Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to add a controller?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: How to add a controller?

Postby dcd111 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:21 pm

lucha wrote:Dear dcd11,

I am very grateful for all the effort you made for me. Your explanations were so clear that I had no trouble applying them.

After several tests, unfortunately it appears that there is a bug. Simultaneously to each 'Note On' Notion sends a message that disrupts controllers. The B0 0B 5A CC expression controller is added and therefore supersedes the desired setting during each attack. I suppose that this phenomenon does not only happen to me ...

I forgot something very important: replace </plugin> with </midi-out> near the end of the file. I don't know if that's the source of the particular problem you mentioned, but it probably won't work correctly without this change regardless.
dcd111

Postby lucha » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:32 pm

Once more, thanks a lot. Unfortunately, the problem I described above is still the same.
lucha

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm not sure if it's clear, but you need to be connecting to you Organ samples by MIDI, not as VST.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:13 pm

lucha wrote:Dear dcd11,

The B0 0B 5A CC expression controller is added and therefore supersedes the desired setting during each attack. I suppose that this phenomenon does not only happen to me ...

We am not certain what this CC Expression Controller is. Could this be something that your controller is adding when you are using a particular controller on your MIDI Controller? Please tell me what this Expression controller is if you have an idea as to what it represents. We would like to look into where this problem is coming from.

Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby lucha » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:47 pm

B0 0B 5A is a message sending a CC#11 information, putting this CC to about 2/3 of its range (round 84). I sent to Brian a copy of the report from Midi-Ox showing the result of a very short score, containing only 3 successive notes without any dynamic or anything other. On the report you can see of course 3 'Note On' and 3 'Note Off' messages, but also 3 times B0 0B 5A, happening simultaneously to each 'Note On'. Unfortunately, my Midi organ doesn't use the CC#7 for expression but CC#11 and for that reason I cannot manage the volume control correctly.

By the way, could you please tell me how I must upload an attachment to my posts? Every time I browse and select my file, it vanishes when I click on 'Add the file'. What could be the reason?

I said that I did not complain about Notion. I'm sure this is an excellent program and I have to take the time to find out. I am a user probably atypical, and some of my questions have perhaps not yet been addressed. I hope not to be a nightmare for the team of programmers!
lucha

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:57 am

lucha wrote:
The B0 0B 5A CC expression controller is added and therefore supersedes the desired setting during each attack. I suppose that this phenomenon does not only happen to me ...

We are not sure what the B0 0B 5A CC Expression Controller is. Can you please elaborate? What VST are you using? What is your MIDI Controller?

We need more information. You could also send your score to support@notionmusic.com. We could take a look at it and maybe detect what is happening a little easier.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby lucha » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:27 pm

I just sent you a copy of my mail to Brian last week. It contains all what you're asking. There is a Notion file and a Midi-Ox report. I only use a Midi external device, no VST.
lucha

Postby pcartwright » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is the external MIDI device that you use?
pcartwright

Postby lucha » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 am

pcartwright wrote:Just out of curiosity, what is the external MIDI device that you use?

I'm a classical organist. My instrument is a Viscount Prestige 80, an organ with 3 manuals (2 with expression) and a pedalboard. It means 4 Midi channels and 2 expressions managed by CC#11.
lucha

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:36 pm

Dear lucha,

I am wondering if you have another external MIDI device that you can test these dynamics issues with?

I am thinking that the problem is coming from that MIDI Controller. I have never heard of this problem before. It seems that there is some extraneous MIDI being sent from that device. We have run your score through external MIDI devices and had no problems with dynamics.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION