Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 am

One of my ongoing projects for quite a while has been to discover how to do External MIDI from NOTION to Reason (Propellerhead Software) on the Mac, and I discovered how to do it, in part based on a few key bits of information in the ongoing discussion for doing it in Windows . . .

Specifically, the technique involves using External MIDI staves in NOTION 4 to specify the music notation for Reason 6.5 instruments, and once you discover the rules it is easy to do, but the problem is that instead of a complete set of rules and examples, there are only bits and pieces of information, hence it takes a while to make sense of everything, but so what . . .

So what!

One of the presumptions is that everyone understands MIDI, which is fine if you understand MIDI but not so spanky otherwise, and for me I had to do a lot of reading and watching MIDI video tutorials before MIDI started making enough sense to be able to do something with it, and this included discovering how to make sense of configuring an Apple computer correctly for MIDI . . .

It also involves ReWIre 2 (Propellerhead Software), which is the practical way to do it . . .

[NOTE: This is done on a 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 20GB of memory running Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) and a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid digital audio interface, which includes a 16-channel MIDI interface. I am not certain that the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid is necessary, but it was running when everything started working, so until I do some experiments I am following the pattern, which includes the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid handling the audio, which for reference is the way I get the digital audio converted to analog to run the studio monitor system . . . ]

It all starts with the External MIDI feature of NOTION 4, which is used to create special staves for a NOTION 4 score, where these staves send their notes to an external MIDI device as MIDI commands and instructions, for example to a KORG Triton Music Workstation (88-Keys), so that (a) the music notation in NOTION 4 plays the external MIDI device and (b) the audio is generated by the external MIDI device, and this is done via running MIDI cables from the MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid to the KORG Triton Music Workstation, which is great but I have not tried it yet, hence it its value is a matter of being a strange type of support for the general idea, where it is not so much a matter of actually needing to do it as it is a matter of being confident that people do this, hence it probably works . . .

[NOTE: In NOTION 4 score setup, when you select External MIDI, a set of four MIDI ports appears, and you then select one of the MIDI ports for the staff you are creating, where for reference a MIDI port has 16 channels, so you also select a channel as part of the staff setup step . . . ]

NOTION 4 Score Setup Instrument Sources ~ External MIDI

What I want to do is to use Reason 6.5 instead of the KORG Triton Music Workstation, and the odd aspect is that instead of being an external MIDI device, Reason 6.5 in this scenario is an application running on the same computer as NOTION 4, but since both applications (NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5) are MIDI-aware, instead of using physical MIDI cables the strategy is to use virtual MIDI cables, and since everything is easier to do on the Mac, it just happens that there are virtual MIDI cables on the Mac, and they are provided by the IAC Driver component found in the Mac OS X Audio MIDI Setup utility . . .

With Audio MIDI Setup, you can use a feature known as the IAC driver to allow MIDI apps to transfer information to each other. For example, you might have a MIDI keyboard app send its MIDI data to a MIDI synthesizer app.

[SOURCE: Help for the Mac OS X Audio MIDI Setup utility . . . ]

Mac OS X Audio MIDI Setup ~ MIDI Studio Components

The following screen capture shows the detailed properties dialog for the IAC Driver, and it is where you create virtual MIDI cables to use to run MIDI from one application to another, and for reference these are the default names, where instead of calling them "ports" they are called "buses", but you can edit the names and use whatever you desire, although I used the default names to make it easier to understand . . .

IAC Driver Properties Dialog

These are better names for the ports, where conceptually they are the names of the virtual MIDI cables:

IAC Driver Properties Dialog ~ Better Names for the Ports (a.k.a., Virtual MIDI Cables)

And this is the way the External MIDI staves look in the NOTION 4 score, where I used names that show which MIDI port and channel pair is used for the respective staves:

NOTION 4 Score ~ MIDI Port A Channel 1 Staff and MIDI Port A Channel 2 Staff

This is the way the NOTION 4 MIDI tab for Preferences looks with the better names for the virtual MIDI cables:

NOTION 4 Preferences ~ MIDI Tab ~ Better Names

You need to create a ReWire channel in the NOTION 4 Mixer to receive the audio generated by Reason 6.5, and when this is done, the three relevant channels or tracks look like this:

[NOTE: This is the simple way to do the ReWire 2, where the audio generated by Reason 6.5 is the Master stereo output for Reason 6.5 and is sent via the ReWIre 2 channel pair "1-2", but there is a more elaborate way to do it where each instrument in Reason 6.5 has its own ReWire 2 channel pair, which works best if you need to be able to adjust the relevant volume levels and to apply VST effects plug-ins in the NOTION 4 Mixer, so the particular setup depends on what you need to do . . . ]

NOTION 4 Mixer ~ Two External MIDI Channels and Single ReWire Channel

And while the better names are nice, I used the "IAC Bus 1" style names, so use the not so good names for a while . . .

The Reason 6.5 stuff is in the next post, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Re: NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:50 am

Continuing from the previous post, there are a few things that need to be done in Reason 6.5 (Propellerhead Software), of course . . .

Of course!

The first thing to do is to let Reason 6.5 know which virtual MIDI cables you are using, and this is done via the Reason 6.5 Preferences in the Advanced Settings tab, as follows:

[NOTE: The MIDI clock synchronization is handled by ReWire 2 automagically, but you can set it anyway . . . ]

Reason 6.5 Preferences ~ Advanced Settings ~ Virtual MIDI Cables

The next part of configuring Reason 6.5 involves assigning instruments to the MIDI port channels, which conceptually involves running a virtual MIDI cable from the NOTION 4 External MIDI staves to two of the Reason 6.5 instruments, and this is done in the simple way via the Reason 6.5 Hardware Interface component in the Reason 6.5 Rack, as follows:

Reason 6.5 ~ Hardware Interface ~ Advanced MIDI Device

If you look at the top-left, you will see that Reason 6.5 is running in ReWire Slave Mode, and if you look at the lower-left, you will see that there are two instruments ("ID8 1 In" and "Thor 1 In") where "ID8 1 In" is on "CHANNEL 1" and "Thor 1 In" is on "CHANNEL 2" . . .

For reference, when you create the two instruments in Reason 6.5, they are routed correctly internally for MIDI, so assigning the MIDI channels is done via drop-down lists . . .

The audio generated by Reason 6.5 is sent to NOTION 4 via ReWire 2 channel pair "1-2" which is the Master stereo output of Reason 6.5 . . .

In the simple technique, this is all that needs to be done, but if you want each Reason 6.5 instrument to have its own ReWire 2 channel pair, then there is a way to do this, as well, and the advantage is that you can mix the Reason 6.5 instruments with the NOTION 4 Mixer rather than mixing them via the Reason 6.5 Mixer, which is a bit complex, but it makes sense when you have used Reason 6.5 for a while and have a good general sense of the way Reason 6.5 works . . .

Since you can have other instruments and vocals in Reason 6.5, you can work with them exclusively in Reason 6.5 and send their audio to NOTION 4 via ReWire 2, where for these instruments and voices NOTION 4 primarily is receiving the generated audio and controlling the transport . . .

You can have other instrument staves in the NOTION 4 score where they are either NOTION 4 Bundled instruments or VSTi virtual instruments, which gives you three ways to play instruments:

(1) Play a NOTION 4 Bundled or VSTi virtual instrument using music notation in the NOTION 4 score . . .

(2) Play a Reason 6.5 instrument via music notation done in NOTION 4 on an External MIDI staff . . .

(3) Play instruments and singing in Reason 6.5 natively but send the generated audio to NOTION 4 via ReWire 2, where NOTION 4 is the ReWire 2 host controller and Reason 6.5 is the ReWire 2 slave . . .

(1), (2), and (3) are done in the same NOTION 4 score and ReWire 2 session with Reason 6.5, where for all practical purposes Reason 6.5 becomes an extension of NOTION 4, since in the grand scheme of everything NOTION 4 is the ReWire host controller, and all this stuff is done in 64-bit mode, although with suitable "bridging" software you can include 32-bit VSTi virtual instruments in the mix . . .

And you also can include a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application like Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) or Logic Pro 9 (Apple) in the mix to make it possible to do even more stuff, but in the DAW application scenario it should be the ReWire 2 host controller and both NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 acting as ReWire 2 slaves . . .

THOUGHTS

This works nicely, and I am planning to do a video to show how everything happens, and the advantage of using Reason 6.5 is that it tends to be more focused on modern genres and sounds, which includes having specialized instruments that work differently from the way VSTi virtual instruments work when they are controlled via music notation, where one way to explain the difference is that Reason 6.5 is focused more on "play by ear" concepts and techniques, while NOTION 4 is focused on music notation, where if you need to do something but it is not so easy to do with music notation, then it might be easy to do in Reason 6.5 using some type of automated "music machine" or whatever . . .

The perspective here in the sound isolation studio is that there are several categories or types of music creation strategies, and I like to be able to do all of them:

(1) Real instruments and singing recorded via microphones in a DAW application . . .

(2) Composed NOTION 4 Bundled and VSTi virtual instruments played via music notation . . .

(3) Composed Reason 6.5 instruments played via MIDI commands and instructions done via music notation in NOTION 4 . . .

SUMMARY

I will do a bit of editing on this, but it documents what I discovered and what actually works on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio . . .

For the video, I will use the song "Faster" (Techno Squirrels), and the NOTION 4 score has two VSTi virtual instruments, including a MachFive 3 (MOTU) Jazz Bass and Hammond B-3 Organ with Leslie rotating speakers, which is interesting, but the NOTION 4 score also has two External MIDI "instruments" which actually are playing instruments in Reason 6.5 via MIDI commands and instructions, which in terms of complexity is virtually mind-boggling, but it works very smoothly and is quite fascinating to watch, because the song by the Techno Squirrels has a lot of instruments and singing . . .

And as noted when a separate Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application like Digital Performer 8 or Logic Pro 9 is included, I think this particular set of primary digital music production applications covers everything when you include a studio with some microphones and real instruments, as well as some real external effects units, where for reference at present I view Reason 6.5 more as a super advanced "music box", "beat machine", and so forth type of digital music production application, where the DAW application and microphones cover the real instruments and voices; Reason 6.5 covers the music machine stuff; and NOTION 4 covers the composed music via music notation and virtual instruments stuff, which in the grand scheme of everything makes it a complete system, and you can do this on the Mac or in Windows, but overall I think it is considerably easier to do it on the Mac, since more of the infrastructure is handled automagically on the Mac, hence "just happens", which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D

P. S. I have been working on this for approximately 18 hours, so there probably are some typographical mistakes here and there, but I will do a bit of editing later. The important aspects from my perspective are (a) that this works and (b) that I documented it while I remembered how it works, and it actually is pretty easy to do, but discovering exactly how to do it is not so easy, because nobody takes the time to explain everything and for stuff like this all it takes is one tiny thing being wrong and then nothing works, hence explaining everything is not optional, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:55 pm

I made a video which explains some of the key bits of information for the Mac related to using External MIDI staves in NOTION 4 (64-bit) to control instruments in 64-bit Reason 6.5 (Propellerhead Software), and it includes an overview of the various settings and parameters for Audio MIDI Setup (Mac OS X), NOTION 4, and Reason 6.5 . . .

The video is approximately 30 minutes, which is a bit longer than I anticipated, but it covers pretty much everything, so I did not edit it . . .

[NOTE: When the song starts playing, there are some quality issues every once in a while (skips, jumps, or whatever), but this is due to running Screenflow (Telestream) to capture the audio and visual information, which is happening along with running NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5; doing MIDI and ReWire 2; and having two instances of the MachFive 3 (MOTU) synthesizer as VSTi virtual instruments for NOTION 4. The audio is perfect when Screenflow is not included in the set of applications running in real-time, so I think the correct way to interpret the audio quality issue is that it provides a clue to the available overhead when Screenflow is not capturing the audio and visual information at high resolution. And for reference Screenflow captured approximately 880MB of raw audio and visual data for this video, where I could have rendered the video in lossless format but that would make it approximately 1GB, where high-quality QuickTime movie was 450MB, hence the strategy to render the video as a low-quality QuickTIme movie, where it is approximately 65MB . . . ]

NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, External MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac (The Surf Whammys) -- featuring "Faster" (Techno Squirrels) -- QuickTime Movie -- MOV (65MB, approximately 32 minutes and 30 seconds)

THOUGHTS

After reading the previous posts in this topic and watching the video, I think it should be obvious that it takes a while to make sense of all this stuff, because there are a lot of parameters, options, settings, and so forth, all of which need to be configured correctly, and there is the music notation and all that stuff, but if you work on it for a while, it makes sense, and then there you are . . .

I might not need to do all this stuff all the time, but the perspective here in the sound isolation studio is that I want to be able to do everything when I need to be able to do everything . . .

The specific combination of NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, Digital Performer 8 or Logic Pro 9, along with a nice assortment of VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins maps to being able to do everything when you include some real instruments, microphones, and real singing . . .

This is important, because you might be hopping around the backyard on your pogo stick and suddenly have the idea for a new song about ladies underpants which is a combination of "Hey Good Lookin'" (Hank Wiliams), "Yellow Submarine" (Beatles), "Who Let The Dogs Out" (The Baha Men), and "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" (Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky), and with this complete system you can do it, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :P

P. S. The logical follow-up experiment is to add Digital Performer 8 to the set of applications, where Digital Performer 8 is the ReWIre 2 host controller and NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 are the ReWire 2 slaves, with NOTION 4 controlling and playing two of the Reason 6.5 instruments via External MIDI . . .

And after doing a quick test, this also works very nicely, for sure . . .

For sure! :ugeek:
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 pm

I also made a video showing Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) as the ReWire 2 host controller, with NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 (Propellerhead Software) as ReWire 2 slaves, where NOTION 4 is controlling two of the Reason 6.5 instruments via a pair of External MIDI staves, which basically is the same scenario, except that Digital Performer 8 is the 64-bit ReWire 2 host controller rather than NOTION 4 . . .

The key difference is that since the ReWire 2 host controller handles the audio, the ReWire 2 track in NOTION 4 does not receive the audio generated by Reason 6.5, hence I added two tracks to the Digital Performer 8 mixing board, where one track receives the ReWire 2 audio from NOTION 4 and the other track receives the ReWire 2 audio from Reason 6.5 . . .

NOTION 4 continues to handle the two MachFive 3 synthesizer VSTi virtual instruments (Jazz Bass and Hammond B3 Organ), and NOTION 4 continues to handle the two External MIDI staves . . .

Reason 6.5 does the Techno Squirrels demo song ("Faster"), but it also provides two synthesizers that NOTION 4 controls via MIDI instructions and commands . . .

This video is approximately the same size as the previous video, but I rendered it at a higher video resolution so that it is easier to see everything, and there is not so much detail on how everything is set, configured, and so forth . . .

Digital Performer 8, NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, External MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac -- QuickTime Movie -- MOV (63.7MB, approximately 14 minutes and 45 seconds)

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby patrickjbrowne00 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:57 pm

The link to:

"NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, External MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac (The Surf Whammys) -- featuring "Faster" (Techno Squirrels) -- QuickTime Movie -- MOV (65MB, approximately 32 minutes and 30 seconds)"

does not work. Can you please reload the link? Thanks.

Patrick
patrickjbrowne00

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:53 am

patrickjbrowne00 wrote:The link to:

"NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, External MIDI, ReWire 2 on the Mac (The Surf Whammys) -- featuring "Faster" (Techno Squirrels) -- QuickTime Movie -- MOV (65MB, approximately 32 minutes and 30 seconds)"

does not work. Can you please reload the link? Thanks.

Patrick

I fixed the link, so it works now . . .

Lots of FUN!
:)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION