Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Bowed Percussion

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Bowed Percussion

Postby reztes » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:17 am

Does Notion have any bowed percussion in its sounds and/or in its expanded sounds?
I would like a bowed tam-tam, a bowed gong, a bowed vibraphone and things like these.
reztes

Re: Bowed Percussion

Postby dcd111 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:50 am

If you look under the Techniques palette for a given instrument, it will list if a bowed technique is available. I don't believe any of the non-pitched percussion has a bowed technique. As for pitched percussion, I believe the Notion instruments with bowed techniques are the Crotales, Marimba, and Vibraphone.
dcd111

Postby reztes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Thank, I saw them. What a pitty that there aren't any bowed non-pitched percussion in Notion sounds ....
reztes

Postby dgriffee » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:50 am

Not a Notion sound as you ultimately wish... but have you tried loading EWQLSO bowed crotales, vibes, gongs, or their "waterphone" as VSTi plugins? I'm an old percussionist and using a bow on metal stuff was always one of my favorite tricks, EWQL did a really nice job capturing the otherworldly effect of such techniques.
dgriffee

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:03 pm

If you have Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), then Bolder Sounds has a lot of specialty instruments with bowed articulations, including Crystal Glasses, Handbells, and Tibetan Singing Bowls, but the Handbells and Tibetan Singing Bowls are "bowed" with wooden dowels rather than with a cello bow, which is fabulous . . .

1 of 6 Sets of Crystal Glasses

[NOTE: There are short and long articulations for the bowed Crystal Glasses, which are played with a cello bow, and it is a virtual festival of timbre and texture, since there also are granular Crystal pads and singing Crystal pads (wet finger run around the rim), as well as hits and soft hits with tiny mallets . . . ]

Crystal Glasses V2 Kontakt (Bolder Sounds)

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION