similar used-to-work-in-N2-but-not-in-N3 functionalities that I believe need to be addressed in the next release and have already submitted as bugs because changing *how* a feature is evoked (perhaps a different key-sequence to load a tr in the cursor) is far different than *removing* a feature. For example, if a tr works on percussion in N2 and then doesn't work when we import scores into N3, and then have to find every tr in the score, and then . . . well you get the very tiresome and unnecessary picture.

Thanks for bringing this latest "Oh, you want that to work in N3 like it did in N2" issue to light,

DrH
DrH

Postby Novatlan » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:52 am

Maybe you could send Notion a list of things that could be restored.
I have never used N2, so I don't know about "missing features".
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby DrH » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:19 pm

I save a little list of these anomolies and then file a bug report every week or so.

DrH
DrH

Return to NOTION