Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

grace notes playback bug

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

grace notes playback bug

Postby reztes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:19 am

In large scores, when I put the pointer in a measure in the middle of the piece that begins with a grace note and click the play button, Notion goes stuck. I put the pointer one beat after for correct playback but I think I must tell you to improve the program.
The piece I'm working on has a lot of grace notes, so I have to be very careful about this. I think it isn't a capital thing to solve, but I guess you need to know it.
reztes

Re: grace notes playback bug

Postby Admin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi restez,

I am not certain what it is that is happening here.

1. Is it the measure that begins with the grace note?
or,
Is it the beginning of the piece that begins with the grcae note?

2. When you say pointer, I assume you mean the cursor arrow, but I am not sure where you are starting playback. Are you atarting playback in the beginning of the piece or on a measure in the middle of the piece?

3. What version of Notion are you using? I remember a bug like this from about 2 or 3 years ago, but it has not shown up in a long time.

Could you provide some screen shots?

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby reztes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Admin wrote:Hi restez,

I am not certain what it is that is happening here.

1. Is it the measure that begins with the grace note?
or,
Is it the beginning of the piece that begins with the grcae note?

2. When you say pointer, I assume you mean the cursor arrow, but I am not sure where you are starting playback. Are you atarting playback in the beginning of the piece or on a measure in the middle of the piece?

3. What version of Notion are you using? I remember a bug like this from about 2 or 3 years ago, but it has not shown up in a long time.

Could you provide some screen shots?

-Admin

1 - It is the measure that begins with the grace note, in the middle of the piece.
2 - Yes, U mean the green cursor arrow. As I say, I'm beginning the playback in the middle of the piece.
3 - I have Notion 4.032 64bit Windows.

I'm attaching the jpg with the place when the bug occurs. It's a wind band tutti.

Thanks.
Attachments
notiongracebug2.jpg
notiongracebug2.jpg (124.83 KiB) Viewed 7479 times
reztes

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:44 pm

The problem you are having is not related to the grace notes. I can see in the score that you are having trouble with the hairpins. Some of your hairpins on that measure are attached to the barline, not the next dynamic marking. You need to go through and delete all of the hairpins and reset them to the actual dynamic marking in the next bar.

What has happened is that the incorrectly placed hairpin markings are lengthening the beginning of the measure. This is the actual bug. They are causing the score to add an extra beat to the beginning of the bar, which may be caused by the grace notes, but only indirectly.

I am sorry you are having this trouble. I am certain that if you get the hairpins set properly, your problem will be resolved.

Hope this helps,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby reztes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:22 pm

I know that my question may seem ridiculous but... What is a "hairpin"? :?

I'm from spain and I can't speak english as good as I wish so there is some words I don't know. I think a hairpin is the crescendo/diminuendo symbol that I obtain with the </> key... But I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help!
reztes

Postby thorrild » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 pm

reztes wrote:I think a hairpin is the crescendo/diminuendo symbol that I obtain with the </> key...

Yes, you are right. Hairpin is the slang word for those symbols.

What the Admin is telling you is that your crescendo signs are entered so that they terminate on the grace note, instead of on the downbeat (forte). I have just tested this, and the Admin is right.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby reztes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 pm

Thank you all :-)
reztes

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Glad to help out.

-Admin