Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Few problems with VSTs

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Few problems with VSTs

Postby rlo9 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:39 pm

Hello, I wonder if anyone else is having the problems I am having with Garritan GPO and other VSTis . First, I can't change an instrument after I have assigned it to a staff. For instance, I created a staff with GPO's Violin and written several measures. I meant to use the Violin section, so I went into Score setup and changed that staff to Violins I, but the sound would never change. Anyone else have this problem ?
Second is that I can't get a Trill to work with anything except Notion sounds. Does the library have to have a sampled trill for this to work ? Can't Notion make any pitched instrument trill ?
And third is that my trumpets from GPO always sound legato unless I put other articulations in. I can't get a normal tongued sound out of them. They sound good, but I don't always want either legato or stacatto. Isn't there an in between ?

I like the program very much, but I sure would like to figure out a way around these issues. Maybe its just user error problems ?

Thanks

rlo
rlo9

Re: Few problems with VSTs

Postby astinov » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:47 pm

Hello rlo9,

Let me try to help you with some of these:

First, I can't change an instrument after I have assigned it to a staff.

Use Shift-I and then make sure you click a new instrument. Select the instrument you want then this will arm it in your cursor. Place it anywhere in the score and this should do it. You can further click on the instrument change after it has been inserted and hide it if you dont want to see it there.

Second is that I can't get a Trill to work with anything except Notion sounds

NOTION does not alternate midi pitches to artificially create trills, it triggers an actual trill sample. Same is true for the Libraries - that means that if the library doesn't have trills for that particular instrument, you are not going to get trills. GPO has "playable" trills on some instruments (solo strings for example), recorded trills on others (section strings) and no trills on others. Those instruments that have no recorded trill samples will not playback any trills, however the section strings should playback fine (I just tried it on my Mac here). BTW, make sure you update to the latest version of NOTION3.

I can't get a normal tongued sound out of them. They sound good, but I don't always want either legato or stacatto. Isn't there an in between ?

Try using the dash articulation. This will add some separation between the notes.

Hope that helps

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Return to NOTION