Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to duplicate lyrics?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to duplicate lyrics?

Postby David Coombes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:44 am

I'm new to Notion, buying Notion 4 last night. I can't find how to duplicate lyrics, such as selecting the text and copy/pasting, or even pasting the lyrics typed in a text document and copy/pasting into a new stave. If writing a four-part song, how do I enter same lyrics for SAT+B? Surely not by typing the same thing four times!
David Coombes

Re: How to duplicate lyrics?

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:17 am

I'm new to Notion as well and would be interested to know this. I can't find anything in the manual about pasting lyrics.
ChrisW

Postby thorrild » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Chris and David,

As far as I know, it isn't possible to copy & paste lyrics. Here is what I do to avoid all the tedious typing, assuming an SATB piece with identical or very similar note durations (and thus lyrics distribution) in all voices:

1.Write out one line, with lyrics — say, Soprano.
2. Copy and paste music and lyrics into another staff — say, Alto.
3. Put the cursor on the first Alto note and select Step Record.
4. Step-enter the correct pitches and durations for the Altos. Lyrics remain in the staff.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 for the remaining vocal staves.

I realize that this is not always possible — you may have composed and/or entered the piece before you added any lyrics. But if you are able to plan ahead, the above will help a little bit until this shortcoming is addressed by Notion. I suggest you submit a feature request to Brian about this. His email address is support@notionmusic.com.

Best,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Migot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 am

David,

As I know, you may Click on (or shift Click) any «element» of a Lyric then copy and paste it in any other parts...

lets try !

Alain

PS you would also submit your request to the Support Notion's Team... they are very nice !
Alain LeBlond
Composer born in 1957

Notion 4,
VSL SE 1,2,Plus, MIRx
DP8, Finale 2012
OS X 10.9.3, Mavericks
Migot

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 am

You can absolutely copy and paste Lyrics. You have to select the words as objects. Make sure that your rhythm lines up. and then wherever you started, place the cursor and press paste.

Works for me.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ChrisW » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've managed to copy and paste lyrics, but is there a faster way of selecting the lyrics than by shift-clicking on each one? (I'm on a Mac).

Thorrild, your method was a big help and so far it's handling some rhythmic differences between staves, so I'll experiment further.

Chris
ChrisW

Postby thorrild » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Admin wrote:You can absolutely copy and paste Lyrics. You have to select the words as objects. Make sure that your rhythm lines up. and then wherever you started, place the cursor and press paste.

Works for me.

-Admin

Thanks, Admin, for clearing that up. I'll be more careful with my pronouncements in the future, and I'm happy to have learned something new about Notion. Great!

Best wishes, as always,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby b13 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:27 am

Maybe it would be good to have something like a kind of framework for selecting multiple things in Notion? ...
b13

Return to NOTION