Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Realtime Midi Input

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Realtime Midi Input

Postby Novatlan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:00 am

I suppose the whole quantize thing could be solved by essentially having two performances at the same time: One in notation, which is displayed and one that accurately represents the user input, i.e. with exact velocity and so on.
Kind of like Sibelius' LivePlayback.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby astinov » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:19 pm

Hello everyone,

Without going into too much detail, we are currently addressing these issues as well as some that are not so immediately obvious. I have to say, it looks good so far and certainly will be a big improvement over what Real-Time record/convert to notation does right now. Just hang on there, this is the top of the list right now.

Thanks
astinov

Postby Unfinished » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:13 pm

Is there any way in MIDI import to recognise time signature changes and change of tempo?
Unfinished

Postby ericsandmeyer » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Novatlan wrote:I suppose the whole quantize thing could be solved by essentially having two performances at the same time: One in notation, which is displayed and one that accurately represents the user input, i.e. with exact velocity and so on.
Kind of like Sibelius' LivePlayback.

I vote for this kind of scenario! That would allow nice audio demos of my scores. I would love to be able to edit velocity data within the staff too because some of my libraries interpret dynamics VERRRY differently.

Can't wait to see what Dr. Astinov has brewing in his secret lab... :geek:
ericsandmeyer

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:44 am

+1, no doubt.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Novatlan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:48 am

My mind just forms a wonderful picture of Mr. Astinov sitting in a dark, damp dungeon in front of a huge number of vials with scary looking liquids in them, brewing some new code for Notion :)
Maybe I should quit playing role playing games, shouldn't I?
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
Novatlan

Postby astinov » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:02 pm

Never quit the games stuff :) Just got Modern Warfare 2 ^^

On a more serious note. It is actually my very good friend and colleague Evan Ruiz that is sitting in the lab with the vials and sweating over the code right now. He's one of the code wizards we have here and he takes this code much to heart. As I said before, we hope to have something by the end of month. Note that I say "we hope" and not "we promise" but it is looking good so far and progress is most certainly made each day.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby dgriffee » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:05 pm

just itching with curiosity... wondering what is the sort of nature of the underlying problem that has been found and is being fixed?

Is it like a matter of obscure interface timing conditions that inconsistently affect the incoming midi data?

or is it more of a UI design challenge, inventing new control widgets to somehow determine user intent?

or perhaps a tough tangle of both kinds of problems confounding eachother?
dgriffee

Postby Novatlan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:46 am

Right at the moment, MIDI import as well as recording do not work overly well.
The product manager of Notion has announced that the team is hard at work on this and that they expect to have a fix before the end of December.

As for refunds, I have no idea. I however can only encourage you to stick with Notion - give them a bit of time, I am sure Notion will be great after the next patch. The application looks incredibly promising. Areas with shortcomings like MIDI import/record are pretty rare.
Novatlan

Postby Damp Sneaker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:02 am

While this problem is a real show stopper, I'm glad to see this thread as I was quite puzzled as to why I couldn't get real time entry with the midi controller keyboard happening. I'm definitely anxious for the fix but can certainly wait. In the meantime, Notion is mostly on the back burner. :cry:
Damp Sneaker

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION