Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Meaning of a title

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Meaning of a title

Postby mrarnesen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:42 pm

Not really a Notion question, but I hope you don't mind. I'm writing a piece and not sure what to call it. I found another piece which are called "Call to remembrance", and I really liked that. But what is the meaning of those words?

Any suggestions?
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Re: Meaning of a title

Postby tubatimberinger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:06 pm

What is the piece trying to say? Answer that and a title will come pretty easily.
tubatimberinger

Postby thorrild » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:44 pm

Mrarnesen,

A Google search suggests that the composer is quoting the bible. This is from kingjamesbibleonline.org :

2 Timothy 1:5:

When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.

- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Pure Cambridge Edition

The site also gives other English translations of the passage, where the phrase is given as "being mindful of" or other similar terms. Your forum name seems to indicate that you may be Norwegian — just a guess: Although my Norwegian is a bit rusty, I think the title might translate as something like "Ihukommelse."

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby mrarnesen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:16 pm

tubatimberinger wrote:What is the piece trying to say? Answer that and a title will come pretty easily.

To be honest it's not really trying to say something, but to create or give something. A state of inner calm. Maybe it's not a good title after all. What do you think of the title "Calma"? Which means something like peace and stillness.
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Postby mrarnesen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:17 pm

thorrild wrote:Mrarnesen,

A Google search suggests that the composer is quoting the bible. This is from kingjamesbibleonline.org :

2 Timothy 1:5:

When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also.

- King James Bible "Authorized Version", Pure Cambridge Edition

The site also gives other English translations of the passage, where the phrase is given as "being mindful of" or other similar terms. Your forum name seems to indicate that you may be Norwegian — just a guess: Although my Norwegian is a bit rusty, I think the title might translate as something like "Ihukommelse."

Best wishes,
Thorrild

Thanks, maybe not what I was thinking of with the piece. It was just so poetic :) I think i'll go for Calma.
mrarnesen

Postby tubatimberinger » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

mrarnesen wrote:
tubatimberinger wrote:What is the piece trying to say? Answer that and a title will come pretty easily.

To be honest it's not really trying to say something, but to create or give something. A state of inner calm. Maybe it's not a good title after all. What do you think of the title "Calma"? Which means something like peace and stillness.

Semantics aside, all music communicates (at least it should). This piece is trying to communicate peace and stillness? Well, you already have something to go off. Now try to come up with a more 'interesting' word or set of words. But yeah, Calma is great. But don't be afraid to tweak it.
tubatimberinger

Postby mrarnesen » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:21 pm

tubatimberinger wrote:
mrarnesen wrote:

Semantics aside, all music communicates (at least it should). This piece is trying to communicate peace and stillness? Well, you already have something to go off. Now try to come up with a more 'interesting' word or set of words. But yeah, Calma is great. But don't be afraid to tweak it.

I think i'm happy with Calma :) I don't want say too much with a too specific title, but let people get their own ideas about the piece, tailored to each individual's life.
mrarnesen

Return to NOTION