Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion Doesn't Play Two notes tremolos

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion Doesn't Play Two notes tremolos

Postby reztes » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Thank you all for the information. I think I'll put it in the hard way for playback, and I'll use the fingered tremolo articulation for printing. (I think it's not the best way but... at least, I can do it).
reztes

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:30 pm

reztes wrote:Thank you all for the information. I think I'll put it in the hard way for playback, and I'll use the fingered tremolo articulation for printing. (I think it's not the best way but... at least, I can do it).

Glad to help!

I had to do the same thing for Heavy Metal double kick drums, where doing it the "hard way" took me a month or two of experimenting to discover the correct combinations of notes and rests, in part because I never learned how to do music notation for drums, but also because there are different patterns, some of which are highly syncopated but nevertheless rapid . . .

The syncopation part of music notation is the most difficult aspect for me, but I am making a bit of progress with it now that I have discovered custom tuplets . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby reztes » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:48 am

Hello again,
I heard about something almost magic called "custom rules", heheh. I think the tutorial is too superficial so it will be hard to learn for me but I wonder if it's possible to modify the "fingered tremolo" behaviour. I would like to solve this because I think this kind of tremolo is very useful and important in marimba, piano, xylophone, etc
I would like to write the tremolo (d4, a5) an heard, at least, the 32th or the 64th (d4,a5,d4,a5,etc).
reztes

Postby Admin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Tremolo and Fingered Tremolo are two different techniques.

Tremolo is done by moving the bow rapidly across the string on the same note.

Fingered Tremolo is a trill-like tremolo that alternates between two notes that are more than a whole step apart.

We realize that different instruments have different names and definitions for these techniques. Eg., Fluttertongue, Tremolo on a guitar is much different when referring to a Whammy Bar. But in the overall, they have to be named something. So our definitions are suited for the above terminology.

There are some instruments that we have recorded samples for these techniques and some that we do not. For instance, there are no recorded Fingered Tremolo for the piano. If users want to get a Fingered Tremolo Effect from our library on those instruments, you can follow these steps to make them sound the way that you want them to sound.

1. Write them out using Step-Entry on Thirty-Seconds or Sixty-Fourths
2. Use Velocity Overdub to generate different velocities on each note - This will give you an effect of realism
3. Another effect for adding realism is that you can MIDI Record them in which will offset the timing of the Finger Tremolo.

If you want to get really fancy, write the Fingered Tremolo in as it is supposed to be written.
Note-duration "Shift + ?" Note-Duration. Then highlight it and set it to Tacet. On a second instance of the type instrument that is performing the Fingered Tremolo, write it out in the way that I described above. Then, Hide the staff in the Score Setup Window.

The objective here is to get the proper playback to happen in the secondary (hidden) version of the instrument while maintaning Printed Score integrity.

Have fun,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby reztes » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:51 am

Oh, I will try it!
Thank you very much.
reztes

Previous

Return to NOTION