Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Some Questions

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Some Questions

Postby timkiel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi,

Been reading with interest about Notion 3 and I have some simple questions that I've not been able to find the answer to.

1. Can you easily insert notes into the middle of a bar of music and everything shifts to the right - i.e. you can do this in Finale but you can't in Sibelius.

2. Does Notion work with the full version of VSL, i.e. not SE or SE+?

3. Does Notion work with Symphobia

4. Can I programme my own articulation maps so (for example) a pizzicato on the score will send a controller, midi note or channel change to my VSTi (say Kontakt3.5 or VEPRO) and select the corresponding sample - a bit like expression maps in Cubase or Custom Soundsets in Sibelius

Many thanks for your help - hope there is a demo version soon so I can try it out

Kind Regards

Tim
timkiel

Re: Some Questions

Postby astinov » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi timkiel,

Let me help answer those:

1. Can you easily insert notes into the middle of a bar of music and everything shifts to the right - i.e. you can do this in Finale but you can't in Sibelius

Yes, NOTION3 shifts existing music as you add in a measure. If you happen to add more notes than your measure can hold, the notes turn red, but stay in the measure.

Does Notion work with the full version of VSL, i.e. not SE or SE+?

NOTION3 works with all Vienna products as a simlpe VST, but we provide instrument presets directly from score setup for VSL SE (Plus) standard and extended. Support for the Cube is planned.

Does Notion work with Symphobia

As far as using Symphobia as a VST yes, there are currently no presets for Symphobia. If you are confused about what is the difference please check out the screencast tutorials for VSTi Presets and Custom VST's under Support - Tutorials of the main NOTION Music website

Can I programme my own articulation maps so (for example) a pizzicato on the score will send a controller, midi note or channel change to my VSTi (say Kontakt3.5 or VEPRO) and select the corresponding sample - a bit like expression maps in Cubase or Custom Soundsets in Sibelius

Yes you can, and it is currently being documented. It is very powerful and we will be providing tutorials on this site for users who want to program their own custom playback rules.

Hope this helps

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby timkiel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks Lubo for the quick response

With regards to programming is it a seperate tool (a la SoundSetEditor for Sibelius) or is it done within the main Notion programme?

Also on the question about inserting notes into measures (just so I'm clear in my own mind), can you insert an entire new measure in the middle of an existing set of measures and these will shift right accordingly? i.e. I really don't want to have to cut everything to the right of my insert, insert a new measure and then paste everything back in again - which is a real drag in Sibelius.

TIA
timkiel

Postby Novatlan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:56 pm

Sorry for being off-topic, but you can add a measure in Sibelius anywhere and the other measures shift automatically.
So you can in Notion - this is an absolutely basic feature.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:00 pm

I keep finding myself with extra space at the right of the measure. Any way to fix this?
Attachments
Space.JPG
Space.JPG (50.07 KiB) Viewed 18022 times
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby astinov » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:50 pm

wcreed51,

This means that you have an incomplete(not empty, just incomplete) measure in your score. Looking at the example, you still have 2 beats of empty space (no rests, no notes) in the viola section.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:25 pm

I see. Thanks. I'm just used to Finale, so didn't expect that behavior...

Bill
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:04 pm

OK, here's another question:

On whatever the bottom staff is, when doing entry from the palette, you can only enter notes down to the first leger line bellow the staff before it greys out (in continuous view), and one note bellow the first leger in page view. The notes can be moved down once entered. Happens with all clefs.
Attachments
Legers.JPG
Legers.JPG (8.66 KiB) Viewed 17952 times
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby Lurker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:19 am

wcreed51 wrote:. . . enter notes down to the first leger line bellow the staff

Many things seem cut off just below the bottom staff. For instance, load the cursor with a dynamic and you see pp (or whatever) wander around the screen. But a fraction below the bottom staff it disappears and can't be accurately placed or inserted.
Lurker

Postby Novatlan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:51 am

I think this is actually a feature intended to avoid inserting things at wrong places.
I agree however that there should be an exception to this when writing notes; writing notes on more than one leger line would be great.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Next

Return to NOTION