Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Multiple Files / Set List

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Multiple Files / Set List

Postby jsmitsy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:41 am

Hello,

I'm quite new to Notion, but I'll be using it in a few months for supporting a live musical performance.
I was wondering if it's possible to create a set list that opens the next file automatically, or if it's possible to open multiple files?

The second option is probably goig to be bad news for memory usage, as all the files will probably open their own instances of the samples. Is this correct?

How do other theatrical performances work around this? Jion everything in ons big master file?

Regards,

Jeroen
jsmitsy

Re: Multiple Files / Set List

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 pm

jsmitsy wrote:Hello,

I'm quite new to Notion, but I'll be using it in a few months for supporting a live musical performance.
I was wondering if it's possible to create a set list that opens the next file automatically, or if it's possible to open multiple files?

The second option is probably goig to be bad news for memory usage, as all the files will probably open their own instances of the samples. Is this correct?

How do other theatrical performances work around this? Jion everything in ons big master file?

Regards,

Jeroen

If you are referring to loading multiple NOTION 4 scores (a.k.a., "project files"), then you can do this with the 64-bit version of NOTION 4, but depending on how many third-party VSTi virtual instruments and VST effect plug-ins you are using, this can map to just a few additional NOTION 4 scores being open and perhaps only one additional NOTION 4 score being open . . .

This also is possible with NOTION 3, but since NOTION 3 is a 32-bit application, by the time you have a lot of VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins in a score, if you try to open another NOTION 3 score, then there will be a problem, and for reference "a lot" in this specific context (NOTION3, third-party VSTi virtual instruments and third-party VST effect plug-ins) refers to somewhere in the range of 20 to 25 third-party VSTi virtual instruments and a few third-party VST effects . . .

NOTION 4 running in 64-bit mode has considerably more memory space available, so if you do some experiments, then you should be able to determine a happy number of NOTION 4 scores to have open simultaneously, where having as much memory as possible is very important, and for reference this is done easiest with the NOTION 4 bundled instruments and sampled sounds, really . . .

Really! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby wcreed51 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:53 pm

If you're using the bundled Notion instruments, you should have no trouble opening many documents, as they are very light on RAM usage.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby srenmp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:07 pm

JSmitty I pm'd you an answer of what I would do. But for every one else it is best if you use just two big files and mark exactly as the score says by using the rehearsal marks. That way each song is mixed exactly the same for each act. What show specifically and I can give you some ideas I've done over 30 musical theatre productions using Notion. Its the greatest program ever for this.
srenmp

Postby srenmp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Here is a screen shot of Sunset Boulevard Act 2. To give you an idea.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 12.10.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 12.10.53 PM.png (286.62 KiB) Viewed 9378 times
srenmp

Postby pcartwright » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Can you reset the measure count for each section? How do you accomplish this?
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 pm

FYI, page 11.19 has the answer to my question. This is pretty slick. Very useful for film scoring as well as stage productions.
pcartwright

Postby notionlive » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:21 am

Dear Jeroen,

This is Josh at Notion Music. I am writing to let you know that I do Live Show work for Notion and I would like to extend my ear to you as you move into the realm of Live show production.

Please contact me directly at josh@notionmusic.com

Thank you,

Josh
notionlive

Return to NOTION