Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

VSTi Settings Not Saved With Notion File...?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

VSTi Settings Not Saved With Notion File...?

Postby BrundleFly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:15 pm

So I have this solo piano project that I changed from using Notion's piano to TruePianos. I selected a non-default piano patch, and tweaked some settings in the VSTi interface, and saved the project.

Today when I open it, I'm hearing the default piano. So I open the TruePianos interface, and all the settings are back to defaults. :o

This would be a nightmare if it happened with one of the big multi-timbral, orchestral synths, so I gather the ability to save VSTi parameter settings applies to specifically supported orchestral synths but not to all VSTis. I this right?

I've never encountered a VST host that doesn't automatically save current VST parameter settings with the project file.
BrundleFly

Re: VSTi Settings Not Saved With Notion File...?

Postby kvapka » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:07 am

VST working in Notion is strange. If you want save change parametres of VSTi, select preset one and open your saved preset and notion save it. This is very bad for VSTi which dont have preset/bank, change/save buttons.
kvapka

Postby pcartwright » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 am

I could not replicate this issue. I loaded truepianos, put in a few notes, changed the settings on the VSTi (adjusted the sound module, velocity curve, reverb, and release), saved the file, closed, and re-opened. All of the adjustments made previously were still applied.
pcartwright

Postby BrundleFly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:27 pm

Strange. I can't imagine how this would be platform or config-dependent, but it is definitely not working here.

Maybe I need more RAM... :D
BrundleFly

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 pm

kvapka wrote:VST working in Notion is strange. If you want save change parametres of VSTi, select preset one and open your saved preset and notion save it. This is very bad for VSTi which dont have preset/bank, change/save buttons.

This happens with a few 64-bit VST plug-ins on the Mac, in particular Timeless 2 and Pro-C (FabFilter Software Instruments), and it is a bit annoying, but once you know it happens you can create user-defined presets and load them, provide the VST plug-in supports user-defined presets . . .

I consider this to be more of an annoyance, because I do the real VST effects plug-in work in the the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application (Digital Performer [MOTU] or Logic Pro 9 [Apple]) rather than in NOTION, but there are times when it is convenient to use a VST effects plug-in in NOTION . . .

The "workaround" is that you need to remember to create and save user-defined presets and to load them when you open an existing NOTION score . . .

Lots of FUN . . . :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby ChrisHeinen » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm having the same problem.

My TruePianos settings ARE saved and restored in a Notion score as long as I select "Atlantis" and "Amber" but my TruePianos settings ARE NOT restored (and I presume not saved) with "Diamond".

Very, very strange.

I also noticed in looking for differences in comparing working/failing test scores that the size of the test score on the file system was SMALLER when it DID NOT restore the "Diamond" preset. I'm thinking that Notion is "bugging out" (a very advanced computer term) when serializing certain TruePianos settings such as found with the "Diamond" config.

FWIW, the Reaper DAW can save/restore ALL TruePianos settings, for all TruePianos instruments, without fail, so, in principle, this serialization/de-serialization can be coded to work in computer software.

Admin, could you start a ticket on this, please?

And, by the way, I respectfully DIS-agree that it is merely an annoyance. Instrument settings are part-and-parcel to the successful lifecycle of a project. Would you consider it an "annoyance" if your word processor sometimes used a different font because it couldn't save/restore the one you chose? GMAB

Thanks,
CH
ChrisHeinen

Postby Admin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:27 am

I am working on this issue. We are waiting for a response from True Pianos so that we may obtain a copy of True Pianos and test this problem that you are describing. I imagine that we should have an answer from them soon.

I downloaded the Demo of the software, but it does not contain the Diamond module patch. Settings were saved in the Atlantis module as stated earlier in this thread. I need to get a full copy of the software to test with.

I have opened a ticket.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:16 pm

ChrisHeinen wrote:I'm having the same problem.

My TruePianos settings ARE saved and restored in a Notion score as long as I select "Atlantis" and "Amber" but my TruePianos settings ARE NOT restored (and I presume not saved) with "Diamond".

Very, very strange.

For reference, some of the FabFilter Software Instruments VST effects and their Twin 2 VSTi virtual instrument have the same problem, although Twin 2 reloads the correct preset but does not indicate it, where it continues to display "Default" as the preset, even though it has loaded the correct present . . .

I am not convinced that this is a NOTION 4 problem, but it could be . . .

The logical workaround is to create your own user-defined custom preset and to save it every time you make changes in a session. Then when you save the NOTION 4 project and later open it, you can restore the correct settings by loading your user-defined custom preset, which actually is a good thing to do regardless, since even when everything is remembered correctly, it makes sense to save it as a user-defined custom preset so that you can use it in other songs . . .

I am not familiar with True Piano, but I know that some or perhaps all the FabFilter Software Instruments products support both VST 2 and VST 3, where VST 2 is the most commonly supported and is the version that NOTION 4 supports, and it might have something to do with which set of VST functionality the plug-ins and virtual instruments are using . . .

VST 3 adds a lot of vastly complex functionality, and for the most part only the Steinberg DAW application supports all of it in a few or perhaps only one of its VSTi virtual instruments, where with VST 3.5 and VST Expressions 2, you can do elaborate tailoring of individual notes. It is very powerful, but the power comes at the price of switching from working with a magnifying glass to working with an electron microscope, in a manner of speaking . . .

VST 3 (Steinberg)

VST Expression 2 (Steinberg)

The simple workaround is to create your own user-defined custom presets and to use them explicitly to restore the settings for VSTi virtual instruments and VST effects plug-ins that do not do this automagically . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:59 am

From what I can tell about this issue, the Atlantis is the default loaded module in True Pianos. Whenever it is opened, it reverts back to Atlantis with the Default preset loaded.

I am not certain why this is happening. I got in touch with the guys over at True Pianos and they told me that they had a utility package that users could run to set some different preferences with some of the different hosts applications. I ran that and it did not resolve the issue.

I am going to forward this issue over to our development team. They will run some tests using our save functionalities to see if one of the levels of saving is sending some sort of message that is causing True Pianos to change settings when the score is being closed.

Ticket Created.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby BrundleFly » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:15 pm

TruePianos settings not being saved when the Diamond module is selected would explain why I encountered the issue since that's my preferred module.

Any more updates on this?
BrundleFly

Return to NOTION