Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Sforzando followed by crescendo

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Sforzando followed by crescendo

Postby alexg » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone figured out a strategy to simulate during playback a sforzando (sfz) immediately followed by piano (p) and then a crescendo (<) to fortissimo (ff)?

Page 157 of the user manual confirms that sfz does not playback but someone might have a clever solution.

Thanks,
Alex
alexg

Re: Sforzando followed by crescendo

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:12 am

Hi Alex
If a single long sutained note is involved, I suggest to break it into smaller value tied ones and to attach the proper dynamics to the point you need and join dynamics signs with hairpins.
Reaching a sforzando effect is partly a matter of the sound library you work with.
Eg., with GPO I set velocity of a short note with a high dynamic value to the maximum.
I tie it to another short note at p/pp dynamics. A closing hairpin then links the dynamics signs
Graphics will follow later (I'm far from my N3 at the moment).
Hope it helps
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby alexg » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:31 pm

fabiolcati wrote:Hi Alex
If a single long sutained note is involved, I suggest to break it into smaller value tied ones and to attach the proper dynamics to the point you need and join dynamics signs with hairpins.
Reaching a sforzando effect is partly a matter of the sound library you work with.
Eg., with GPO I set velocity of a short note with a high dynamic value to the maximum.
I tie it to another short note at p/pp dynamics. A closing hairpin then links the dynamics signs
Graphics will follow later (I'm far from my N3 at the moment).
Hope it helps

Thanks Fabio,

I thought that this would be the way to go. You have to change the dynamics depending on the orchestral section e.g. with brass I could get a better result than strings. One day (hopefully) Notion will allow us to freely draw CC data and this will help greatly.

Regards,
Alex
alexg

Postby fabiolcati » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:48 am

alexg wrote:One day (hopefully) Notion will allow us to freely draw CC data and this will help greatly.

Someday my prince will come... la la la...
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Return to NOTION