Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Cross staff notation

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Cross staff notation

Postby pcartwright » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:14 am

Surfwhammy wrote:I am not opposed to Notion Music adding some level of cross staff functionality to NOTION, but I think it is important to put everything into perspective and to realize that what might appear to be "easy" and "simple" probably is not the least bit easy and simple when considered from the perspective of getting all the computing done within 1 to 5 milliseconds, where one might suggest that 1 millisecond is the target "window of opportunity" for accurately synchronized and rendered high-quality audio . . .

Again, rubbish.

Notion gave (or I should say is in the process of giving) a lot of new features to custom rule writers for which I am very grateful. Now then, it's up to Notion to decide on where to focus development efforts, but let's not pretend that complexity of execution should be a factor on what should and should not be developed.
pcartwright

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:23 am

pcartwright wrote:
Surfwhammy wrote:While in some respects it might be "nice" if NOTION did all this stuff, in other respects it might not be so "nice" if doing it comes at the conceptual expense of NOTION losing its practical focus and consequently not being able to do something which it needs to be able to do . . .

Rubbish.

Cross staff beaming has nothing to do conceptually with Notion's focus. Of all the notation requests made by the Notion community (some more reasonable than others), cross staff beaming is the most most fundamental to the end user:
1. Cross staff beaming is absolutely necessary for harp and keyboard notation.
2. Students need cross staff beaming for theory and counterpoint study in colleges and universities (all of my theory and counterpoint lessons required the grand staff, and cross staff beaming was regularly needed for three and four voice textures).
3. Composers who wish to provide print copies of scores need cross staff beaming for proper notation.
4. Users who only want the sound of a glissando harp or piano going from bass to treble clef can certainly achieve the same results in other ways, but cross staff beaming would be much simpler and easier to read than the alternatives.

The point is that it is in Notion's interest to include cross staff beaming to maintain its practical focus.

The first three items in your list are focused exclusively on engraving and advanced printing, and this can be done in Sibelius 7 (Avid) or Finale 2012C (MakeMusic Inc.), which is the primary focus of those applications, hence I view it mostly as a matter of some folks trying to be a bit too frugal with their digital music production software budgets, and for reference there are student editions available with corresponding student pricing and discounts . . .

However, I agree about the fourth item, and it was part of the example I provided, where although it might not have been so obvious, the glissando that started on a dotted half-rest on the treble clef was intended to begin on the third quarter note on the bass clef, except that if you select the glissandi tool and click between the third note on the bass clef and the last quarter note on the treble clef, the glissando is drawn from the dotted half-rest to the last quarter note on the treble clef, which obviously makes no sense and as noted is a bit of a mess, and I consider it to be a "bug", really . . .

And the same thing happens with lyrics and pedal up/down actions, which I also included in the aforementioned example . . .

THOUGHTS

As you might know, I do everything on the soprano treble clef, and here in the sound isolation studio there are 12 notes and approximately 8 or so octaves. Additionally, every diligent effort is made to ensure that each note has exactly one name, where toward this goal I use sharps but typically avoid using flats whenever possible, because allowing nonsense like {A#|B♭} only adds confusion to something which already is complex, and the same rule applies to allowing a virtual festival of key signatures, binary time signatures, modes, and all that stuff, none of which is mathematically elegant . . .

Consider the seven traditional modes for example (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian), where if you play a diatonic scale with only the white keys of a piano starting on Middle C (C4 in scientific pitch notation), then the scale is Ionian, while if you start on D, the scale is Dorian, and so forth and so on . . .

If you actually take the time to research everything with a focus on identifying patterns and so forth, then what you discover is that there are many more scales than modes, even when you allow other flavors of historical modes and newly created modes, which after several months of pondering led me to realize that the important things are scales rather than modes, hence insofar as I am concerned that part of what one might call "traditional" music theory is just a bunch of nonsense (or "rubbish", if you prefer), and it confuses everything rather than simplifies it conceptually, because by definition it is flawed and it points people in the wrong direction . . .

SUMMARY

Considering your expertise in custom rules and all that stuff, I am a bit surprised that you appear not to be concerned about everything that happens behind the scenes once the "Play" button is pressed and NOTION begins its work as the real-time audio playback dispatcher, manager, and controller . . .

Regarding adding some type of logical cross staff support in a future version or update to NOTION, this will be fine with me, so long as it does not affect the core performance of NOTION with respect to real-time playback, which includes doing accurate and timely ReWire 2, NTempo, and so forth . . .

I like graphic design and typography, and while these are not among my special skills, I know more about them than most folks, primarily as the consequence of doing GUI software engineering in the Windows universe, but also from working with graphic designers on various entertainment and publishing projects, and there certainly is profound merit to "looking good", but in some instances "looking good" comes at a price, and my primary concern is that cross staff enhancements have what in software engineering is called a "small footprint" . . .

Another way to understand the "behind the scenes" aspect is to use the analogy, metaphor, or simile of "swimming lanes", where the general idea is that the visual aspects of a NOTION score actually are divided into a set of "lanes", which is an excellent way to conceptualize a NOTION score for GUI programming purposes, where there are lanes for lyrics, lanes for note voices, lanes for articulations, lanes for dynamics, lanes for MIDI stuff, and so forth and so on, which makes it more a matter of traffic management, where instead of managing cars, trucks, and bicycles, one is managing "swimmers" in such a way that everything happens smoothly over time without causing "collisions", "bottlenecks", "traffic jams", "slowdowns", and so forth in the various "lanes" . . .

From an entirely different perspective, which makes a bit of sense when you know that my major in college was Psychology before I switched it to Computer Science and Mathematics, there is what I like to call the "Reverse Psychology ~ 'B. F. Skinner' Pigeon" aspect, which in its succinct form is described by the "Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease" rule, except that I make a graciously diligent effort to include a bit of what might be useful information when I "squeak" . . .

Regarding clefs and transpositions, consider what happens where there are a Piano, English Horn, and Clarinet in the house and the goal is to explain to three reasonably bright children how to play Middle C . . .

The child playing Piano plays Middle C (C4); but the child playing Clarinet has to play what on their sheet music is D4; and the child playing English Horn has to play what on their sheet music is G4, and how does that help any of them make sense of music without becoming completely and totally confused for no reason other than the arbitrary promotion of babbling . . .

[NOTE: The same thing happens on guitar, which is another instrument that some rocket scientist arbitrarily decided should have a transposed clef, with result that most guitar players quite incorrectly think that the C at the third fret of the low-pitch "A" string is Middle C, when it actually is the C below Middle C (a.k.a., "Low C"), while Middle C is the note at the 1st fret of the high-pitch "b" string . . . ]

The only thing that makes me madder is when people have a piano in the house and do not keep it properly tuned when there are children present, which actually applies to every musical instrument, because what happens is that the minds of children become imprinted with out of tune notes, and while some children can deal with it by making intuitive adjustments if they have relative pitch, this is not always the case . . .

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:57 am

pcartwright wrote:
Surfwhammy wrote:I am not opposed to Notion Music adding some level of cross staff functionality to NOTION, but I think it is important to put everything into perspective and to realize that what might appear to be "easy" and "simple" probably is not the least bit easy and simple when considered from the perspective of getting all the computing done within 1 to 5 milliseconds, where one might suggest that 1 millisecond is the target "window of opportunity" for accurately synchronized and rendered high-quality audio . . .

Again, rubbish.

Notion gave (or I should say is in the process of giving) a lot of new features to custom rule writers for which I am very grateful. Now then, it's up to Notion to decide on where to focus development efforts, but let's not pretend that complexity of execution should be a factor on what should and should not be developed.

I think you missed the real-time aspect of what I described . . . :(

Specifically, the "window of opportunity" refers to the time during which everything must occur to have accurately synchronized and rendered real-time audio in several scenarios, where one scenario occurs (a) when you are working on a composition and press the "Play" button to hear how it sounds; where another scenario occurs (b) when you are recording the NOTION 4 generated audio as soundbites in a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application via ReWire 2 when everything is running in 64-bit mode, although perhaps with some of the 32-bit only VSTi virtual instruments being handled by Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (Vienna Symphony Library) as a "bridge"; and the third scenario occurs (b) when NOTION 4 is used in a live performance to augment a real musical group or ensemble . . .

It is not "complexity of execution", although the complexity of the code certainly is a factor . . .

Instead, it is simply a matter of being to do all the computing in the allowed time frame or "window of opportunity", and there is a finite "window of opportunity" for doing all the required computing . . .

If the required computing is done withing the "window of opportunity", then the real-time playback is accurate and synchronized, but otherwise it has skips, jumps, lost notes, incorrect pitch, faulty tone, and so forth and so on . . .

To be as clear as possible, I am not concerned about the time it takes to export audio as a WAVE file, which is an entirely different matter, primarily because doing it "Offline" does not have a strong real-time restriction with respect to how long it takes to render the audio . . .

If it takes 15 minutes to render the audio for a 3 minute song when you do an "Export Audio . . . " at a "Bit-depth" of "32-bits" with the "Bounce" set to "Offline", then this is fine with me, and I use the time to make a fresh pot of coffee and to take a break . . .

When I render a Digital Performer project in Sound Designer II Stereo format at 16-bits, it might take 10 to 15 minutes for the "Bounce to Disk" if there are a lot of effects plug-ins doing elaborate signal processing, which is fine with me, and once the "Bounce to Disk" is completed, exporting the song in AIFF format takes just a few seconds . . .

But those are offline rendering activities, and while they are important, they are very different from what needs to be done to generate the audio in real-time on the fly in an accurate and timely way where everything is synchronized and so forth . . .

And while I have no idea exactly how the Notion Music software engineers conceptualize everything that NOTION 4 does when it is doing playback in "real-time on the fly" mode, the conceptualization certainly can be mapped directly to "swimming lanes", and it is a matter of "traffic management" where certain things must happen within finite "windows of opportunity" (or "time slices", if you prefer) for the generated audio to be accurate, synchronized, smooth, flowing, and so forth and so on . . .

Mac OS X and Windows are transaction based operating systems, and they do everything based on transaction processing rules, where a well-behaved "transaction" does a grand total of three things:

(1) starts

(2) does something simple

(3) ends

Every user interaction is a transaction, and most user actions actually are an elaborate series of transactions, and these transactions are queued for processing, where the processing rules include being able simply to ignore or to discard some of the transactions when doing so makes sense . . .

Everything an application does also is an elaborate set of transactions, where application work is queued and processed according to certain rules, some of which can be a bit confounding until you understand how transaction processing systems work . . .

One way to get a sense of the complexity of a transaction processing system is to imagine yourself hovering in a helicopter over a Walmart Supercenter which conveniently has a transparent glass roof . . .

Before you hopped in the helicopter, of course, you memorized all the items on every shelf, rack, and display in the Walmart Supercenter, and you know the names and duties of all the Walmart Associates, as well as how many check-out stations there are; how many entrances and exits there are; how many shopping carts and baskets; and so forth and so on, which includes having detailed information on the major roads used for ingress and egress to the parking lot and loading docks; how many parking spaces are in parking lot; the arrival, loading, and unloading times for the various big rig trucks that deliver all the fabulous Walmart merchandise; and so on and so forth . . .

There you are in hovering in your helicopter watching everything happen in real-time on the fly, which includes observing every customer in detail, and so forth and so on . . .

What you realize, sooner or later, is that you are watching an highly complex and vastly surreal symphonic orchestra performing an equally complex and vastly surreal tune, which is one way to visualize a transaction based operating system and a set of applications doing elaborate work in real-time on the fly . . .

And while it might be a huge surprise for many folks, there actually are people who not only can do this type of visualization but also are very skilled in tuning the overall system so that it routinely achieves maximum throughput in an optimal way, where the general goals are (a) to sell everything in the store as rapidly as possible at a profit while (b) simultaneously restocking the shelves, with these two goals being accomplished in an orderly manner that does not cause vehicle or shopping cart traffic jams in the parking lot, ingress, and egress roads, aisles, or check-out lanes, distribution chain disruptions, and so forth and so on, where one of the best ways to get a sense of the importance of keeping everything within the finite "window of opportunity" is to observe what happens when the check-out stand Associate encounters a problem and has to turn-ON the blinking light to summon an Assistant Manager, at which time everything comes to an abrupt halt at that check-out stand, and the queues for the other check-out stands begin to fill and overflow, which in turn blocks the main aisles at the front of the store, and if the problem is not resolved quickly, then everything becomes worse at an often exponential or geometric rate and the general mood changes from happy shoppers to frustrated shoppers, which is not good for business . . .

[NOTE: One of the ways the various check-out stand queues are managed is by using the "fast lanes", which are provided for customers who have 20 or fewer items, which is similar in many respects to the way the "drive through" lane(s) at fast food restaurants are managed, where for example if an order takes longer than expected due to special cooking requirements or perhaps you ordered 75 double cheeseburgers, then the folks at McDonald's instruct you to move to holding location where they will hand deliver your order when it is ready, which keeps everything flowing smoothly, as is the way triage is done at the ER of a hospital, and so forth and so on . . . ]

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby pcartwright » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:56 am

Surfwhammy wrote:The first three items in your list are focused exclusively on engraving and advanced printing, and this can be done in Sibelius 7 (Avid) or Finale 2012C (MakeMusic Inc.), which is the primary focus of those applications, hence I view it mostly as a matter of some folks trying to be a bit too frugal with their digital music production software budgets, and for reference there are student editions available with corresponding student pricing and discounts . . .

Bull$#!@.

Cross staff beaming may be an engraving issue, but it is not advanced in the musical sense. It may be advanced in software development, but this as I pointed out earlier should be irrelevant as far as the end user is concerned.

Cross staff beaming is fundamental as I mentioned earlier. It is more fundamental than TAB notation and equally fundamental as alto and tenor clef because it is necessary for certain instruments. Notion has TAB, alto, and tenor clefs, so it stands to reason that cross staff beaming would also be in the scope of Notion.

Notion markets itself to composers and schools. I would not have been able to use Notion 3 or 4 for my coursework should they have been available when I was in college because of this issue.

As far as being too frugal to not buy Finale or Sibelius to complement Notion:
this is, by far, one of your most ridiculous statements on this forum. You may consider it "too frugal," but I call it being reasonable and responsible. I do not qualify for any student discount anymore, and my money, on the whole, is better spent on my family and home than on my hobby. Sure, I'll spring $50 to upgrade to Notion, and I'll save money for new sound libraries when I can. However, needing extra software and extra workflow steps for a very basic notation function is a problem and warrants some of the noise on the forum. Furthermore, good software should consolidate as many of the needed features where possible. Notion certainly takes a lot of the hassle out of composing via notation, but cross staff beaming should be available as it is a fundamental music notation tool.

Now then, I recognize that Notion is a small company, and they have made some very nice improvements with Notion 4. All this forum noise it pretty typical for any product, but I think it is constructive so Notion knows where development attention should go. In short, I don't want to come across as complaining. Again, Notion takes a lot of the hassle out of notation based recording, but there are, and will always be areas for improvement.
pcartwright

Postby reztes » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:47 pm

Surfwhammy, I think you don't understand the traditional way of writing music... And Notion is focused for traditional composers too. In my point of view, Notion needs a cross staff feature for being fully functional.
I have bought Notion 4 recently and I'm very happy with it. That's why I want Notion to improve :-D
reztes

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:14 am

In some respects, I tend to be a bit naive at times, since I nearly always give people the gracious benefit of the doubt and presume that everyone is being honest and sincere all the time, although over the years I have learned that this is not the case in many instances, which after doing a bit of researching might be the case in this particular instance . . .

Specifically, when I read several posts in this FORUM regarding what appeared to me to be the "vast importance" of cross staff notation for piano I presumed without question that this was reliable information, hence I should accept it graciously at face value, which is what I did even though prior to encountering the term "cross staff" in this FORUM I never heard of it, and perhaps more importantly I played piano as a child and had ready access to music notation like the "Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics" series for piano, although I could not play any of the advanced pieces, but I saw them and I tend to have an eidetic memory (aural and visual) . . .

And when various folks expressed their self-proclaimed embarrassment and humility when having to share with esteemed colleagues and publishers compositions which did not feature cross staff piano notation, I was nearly overwhelmed with empathy and sadness, hence the motivation to do what I could to correct this obvious crime against the humanity of composers perpetrated by Notion Music in not providing cross staff notation for piano, all of which was spanky until I started pondering the idea of sending a composition to a publisher--which makes no sense to me at all--and then soon thereafter continued by devoting a bit of attention to doing web searches on famous composers over the past three or four centuries and their available sheet music for piano, where one of the more revealing searches was done via Google using the search phrase "Mozart sheet music piano", which produced a long list of images of sheet music of Mozart pieces for piano, where after studying the various images in detail I found a grand total of one cross staff note, which actually could have been placed on the treble staff just as easily and certainly less visually confusing . . .

But I did not limit the searches to Mozart, since I included Brahms, Listz, Beethoven, George Gershwin, Rachmaninoff, and so forth and so on toward the goal of covering most of the famous composers beginning circa the 17th century and continuing into the 20th century and beyond to the early-21st century, and in every instance the results were the same, where there was no cross staff notated piano sheet music . . .

Additionally, if you do a Google search on "cross staff" what you find is a combination of a link to this topic; some tips on devising ways to do unusual cross staff notation in Sibelius and Finale; and a virtual festival of songs about crosses, most of which are single note and on the treble staff only . . .

THOUGHTS

I apologize for being so naive, but the fact of the matter is that cross staff notation is one of the most frivolous ideas devised by vastly confused composers and music theorists since the dawn of time, and contrary to what some folks might suggest, NOTION without deep and rich cross staff notion functionality for piano will not cause your head to explode and your underpants to burst into flames . . .

It is goofy, and nobody does it . . .

Pianists are bright folks, and they learned how to play piano using among other things "Schirmer's Library of Musical Classics" series sheet music for piano, and from what I have been able to determine none of it uses cross staff notation, although there certainly are times when the otherwise bass and treble staves temporarily become dual treble staves, which occurs for example when the notes played by the left and right hand fingers are in the higher octaves, as contrasted to the left hand fingers being focused on deep bass, baritone, and tenor registers and the right hand fingers being focused on alto, soprano, and ultrasoprano registers, and NOTION supports this . . .

God bless Yoko Ono and the Avant-Garde performance art concept of appearing in public in a canvas sack, but a little bit of that goes a long way, and it is just weird, although it is cool as an esoteric type of artistic thing for about a minute or two, but so what . . .

So what!

SUMMARY

If someone's ability to be a composer is highly dependent upon NOTION providing cross staff notation functionality for piano, then my advice is to consider visiting another booth on Career Day, where focusing on saxophone or kazoo might be a better option, because there are more important things than cross staff notation for piano, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby pcartwright » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 am

Surfwhammy wrote:If someone's ability to be a composer is highly dependent upon NOTION providing cross staff notation functionality for piano, then my advice is to consider visiting another booth on Career Day, where focusing on saxophone or kazoo might be a better option, because there are more important things than cross staff notation for piano, really . . .

Again, you miss the point.

Surfwhammy wrote:I apologize for being so naive, but the fact of the matter is that cross staff notation is one of the most frivolous ideas devised by vastly confused composers and music theorists since the dawn of time, and contrary to what some folks might suggest, NOTION without deep and rich cross staff notion functionality for piano will not cause your head to explode and your underpants to burst into flames . . .

I'm glad you admit your naivety. Tell me, as a player, which of these would you rather read?
HarpCrossStaffGlis.jpg
HarpCrossStaffGlis.jpg (19.34 KiB) Viewed 10211 times

HarpWithoutCrossStaffGlis.jpg
HarpWithoutCrossStaffGlis.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 10211 times

Or tell me, how would the following be read without cross staff notation?
CrossStaff.jpg
CrossStaff.jpg (23.98 KiB) Viewed 10211 times

You could do it, but it will be a pain for composer or performer to read without cross staff notation.

Cross staff beaming is not designed to be frivolous. It is used to make notation easier and simpler to read.

I have to admit, this is a relatively basic notation feature. The fact that you fail to grasp its usefulness and need is very telling.
pcartwright

Postby Zblogny » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:42 am

+1 !
I am certainly not the only one thinking that the lack of cross-staff notation might be the most serious shortcoming of Notion.
I look forward to the update that will fix it.
Zblogny

Postby DaddyO » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 pm

Let's see. Consider adding "piano concerto" to the search parameters. You'll find a cross-staffing is prominent. I just now read this thread, and after the suggestion that cross-staffing is virtually non-existent in classical piano literature by major composers I thought immediately of Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto, where after the opening chords the soloist is immediately presented with PAGES of cross-staffing arpeggios. And I don't think this is unique at all in the literature, depending upon which segment of the literature you are talking about. So I decided to check Grieg's concerto. Sure enough, cross-staffing arpeggios greet the pianist immediately. Then I checked Tschaikovsy # 1, at which point the pattern was firmly established, in this case cross-staffed chords.

Am I missing something? Do I not understand cross-staffing correctly? I have provided graphics of each example below.

Rachmaninoff

Grieg, check measure 3, the 5th beam set

Tschaikovsky

Postby mrarnesen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:35 pm

I feel the need to really support you on that cross staff notation is highly needed in Notion. You almost can´t write piano music in Notion (and piano music is probably one of the most popular genres for composers to write for).

For me, it´s frustrating not being able to write cross grade glissandos for the harp. I´m supposed to send some material to a publisher. But I can´t do it. I will never let my music be published with such an amateur look. Neither will the publisher...

Same with the time signatures. I can´t give any sheets to the musicians like this. So at the moment Notion is useless for me.

It would be nice if someone from Notion can comment on this, and let us know if cross staff notation will be possible with the next update.
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION