Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion's MIDI import seems to be really poor

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion's MIDI import seems to be really poor

Postby pianotone » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:51 am

Yes the realtime MIDI recording is just not accurate enough for current use. You cannot use it as you would a sequencer. Moreover it doesn't even present you with a count-in which is bizarre. You have to allow a bar or two before starting recording. Even very simple tunes are not recorded accurately and in addition the editing possibilities within the sequencer staff are very limited compared to a sequencer. To make matters worse the inaccurate performance you have already achieved recording using a sequencer staff is made even more inaccurate when you convert it to notation in Notion 3. By way of comparison I recorded in realtime using Sibelius and although the notation was not as clean as I would have liked at least it played back accurately what I had played in along with timing subtleties.

Notion 3 must address this issue with urgency if it is really to make a realistic claim to be a bridge between a DAW and a notation program.
Last edited by pianotone on Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
pianotone

Postby astinov » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:43 am

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to comment here, as I've said before this is top priority for our development team. Currently we are optimizing this feature and, again, I cannot give you an ETA as much as I would like to do so, but hopefully it is going to be sooner than you might think.

However, there is a situation in which you may find yourselfs that will damage the usability of this feature. Those of you who are windows users - please make sure you use the ASIO drivers for your soundcard and not the default windows drivers for a built in soundcard for example. The difference in latency we have been noticing here is quite big.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby pianotone » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:11 am

That's good to hear. I was of course using ASIO which I do with all my music software. It is only Notion 3 that is causing me the problems with RealTime MIDI recording.
pianotone

Postby Earl Macey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:17 pm

I have the same problems on a Mac. Back to Garage Band until this gets fixed.. :-(
Earl Macey

Postby Novatlan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:29 am

Mac, 10.6.1.
MIDI realtime input works well enough, but I only tried it for a short time as I like step time input better.
But MIDI import is very poor here, too.
I suggest we all wait for the next Version of Notion to see what the programmers managed to improve and save complaining for later :)
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby pianotone » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:14 am

Well you really could not have tried Notion 3's midi real time recording in any meaningful way because it is certainly not 'working well enough'. In fact it is unusable in its current state. In a sequencer, or even a notation program like Sibelius, when you play in real time you should get a totally accurate playback of what you played in. In fact if you want to play something like a piano part with a jazzy groove and you are a good player then it is the best way to input the music for playback. In fact if you are a good keyboard performer it is a good way to input many other instrument parts too as subtle timing feel and dynamic changes are also played in real time. Notion doesn't even give a count-in at the moment when recording this way which is pretty unbelievable. It also wrongly shows a compound rhythm count in quavers when the pusle in something like 12/8 or 6/8 should be dotted crotchets. Nobody would count-in a band playing 12/8 tune by counting 12 extremely rapid quavers! For a program which prides itself on playback and bridging between a DAW and notation this unsatisfactory MIDI recording needs to be fixed double-quick. The developers are aware of the problem and hopefully will fix it soon. What you cannot say at the moment is that 'real time recording works well enough'. It just ain't true.
pianotone

Postby Novatlan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:56 am

Everything I write here is MY personal opinion, which I am perfectly entitled to have.
Realtime input worked well enough when I tried it, but again, I only tried it very quickly (which I wrote).
I know it is far from perfect and outright substandard compared even to Sibelius (which I know pretty well).
Nevertheless, for ME MIDI import is the far more important feature. And that one is seriously broken (which I reported to Notion and was assured it would be fixed).

But again: Lubo already confirmed that it IS a bug and that the devs are working on it, so all complaining right _now_ either about midi input or midi import is absolutely pointless. We should wait and see. And complain _then_. Notion cannot do more than admitting bugs and working on them. And they are doing exactly that.
So for ME, I can say that midi input works well enough compared to more serious issues. Your mileage does vary and that is perfectly ok.

The same applies to count-in and so on. Many, many, many, many people reported this and Notion is most certainly working on it. Patience is the key :)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
Novatlan

Postby pianotone » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:29 pm

It's all very well asking for patience but these matters are so basic that it seems to me that the software was released too early. Such elementary and basic features like accurate midi timing, real time input, midifile import should all have been there at release date.

Maybe the MIDI real time input is satisfactory for you but I prefer and require accurate rendition of what I play in which is what I receive from other programs. I have the feeling that the software was not tested rigorously enough before release.
pianotone

Postby Novatlan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:34 pm

It may very well be that the application was released too early, this happens pretty often in software development.
But even if: Notion say they are working on it. Is makes no difference whether you have to wait until, say, December because they would have delayed the realease or because the patch fixing these bugs will only come out then.
That's what I mean.

We all perfectly well know that Notion has bugs. This particular one is a serious one for you. Less for me. That's what I meant. Other bugs, which are serious for me, probably are not for you.

Lubo has on several occasions stated that "your" bug is top priority. They are working on it. Pressing on the matter only makes people angry and makes me cluttering the forum while defending the developers, which I not even know personally :)

As long as they _do_ fix the bugs, a little delay is fine with me. The times where perfectly working software came to the market are long gone. I am no programmer. I do not know wether or not this would be avoidable through more testing. If you do (know, not guess!), great.
In dubio pro reo. As long as I have no proof of the contrary, I assume that the Notion devs are working as hard as they can to make the software perfect.

And believe me: If they charge for an upgrade before fixing these bugs, even I will complain. And boy, will I complain!!!
Novatlan

Postby Cerb » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:38 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am really looking forward to the Midi import functions improvement!! :mrgreen:

While waiting for an update, I'd like to underline what I believe is a major lack in the present release, unless I've missed something in the user guide : the ability to dispatch notations between the upper and lower staves of a grand staff, after a midi import and with the choice of the split point. This is IMO a must-have for any notation software. :D

I hope this could be implemented in the future. I believe it wouldn't be a big issue, since the function is already available with live midi recording into a grand staff (however without the choice of the split point)?
Cerb

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION