Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

East West Symphonic Orchestra with Notion

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

East West Symphonic Orchestra with Notion

Postby mrarnesen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:16 pm

I wonder if anyone here use East West SO with Notion, and how it works?

As you might know East West has a big sale in December with a 50% discount. So you can get Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Complete Plus for only $497.50.

I guess I could ask this on their forum, but I like this forum and there's a lot of helpful and skilled users here. On one page I read that to use the Platinum version you should have "four or more high-end computers". And: "Where Silver can often run on a typical up-to-date home computer, even a laptop, Gold benefits from a high-end computer, or even a pair of computers to share the processing load."

This come from this site:
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/article/2 ... ilver.html

Is this really true? Or would an iMAC 2,8 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 16MB RAM do the job?

Am I right if this is much better than the orchestral sounds that comes with Kontakt 5?
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Re: East West Symphonic Orchestra with Notion

Postby Tatu » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:11 pm

I wonder how old those requirements are for EWQLSO.. About anything with enough RAM (8-16Gb) can run that baby these days. That iMac should have no problem at all with it (especially if you have them on an external FW/ThunderBolt drive) and if it does gets heavy for some reason, one can always switch to 16bit samples, which require about 50% less RAM compared to 24bit samples.

Even though EWQLSO is old, it's still a lot better and varied collection of samples compared to those Kontakt's VSL samples. just IMO.
Tatu

Postby Eftwyrd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:48 am

Well I use EWQLSO Gold and I only have 4GB RAM :(. But it works very well and I always have all the strings, brass and woodwinds loaded + Addictive Drums etc. and since Notion 4 and 64 Bit support it works very well.
Eftwyrd

Postby GaryExo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Eftwyrd wrote:Well I use EWQLSO Gold and I only have 4GB RAM :(. But it works very well and I always have all the strings, brass and woodwinds loaded + Addictive Drums etc. and since Notion 4 and 64 Bit support it works very well.

That's good to know as I only have 4GB RAM at the moment and am considering EWQLSO Gold due to the current discount offer. Do you happen to have any works I could hear which were created with EWQLSO Gold? Also, is the whole installation/authorisation procedure the nightmare that I've read about elsewhere?

Many thanks.
GaryExo

Postby Eftwyrd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:10 am

well, the installation was really not the easiest. it's a shame that the installer doesn't work well with win 7 and to get it working with notion you have to do a lot of copying an renaming. (as mentioned in a post about this, you have to create the same folder structure as you would have with the platinum version)..but nevertheless, it works :)
I created for example this one with EWQLSO Gold -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVGbDe7p9-g
It's not a classical one but it's EWQLSO and the whole notation was done in notion.
Eftwyrd

Postby GaryExo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 pm

Err, yes, it's certainly not classical. ;)

Thanks.
GaryExo

Return to NOTION