Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Will Notion 4 ReWire properly with Sonar X2 64bit?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Will Notion 4 ReWire properly with Sonar X2 64bit?

Postby deanesque » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:23 pm

I mean ACTUALLY WORK. i.e. I don't waste hours of my life troubleshooting but instead actually get work done in ReWire mode with Sonar in 64bit mode. Sibelius 7 will not work for me..

If it truly does I will upgrade.
deanesque

Re: Will Notion 4 ReWire properly with Sonar X2 64bit?

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:54 am

deanesque wrote:I mean ACTUALLY WORK. i.e. I don't waste hours of my life troubleshooting but instead actually get work done in ReWire mode with Sonar in 64bit mode. Sibelius 7 will not work for me..

If it truly does I will upgrade.

BACKGROUND

I do everything on a 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 20GB of memory running Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) in the sound isolation studio, and I augment the Mac Pro with a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid external digital audio and MIDI interface, which is used to connect microphones, real instruments, and MIDI devices to the Mac Pro . . .

Sonar X2 only runs on Windows machines, so I cannot run it here in the sound isolation studio, but so what . . .

So what!

There is more to answering your questions than just providing some insights into whether Sonar X2 implements enough of ReWire 2 to be useful in a practical way . . .

Understanding ReWire with respect to operating system platforms requires knowing a little bit about the history of two companies (Propellerhead Software and Steinberg), where the key bit of information is that at one time they were working cooperatively on the idea of developing interoperability software, but somewhere along the line they had a disagreement and went their separate ways, where the Steinberg folks developed Virtual Studio Technology (VST) which is based on the general concept that Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) applications can be enhanced with VST effects plug-ins and VSTi virtual instruments, which certainly is the case . . .

In contrast, the folks at Propellerhead Software developed a complete, self-contained digital music production system called Reason, but they also developed ReWIre as an industry standard technology which allows digital music production applications to intercommunicate and interoperate for purposes of working with digitally generated audio, and among other things ReWire is one way to interface Reason 6.5 to DAW applications like Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) and Logic Pro 9 (Apple), as well as Cubase 6.5 (Steinberg), but with the caveat that Cubase 6.5 only does 32-bit ReWire . . .

From this perspective, there are two general systems in the Windows universe, where (a) Reason 6.5 is the self-contained system and (b) the other system comprises all DAW applications, hence there tends to be a general reluctance in the Windows universe for DAW applications to give much attention to ReWire, because implementing and supporting ReWire tends to introduce customers to Reason 6.5, so when a DAW application in the Windows universe implements and supports ReWire, the vendor does this to a certain degree at the risk of losingcustomers when they discover that Reason 6.5 is vastly fascinating and very productive . . .

Over in the Mac universe, the reality is that nobody gives a hoot about protecting turf, so everything just works, at least with DAW application which either are or at one time were available only for the Mac. The dual platform DAW applications provide varying levels of ReWIre implementation and support on the Mac, and for this reason I only recommend DIgital Performer 8 and Logic Pro 9 . . .

OPTIMIZING YOUR VALUABLE TIME

This is very important, but it tends to be given short shrift due to the ongoing problem which occurs when otherwise sensible people become acolytes of one of the 10 major religions (Atari, Android, Chrome, iOS, Linux, Mac OS X, PlayStation, Wii, Windows, and Xbox) and for all practical purposes lose the ability to make sensible decisions regarding the optimal strategy for doing digital music production at the dawn of the early-21st century

Beginning in 2001, I discovered something truly fascinating, which soon led to a profound epiphany, which is the fact that stuff works on Apple computers without requiring one to mess with a bunch of technical computer nonsense, so instead of having to mess with technical computer nonsense, when you do everything on the Mac you can focus on doing digital music production, which in the grand scheme of everything is a very useful bit of information . . .

It is just the way it is, and none of it is my fault, either . . .

THOUGHTS

One of things that happens when Windows folks begin considering the possibility of doing ReWire is that the perspective regarding NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 is that their Windows DAW applications are perfect, so if there are any problems, then the problem must be caused by imperfections in NOTION 3 and NOTION 4, which generally is a bunch of nonsense, because NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 follow the ReWire and ReWire 2 rules, and NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 are good neighbors in the ReWIre and ReWire 2 neighborhoods . . .

This is the information I found regarding Sonar (Cakewalk) and ReWire, where the Propellerhead Software link has general information and the two Cakewalk links have information specific to Sonar X2 and ReWire 2:

ReWire Tutorial for Sonar (Propellerhead Software)

Sonar X2: ReWire Instruments (Cakewalk)

[NOTE: This link has detailed information on "bouncing to disk", which is the way ReWire 2 audio is recorded as soundbites, where "bounce to disk" and "soundbites" are part of the terminology of Digital Performer 8, although "bounce to disk" is a general term. For reference, "bounce to disk" is the same as "rendering" in a general multimedia context, and there are some difference in recorded tracks and soundbites, but so what . . . ]

Sonar X2: Converting Soft Synth Tracks to Audio (Cakewalk)

Based on the information provided at the three links (see above), one might infer reasonably that Sonar X2 correctly implements and supports ReWire 2, hence will work correctly when doing ReWire 2 with NOTION 4 . . .

However, I have no way to verify this, so all I can do is guess . . .

Nevertheless, if you have Sonar X2, you can download the Reason 6.5 DEMO, which is approximately 3.3GB, and then you can determine how well Sonar X2 works with Reason 6.5, where you must be running Windows 7 to do 64-bits, which is important, because Reason 6.5 is the gold standard ReWire 2 slave application that every vendor uses to verify their implementation and support for ReWIre 2 . . .

Reason 6.5 DEMO (Propellerhead Software)

Reason (Propellerhead Software)

[NOTE: This is the link to the Propellerhead Shop, where all the Rack Extensions are listed, most of which have audio or video examples. The focus is very different from using music notation to control and play VSTi virtual instruments, but you can use music notation in NOTION 4 via External MIDI staves on the Mac to control and play Reason 6.5 instruments, music boxes, and so forth and so on . . . ]

Rack Extensions for Reason (Propellerhead Shop)

If Sonar X2 works nicely as the ReWIre 2 host controller with Reason 6.5 being the ReWire 2 slave application in Windows 7, then this is a good sign that Sonar X2 will work correctly as the ReWire 2 host controller for NOTION 4 when NOTION 4 is running as a ReWire 2 slave application . . .

SUMMARY

Watching the following video that I made recently will provide a big clue to the realities of doing digital music production on the Mac, and I recommend it as a very productive and perhaps enlightening use of 15 minutes of your valuable time, because it is truly mind-boggling, for sure. . .

Digital Performer 8, NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, External MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac -- QuickTime Movie -- MOV (63.7MB, approximately 14 minutes and 45 seconds)

For sure! :ugeek:

Over the long run, if your goal is to avoid needing to mess with frustrating computer nonsense, then my advice is to get an Apple computer . . .

For reference, the philosophy in the Apple universe is that the computer is not supposed to bother the human, and this maps across the board to everything being as easy to do as possible, which is vastly important when you want to be able to focus on doing digital music production rather than on messing with computer hardware, drivers, settings, configuration parameters, and so forth, which is fabulous . . .

QUESTION: Can you do ReWire 2 productively on your Windows 7 machine with its specific sound card and drivers with Sonus X2 as the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 as the ReWIre 2 slave application, all in 64-bits?

I have no idea, and I abandoned all hope of ever being able to answer that type of question over a decade ago when I switched to the Mac . . .

But I can state with certainty based on verified experiments that you can do this with Digital Performer 8 or Logic Pro 9 running in 64-bit mode on an Apple computer running Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) as the ReWire host controller with NOTION 4 as the ReWire 2 slave application, which includes being able simultaneously to have NOTION 4 controlling and playing Reason 6.5 instruments via music notation provided on NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, with all the generated audio being piped to Digital Performer 8 or Logic Pro 9, where all you need to do to record the generated audio in real-time on the fly is to enable the requisite tracks or channels for recording and then to press the "Record" button, which is as easy and simple as possible, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby deanesque » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:23 pm

Interesting but I need to know about Sonar X2 and Windows 7.
deanesque

Postby pcartwright » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:Sonar X2 only runs on Windows machines, so I cannot run it here in the sound isolation studio, but so what . . .

So why are you posting on this thread at all?

Surfwhammy wrote:One of things that happens when Windows folks begin considering the possibility of doing ReWire is that the perspective regarding NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 is that their Windows DAW applications are perfect, so if there are any problems, then the problem must be caused by imperfections in NOTION 3 and NOTION 4, which generally is a bunch of nonsense, because NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 follow the ReWire and ReWire 2 rules, and NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 are good neighbors in the ReWIre and ReWire 2 neighborhoods . . .

What a load of crap! Certainly it takes two to tango in the rewire world, but I know that Notion 3 rewire for Windows was buggy. How do I know it was Notion 3 and not something else? Simple:

Sonar 7 rewired with Reason worked.
Sonar 7 rewired with Reaper worked.
Reaper rewired with Reason worked.
Sonar 7 rewired with Notion 3 did not work.
Reaper rewired with Notion 3 did not work.

Do you see the common denominator here?

Surfwhammy, believe it or not, I know a little bit of what I'm talking about, so shut it.

To answer the original post, I cannot say if Sonar X2 works with Notion 4 as I do not have Sonar X2. I use Sonar occasionally, but I did not install it on my most recent Windows build. I can say that Reaper x64 as host and Notion 4 x64 as slave on Win7 work very well together.

Are there any X2 users on the forum that care to share their results?
pcartwright

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 am

pcartwright wrote:So why are you posting on this thread at all?

Great question! :)

The answer is that over the next few days it is unlikely that anyone will provide accurate verified information regarding using Sonar X2 (Cakewalk) in 64-bit mode in a ReWire 2 (Propellerhead Software) session with NOTION 4 (Notion Music) in 64-bit mode on a Windows 7 (Microsoft) machine, hence even though I do not have a Windows 7 machine and Sonar X2, I know enough about ReWire 2 to provide some excellent and vastly productive advice, which is what I did . . .

Additionally, so that there is no confusion, even if you and deanesque had Sonar X2, NOTION 4, and Windows 7, if you got it working correctly for doing ReWire 2 on your Windows7 machine, there is no guarantee that it will work correctly on the Windows 7 machine deanesque has unless both machines are identical in every respect, including sound cards, account configurations, and so forth, which is entirely different from the way it works in the Apple universe . . .

Specifically, this is the first set of information I provided, and it is the basic roadmap to doing 64-bit ReWire 2 with Sonar X2:

Surfwhammy wrote:ReWire Tutorial for Sonar (Propellerhead Software)

Sonar X2: ReWire Instruments (Cakewalk)

[NOTE: This link has detailed information on "bouncing to disk", which is the way ReWire 2 audio is recorded as soundbites, where "bounce to disk" and "soundbites" are part of the terminology of Digital Performer 8, although "bounce to disk" is a general term. For reference, "bounce to disk" is the same as "rendering" in a general multimedia context, and there are some difference in recorded tracks and soundbites, but so what . . . ]

Sonar X2: Converting Soft Synth Tracks to Audio (Cakewalk)

One might suppose that everyone in the known universe knows that Propellerhead Software has detailed step-by-step instructions on using ReWire with certain Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) applications at its website, but I did not know about this until I decided to become a third-party ReWire application developer, which I did approximately two years ago, which took about 18 months for the approval process, which in the grand scheme of everything maps to one difference in our advice being that I have all the internal code for ReWire 1.7 and ReWire 2, which combined with doing software engineering beginning with the first version of Windows and continuing to do this for 15 or so years makes it possible for me to read Windows technical documentation and to examine code without actually needing to have a Windows machine for testing, at least toward the goal of providing reasonable and accurate advice . . .

The first bit of information provides insights into the way Propellerhead Software describes the steps for doing ReWire with Sonar in a generic way, and it also provides information which is relative to testing Sonar X2 with Reason 6.5 and ReWire, which is very important, because every third-party ReWire application developer--including Cakewalk--tests their applications with the current version of Reason, which at present is Reason 6.5, thereby making Reason 6.5 the current gold standard for verifying at least minimal compliance with ReWire 2 specifications and requirements, where there are levels to ReWire, and it is not a requirement that everything be implemented and supported, with the classic example being Reason, which only acts as a ReWire slave application . . .

The second set of information is specific to Sonar X2, and I supplied these links mostly as a courtesy but also because some folks are not so skilled in finding detailed step-by-step instructions on how to do technical stuff. In other words, I located the information at the Cakewalk website; I had the links; and it took just a few minutes to add the links with a general description to my reply . . .

But I provided the links to the Propellerhead Software and Cakewalk information for another reason, which is that it forms the basis for being able to do the Reason 6.5 verification tests, with the information on getting the free Reason 6.5 DEMO provided in the next set of information, as follows:

Surfwhammy wrote:You can download the Reason 6.5 DEMO, which is approximately 3.3GB, and then you can determine how well Sonar X2 works with Reason 6.5, where you must be running Windows 7 to do 64-bits, which is important, because Reason 6.5 is the gold standard ReWire 2 slave application that every vendor uses to verify their implementation and support for ReWIre 2 . . .

Reason 6.5 DEMO (Propellerhead Software)

Making sense of this information and the clues it provides requires a tiny bit of dot connecting, but it should not be a difficult inference to make when someone posts instructions on how to do ReWire with Sonar X2 as the 64-bit ReWire 2 host controller and Reason 6.5 as the 64-bit ReWire 2 slave application and then additionally posts the link to the download area at the Propellerhead Software website where one can get the free and full-featured Reason 6.5 DEMO, which is good for 30 days, where the only drawback is that the download is 3.3GB, which for folks with slower web connections can be a problem but is not a big deal when one has a high-speed broadband ISP connection . . .

In other words, if deanesque decides to download the free Reason 6.5 DEMO toward the goal of doing the test where Sonar X2 is the ReWire 2 host controller and Reason 6.5 is the ReWire 2 slave application, then although I did not state it explicitly, I can provide some help, since (a) the Reason 6.5 configuration will be the same in terms of preferences, options, and which Reason 6.5 rack units to use, as well as how to set the various parameters for the rack units. It is not difficult to do, but if deanesque has some questions, then I certainly can answer them accurately, which includes providing screen captures on the Mac for the way the various items appear, which will be very similar to the way they appear on a Windows 7 machine with the primary difference being that the Mac dialog boxes have three round buttons at the top left while the Windows 7 dialog boxes have three square buttons at the top right . . .

Most importantly, if Sonar X2 functions correctly as the 64-bi ReWIre 2 host controller for Reason 6.5 in Windows 7, then this tends strongly to suggest that Sonar X2 will function correctly as the 64-bit ReWire 2 host controller for NOTION 4 in Windows 7, at which time I will be very comfortable recommending that deanesque get NOTION 4 . . .

On the other hand, if there are problem with Sonar X2 acting as the 64-bit ReWire 2 host controller for Reason 6.5 in Windows 7, then I might be able to provide some insights to ensure that everything is done correctly at least with respect to Reason 6.5 being correctly configured, which is better than nothing, since in some instances all it takes for a ReWire session to fail is a single parameter or option being set incorrectly by the user, where in such scenarios it is important to correct the problem after rebooting the computer and any external digital audio interfaces, since there are scenario where "ghost" or "phantom" processes exist, and this occurs in both the Mac and Windows universes, where it usually is a matter of one of the ReWire applications incorrectly handling an error exception, where even with Mac OS X an application can cause a bit of internal memory confusion which only can be corrected by rebooting the operating system, and it is considerably easier to cause memory confusion in the Windows universe . . .

In the scenario where someone wants to do 64-bit ReWire 2 with NOTION 4 and a DAW application but (a) wants to minimize the technical work and (b) wants to avoid spending money to upgrade to NOTION 4 unless there is a high degree of confidence that it will work, then the strategy I provided is the best strategy I know, since it minimizes the technical work and does not cost anything other than the time required to download the free and full-featured Reason 6.5 DEMO, plus I can provide a bit of help with some of it, which I think should be obvious in an implied way, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D

~ ~ Continued in next post ~ ~
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 am

~~ Continued from previous post ~ ~

pcartwright wrote:
Surfwhammy wrote:One of things that happens when Windows folks begin considering the possibility of doing ReWire is that the perspective regarding NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 is that their Windows DAW applications are perfect, so if there are any problems, then the problem must be caused by imperfections in NOTION 3 and NOTION 4, which generally is a bunch of nonsense, because NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 follow the ReWire and ReWire 2 rules, and NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 are good neighbors in the ReWIre and ReWire 2 neighborhoods . . .

What a load of crap! Certainly it takes two to tango in the rewire world, but I know that Notion 3 rewire for Windows was buggy. How do I know it was Notion 3 and not something else? Simple:

Sonar 7 rewired with Reason worked.
Sonar 7 rewired with Reaper worked.
Reaper rewired with Reason worked.
Sonar 7 rewired with Notion 3 did not work.
Reaper rewired with Notion 3 did not work.

Do you see the common denominator here?

There certainly is a common denominator, but the common denominator I see is very different from the one you see, and the differences are the presumptions (a) that the 32-bit versions of Sonar 7 and Reaper correctly implemented 32-bit ReWire (probably ReWire 1.7) and (b) that NOTION 3 did not implement 32-bit ReWire correctly . . .

In fact, this is one of the reasons that I decided to apply to become a third-party ReWire application developer, since I wanted to examine the ReWire infrastructure code as well as the various requirements that applications need to satisfy to do ReWire correctly . . .

My perspective is that Sonar 7 and the 32-bit version of Reaper at the time did not implement the 32-bit ReWire specification correctly in every respect, and I suggest this, because other Windows DAW applications had no problems doing 32-bit ReWire with NOTION 3 to the point that some of the video tutorials provided by Notion Music to demonstrate how to do 32-bit ReWire with NOTION 3 were done on a Windows 7 machine and, in fact, included both Cubase 5 and Sonar 8.5 as the DAW applications:

[NOTE: This video tutorial covers 32-bit ReWire (probably ReWire 1.7) and NOTION 3, which also is 32-bit . . . ]

NOTION3 ReWire Slave (Notion Music)

In particular, while including Sonar 8.5 certainly is relevant--since it strongly suggests that whatever the Cakewalk folks missed when they tried to implement ReWire in Sonar 7 was identified and corrected in Sonar 8.5--when you understand the background of the one-time cooperation and subsequent rivalry among the Propellerhead Software and Steinberg folks, I am very comfortable with the presumption that the Steinberg folks implemented ReWire perfectly in their Cubase 5 product, since from the perspective of the ensuing rivalry the Steinberg folks having to use the Propellerhead Software ReWire technology probably was a bit like walking barefoot on glass, and simply as a matter of pride or whatever the Steinberg folks would do everything perfectly just as a matter of what one might call "drill", because by correctly implementing ReWire in Cubase 5, the Steinberg folks achieve extra points, since they do their rival's stuff but their rivals apparently continue to be unable or unwilling to do the Steinberg stuff (VST and VSTi), hence instead of being humiliated by having to use their rival's technology, the Steinberg folks enjoy an especially sweet victory by doing their rival's technology perfectly . . .

pcartwright wrote:To answer the original post, I cannot say if Sonar X2 works with Notion 4 as I do not have Sonar X2. I use Sonar occasionally, but I did not install it on my most recent Windows build. I can say that Reaper x64 as host and Notion 4 x64 as slave on Win7 work very well together.

Are there any X2 users on the forum that care to share their results?

Exactly! :P

Earlier today, I was working on a reply to my first post, since I noticed something in the Sonar X2 information that is a bit troubling, and I was in the process of observing that there is verification from a reliable source that in the Windows universe NOTION 4 does 64-bit ReWire 2 with at least one 64-bit DAW application (specifically Reaper), and I was going to refer deanesque to you (pcartwright), but the telephone rang and I went to another room, followed by making a fresh pot of coffee, and after getting back to the computer I inadvertently pressed some key or perhaps two keys simultaneously on the keyboard and it moved the Firefox browser to a new page at which time the in-progress post was lost, and I was not in the mood to redo it, since I had been working on it for a few hours. I usually save in-progress posts every 10 to 15 minutes, but I had not saved that post, so when Firefox moved to a new page, it was gone . . .

When it comes to estimating people, I am more likely to overestimate than to underestimate, and you certainly did an excellent job with 64-bit Reaper and NOTION 4, as well as getting it to work with a video editor for doing some of the activities involved in film scoring . . .

Regarding the troubling bit of information about Sonar X2, this is what bothers me:

You can insert one instance of a ReWire application into each SONAR project.

[SOURCE: Sonar X2: ReWire Instruments (Cakewalk) ]

And it bothers me, because if you read it literally, it excludes being able to have Sonar X2 act as the ReWIre 2 host controller for two ReWire 2 slave applications in a single ReWire 2 session, where another reason this bothers me is that it excludes to possibility of NOTION 4 conrolling and playing Reason 6.5 instruments via music notation on NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, as well as using both NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 as sources for generated audio in a single ReWire 2 session . . .

It might be the case that I am reading incorrectly the information Cakewalk provided regarding Sonar X2, but until someone confirms it one way or the other, it is a bit troubling, because if the information Cakewalk provided literally is accurate, then it indicates that Cakewalk did not implement the full ReWIre 2 specification and so forth . . .

In contrast, as is evidenced in the video I did recently, Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) has no problems being the ReWIre 2 host controller for both NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 in a single ReWire 2 session where while Digital Performer 8 is controlling NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5, NOTION 4 also is controlling certain aspects of Reason 6.5 when it controls and plays some of the Reason 6.5 instruments via music notation on External MIDI staves, where for reference ReWire 2 handles the synchronizing, including the synchronizing involved with MIDI, where to be specific if this involved only NOTION 4 controlling and playing Reason 6.5 instruments via music notation on NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, then there would be requirements for handling MIDI synchronization, but when ReWire 2 is added to the mix of technologies, you get synchronized MIDI without actually needing to do anything additionally on the Mac, hence the key is to use both ReWire 2 and External MIDI staves in the scenario where NOTION 4 is the ReWire 2 host controller and Reason 5 is the ReWire 2 slave application, with this also being the case when Digital Performer 8 is the ReWire 2 host controller and NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 are the ReWire 2 slave applications, where as a secondary activity NOTION 4 is sending MIDI commands and instructions to Reason 6.5 via External MIDI staves, which is virtually mind-boggling in terms of complex interapplication communication and interoperability, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby vintagevibes » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:33 am

All this guessing is interesting but of little value to me. I would just like to know if any one can verify through personal experience that it works well.
vintagevibes

Postby tomr » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:33 pm

From my personal experiance I can confirm that x2 x64 and notion 4 seem to play well together in both win 7 and win 8 . I have not had any problms with rewire. My only complaint is that notion only supports 44.1khz sample rate.
tomr

Postby pcartwright » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:21 pm

tomr wrote:From my personal experiance I can confirm that x2 x64 and notion 4 seem to play well together in both win 7 and win 8 . I have not had any problms with rewire. My only complaint is that notion only supports 44.1khz sample rate.

Glad to hear it works.
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:My perspective is that Sonar 7 and the 32-bit version of Reaper at the time did not implement the 32-bit ReWire specification correctly in every respect, and I suggest this, because other Windows DAW applications had no problems doing 32-bit ReWire with NOTION 3 to the point that some of the video tutorials provided by Notion Music to demonstrate how to do 32-bit ReWire with NOTION 3 were done on a Windows 7 machine and, in fact, included both Cubase 5 and Sonar 8.5 as the DAW applications

Sure, Sonar was used as an example. You can certainly set up Sonar with rewire, but it wouldn't stay in sync with adjustments to tempo, etc. The same thing happened with Reaper and other hosts (this issue was discussed repeatedly in other threads on the forum). The issues with tempo sync do not seem to exist in Notion 4, so I think it is fairly reasonable to say that some adjustment between Notion 3 and Notion 4 resolved the issue.

In short, I think you're full of crap.

Fabulous! :ugeek:
pcartwright

Next

Return to NOTION