Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Library Presets...

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Library Presets...

Postby francois_harel » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Dear Mr. Astinov,
Thank you for your software, which was very useful for me.

When I try to use two libraries, the library from N3 and an other VST library, the global sound magnitude was very different, leading to a non-operational setup because I don't ear anything from my VST library. I saw this sound amplitude difference for many vst libraries compared to the N3 library. I know that I can use the mixer but...do you have any comment about that ?

Also, it would be very useful for me to see all presets provided by my other libraries. In the menu at the right bottom of the N3 screen, when I use the VST menu (sidebar), I just see the vst name but not all the preset provided by the vst library. Is it possible, for me, to build a tpk file that will be use by N3 to display and command preset selection for my other libraries ?
Thank you for your answer.
Francois, Montreal
QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, 4 SATA2 drives on Vista x64.
Finale 2011b, Sonar PE 8.5.2, KP2, K3 and K4, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB
EWQLSO Silver and Plat+ on PLAY 2.0.25
Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
francois_harel

Re: Library Presets...

Postby Novatlan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:27 am

I second that, VST presets are incredibly useful and should be supported by Notion.
You could make a soundset editor like Sibelius has.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby astinov » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:41 am

Hello everyone,

I'm currently on vacation and out of the US, but wanted to just quickly comment on those posts.

Francois, could you tell me more about the problem you run into. I think if you could attach a score it would be most useful. Particularly because I haven't heard this from a customer before.

And also, yes we do plan of providing people with a way to create their own custom setups, while continuing to expand our current orchestral presets.

Thank you!

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby antoncct » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 am

I'm a Sibelius 6 user and I use the wonderful sound-sets of Jonathan Loving for the EWQL orchestra, KOntakt version.
I'm waiting presets or sound-set for the Kontakt 3 version of EWQL and other VST libraries, to decide to move a Notion from Sibelius... ( for many reasons I find better the Kontakt version than Play .... )

Have you any plan to support presets for this libraries on Kontakt 3 ??

Thanks

Antonio - Italy
antoncct

Postby Novatlan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:36 am

See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=315
It works pretty well loading patches manually. Lubo has mentioned that Notion will eventually release a tutorial on creating own soundsets, so for the time being this should be the best solution.
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
Novatlan

Postby antoncct » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:03 am

Novatlan wrote:See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=315
It works pretty well loading patches manually. Lubo has mentioned that Notion will eventually release a tutorial on creating own soundsets, so for the time being this should be the best solution.

Loading patch manually ? Creating my own soundset ?? Sorry, I prefer stay with Sibelius, that's better !
antoncct

Postby Novatlan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:32 am

Did you actually try what I suggested?

It is much easier than Sibelius (which I use, too, by the way).
You load the VST (like in Sibelius)
You load the preset in the VST (like in Sibelius).
That's it.

In Sibelius you additionally have to create a new playback configuration and save it.

If you want to have everything automated, you have to create a soundet. Just as in Sibelius. I perfectly well know that there are soundsets for EWQLSO Kontakt for Sibelius, but these, too, have been created by an outside person (in this case Mr. Loving). I am sure that similar soundsets will be created for Notion. But this takes time. Rome wasn't built in one day, it took at least two or three :)
Notion have announced that they are planning to support more libraries automatically in the future. Please give them a bit of time.

Integration of libraries in Notion is far superior to Sibelius. Just try EWQLSO Play or Vienna SE! No configuration at all, it works out of the box.
Even manually loaded VSTs (which is what you would have to do until soundsets are available) are far easier to handle than in Sibelius.
Novatlan

Postby antoncct » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Novatlan wrote:Did you actually try what I suggested?
If you want to have everything automated, you have to create a soundet.
I am sure that similar soundsets will be created for Notion.
But this takes time. Rome wasn't built in one day.
Notion have announced that they are planning to support more libraries automatically in the future.
Integration of libraries in Notion is far superior to Sibelius. Just try EWQLSO Play or Vienna SE!.....

Make a sound set is not an easy thing ,not for me .... I'm a musician, not a computer programer.

You are sure that similar soundsets will be created for Notion, but I'm not sure.

This takes time. Rome wasn't built in in one day : I wait, but not buy now.

Notion have announced that they are planning to support ore libraries automatically : which libraries ?? I wrote to Notion for the EWQL Kontakt question, and made many post on this forum, but nobody has confirmed they have plan to make presets for the Kontakt player.

Integration of libraries is far superior to Sibelius : Sure!!! but not for the Kontakt player. Sibelius has an excellent sound set for the Kontakt instrument.

Last, I think you are too optmistic, I use not to buy promise, but real things.... . If you work for Notion, please suggest them to be clear and tell us what they are going to do in the future.
antoncct

Postby fandango » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:53 pm

Likewise, I prefer to use Kontakt 4 to host my libraries as it gives me vastly more control over tweaking and FX without having to fill up mixer slots. (as apposed to using the player VST)

e.g., I'm not really sure how, if you use Kontakt 4 to load EWQLSO (or Symphony of Voices, or Tonehammer, or GPO Kontakt, etc.), Notion knows whether to use CC1, CC7 or CC11 for hairpins, or whether to start keyswitches at C0, C1, C2, etc.

In general, I'm hoping it will be possible to 'override' some of the articulations and dynamics manually at some point.
fandango

Postby dgriffee » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:07 pm

fairly soon we have been promised a tutorial on how to write creation of all sorts of our own special plugin rules config files for Notion. That being said, there is some implicit good news for folks who are "not a programmer" or otherwise not inclined to the diy approach. Myself I am just another end user out here buying into the capabilities and promise of Notion software same as anyone else (not a Notion Music employee, nope not even close.) There are quite strong numbers of us public users being very active here in the Notion forum who also happen to be :geek: programmer types of folks , and you can be sure that soon as the howto info gets public here you will see a flurry of contributions being shared for other popular setups in addition to beyond whatever our freinds at NotionMusic are providing by then.

(hey... let's hang on just a little while, Lubo is a champion and deserves courtesy of some vacation)
dgriffee

Next

Return to NOTION