Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

A Notion Plug-In?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

A Notion Plug-In?

Postby Timoty » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 pm

As a Pro Tools user and in a few days a new Digital Performer 8 user, I would love it if Notion had the ability to be used as a VI Plug-in.

Not only does Notion have great samples, but many of them blend well with my other sample libraries. Specifically, the woodwinds and section woodwinds that I am quickly becoming permanently attached to!

There are workarounds of course, bouncing the woodwinds to disk and then importing the wave into it's own track is a good solution. I would love, however, to be able to work with everything at once. Speed and efficiency is always desirable, especially with the writing process.

Is this something that's possible or a possibility in future incarnations?

Thanks,

-Tim
Timoty

Re: A Notion Plug-In?

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am

Timoty wrote:As a Pro Tools user and in a few days a new Digital Performer 8 user, I would love it if Notion had the ability to be used as a VI Plug-in.

Not only does Notion have great samples, but many of them blend well with my other sample libraries. Specifically, the woodwinds and section woodwinds that I am quickly becoming permanently attached to!

There are workarounds of course, bouncing the woodwinds to disk and then importing the wave into it's own track is a good solution. I would love, however, to be able to work with everything at once. Speed and efficiency is always desirable, especially with the writing process.

Is this something that's possible or a possibility in future incarnations?

Thanks,

-Tim

Why not try ReWire? Works well in this scenario.....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Timoty » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 pm

I've tried ReWire and yielded no results, they don't seem to want to talk.
Timoty

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Timoty wrote:I've tried ReWire and yielded no results, they don't seem to want to talk.

QUESTION: Are you doing digital music production on the Mac or on a Windows machine?

The reason I ask is that if you are doing digital music production on the Mac, then I can help you get everything working, since it all works wonderfully on the Mac . . .

In fact, as demonstrated in the following video, I have moved everything up a few levels to the point that I have Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) as the ReWire 2 (Propellerhead Software) host controller with both NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 (Propellerhead Software) as ReWire 2 slaves, where additionally NOTION 4 is controlling some of the Reason 6.5 instruments via NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, which basically is mind-boggling in terms of being able literally and physically to do everything . . .

[NOTE: All the applications, VSTi virtual instruments, and VST and AU plug-ins are 64-bits, which is important, since everything has plenty of space when it is running 64-bits. The Reason 6.5 audio is a little hot, which is due to my being focused more on getting everything to work than on dynamics, and I did not notice that the Reason 6.5 stereo master track was hot at the time, but so what . . . ]

Digital Performer 8, NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, External MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac -- QuickTime Movie -- MOV (63.7MB, approximately 14 minutes and 45 seconds)

This is the topic in this FORUM where the various settings for the Mac are explained and shown in detail . . .

NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac

On the Mac, Digital Performer 8 in this scenario can handle 50 to 75 tracks with no problems, and I am reasonably confident that NOTION 4 can handle 50 VSTi virtual instruments, with Reason 6.5 obviously being able to handle a lot of instruments and vocals, and with Digital Performer 8 you can have real instruments and vocals, and you also can record vocals with Reason 6.5, which is one of the reasons I decided to explore Reason 6.5, since I like the Neptune vocal processor that comes with Reason 6.5, where the key is for everything to be 64-bits . . .

If you are doing digital music production on a Windows machine, then I cannot be much help, although I fully expect that the Windows version of Digital Performer 8--which will appear sooner or later--will do ReWire 2 correctly in the Windows universe . . .

And for reference, I use a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid external digital audio interface to get the microphones and real instruments digitized and sent to the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (early 2008) with 20GB of memory running Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion), as well as to act as a MIDI interface for the various MIDI keyboards I use here in the sound isolation studio, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)

P. S. The logic for doing all this stuff is that I like to be able to do everything, where "everything" maps specifically to composing, playing, and recording real instruments and vocals; composing, playing, and recording VSTi virtual instruments via music notation in NOTION 4; and composing, playing, and recording Reason 6.5 synthesizers and instruments via music notation in NOTION 4, where I can send all of it to Digital Performer 8, which is the primary Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application here in the sound isolation studio, where the generated audio is recorded as soundbites via ReWire 2, which then once everything is recorded in Digital Performer 8 makes it possible for me to switch focus to producing and mixing in Digital Performer 8 using Audio Unit (AU) and VST effects plug-ins . . .

Reason 6.5 runs as a standalone application, and its analogs of VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins are called Rack Extensions, which is stellar but is a bit of a problem, because Reason 6.5 is not a plug-in, hence after a bit of research, which included making sense of MIDI and required doing some video training courses, I discovered that I can use NOTION 4 External MIDI staves to send MIDI commands and instructions to Reason 6.5, which for all practical purposes makes Reason 6.5 work like a "plug-in", where NOTION 4 supplies the notes and so forth via music notation, but Reason 6.5 synthesizers and effects units do the audio generation . . .

In other words, NOTION 4 controls and plays VSTi virtual instruments, which includes Addictive Drums and Addictive Keys (XLN Audio, Kontakt (Native Instruments), MachFive 3 (MOTU), T-TrackS CS Grand (IK Multimedia), Twin 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments), and so forth and so on, but NOTION 4 also controls and plays Reason 6.5 synthesizers and instruments via NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, all of which maps to "everything" when you include real instruments, microphones, and singing recorded in Digital Performer 8 and Reason 6.5, since "real instruments" includes external keyboard synthesizers and workstations like the KORG Triton Music Workstation (88-Keys) and Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer, as well as running an electric guitar through the various IK Multimedia rigs (AmpliTube and Stealth Pedal) and other effects pedals for electric guitar and electric bass, where the real stuff connects either to the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid or to the Stealth Pedal and is digitized and then is fed to the Mac Pro in the digital format that DIgital Performer 8, NOTION 4, and Reason 6.5 require, where the key to the complete system is that it all begins with a NOTION 4 score, since the real instruments are tuned to reference pitches provided by a NOTION 4 virtual Piano where I set the NOTION 4 reference tuning pitch to 440-Hz ("Concert A") and the tempo is provided by a Kick Drum playing quarter notes in NOTION 4, which ensures that everything is tuned correctly and kept in tempo, where when it is done this way, if you later decide that you need some strings or horns, then you can add the strings or horns in NOTION 4 using NOTION 4 bundled instruments, VSTi virtual instruments, or Reason 6.5 synthesizers and instruments, and everything is in tune and in tempo with the real instruments and singing, which as best as I can determine at present literally and physically covers everything from the real and virtual universes, for sure . . .

For sure! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:17 pm

If you are having trouble getting ProTools and Notion to talk through Rewire, you can always contact Tech Support. We should be able to resolve this issue.

Please let us know what Operating System you are using and what version of Notion and ProTools you are using. We have tested this and it does work, although, there are some steps that Rewire setups require to get it to work properly.

Thanks.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION