Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

EWQL and Notion 4 FAQ

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: EWQL and NOTION3 FAQ

Postby astinov » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Allan,

Let me know if your issue was resolved. I think Dave summed it up nicely.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby tmhuud » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:46 am

dgriffee wrote:just a couple obvious checks: 32bit-Play dll is correctly set in Notion3 VSTi config? sample libs are on local machine?

I am on a MAc Pro 2.66 Quad dual core xeon machine.

dgriffee wrote:...so when the "not found" dialog comes up and you point it to the main installation folder for your EWQL lib (Do NOT drill all the way down to the individual instrument's folder, you want to point to only the main top level EWQL lib folder)

Yes I point it to the main folder. Its not on the machine itself its on a separate eSata drive (the PLAY library that is)

dgriffee wrote:...and then try if you can close the dialog box via any mouseclick, even a nonintuitive button?

It looks like it starts to load a PLAY sample then freezes - then quits. Oh its PLAY gold (not that it should matter I would guess)

Thanks for the warm welcome DG! Glad to be here.

-Allan Leung
Assistant to Composer Terry Michael Huud
http://www.Music4TheMovies.com
http://www.MySpace.com/terryhuud
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0404698/
tmhuud

Postby astinov » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:34 am

Hey Allan,

This is indeed strange, I have not run into this problem before. I'm sure you are using the latest version of PLAY, right? Maybe try reinstalling the PLAY update?

Also, does this happen on all instruments you are trying to load from score setup? Full patches and Lite patches.

Try this, instead of using the presets, go to VST Instruments, enter a PLAY instance and then load the MasterKS patch for, say Trumpet, into PLAY. Then save the score and close it. When you open it up, see if it loads correctly. If it does, then try to load the Trumpet Lite preset into the score and see if it works.

Like I said, I haven't run into this before and I have 3 different Mac's here and 2 of them use external drives. However, I'd still give it a try it with the samples on internal drive.

Hope this helps

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby tmhuud » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi,

Thanks you for your help. I am going to try what you have said later this evening but....

I just saw your post over at VSL and this makes me really excited! If I could have a choice I would rather use Notion with VSL since it has more articulations at it disposal and sounds great! I have the special edition PLUS on this computer now so I'm going to try it out with the new templates you just created.

I'm not giving up on the EWQLSO though and will try to get it to work as well but have never been able to get it to work with Sibelius either.

Thank you for your time and support.

Cheers,

Allan Leung
Assistant to Composer
Terry Michael Huud
www.Music4TheMovies.com
www.MySpace.com/terryhuud (fansite)
www.imdb.com/name/nm0404698/
tmhuud

Postby dgriffee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:15 am

an old thread at the link below describes steps to _elliminate_ the "missing library" dialog, and I have a hunch that it might just elliminate your problem as well, Allan. The trick is that the (verrry simple) procedure in the thread below begins by working directly upon the preset file itself (NOT by trying to load into a new blank score). You would only need to do it one time (that is if the trick works for you) and then the "corrected" preset would stay fixed from then onwards.

See the litttle step by step at link below (it's way simple, just a minute or so) and maybe this might get things working as you would like.
http://forum.notionmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170
:geek: be sure to see the details there, it may seem like a minor difference but this way worked nice and slick for me!
...just a hunch, hope it saves you some time.
-DG
dgriffee

Postby tmhuud » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:19 am

Thanks DG- I will give that a try. :)

--Allan Leung
Assistant to Composer Terry Michael Huud
www.Music4TheMovies.com
www.MySpace.com/terryhuud
www.imdb.com/name/nm0404698/
tmhuud

Postby sghoughton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:13 am

Hi - just a quick question. If i wanted to run different EWQL sections on different PCs using Notion, whats the best approach?

steve
sghoughton

Postby dgriffee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:07 am

sghoughton wrote:Hi - just a quick question. If i wanted to run different EWQL sections on different PCs using Notion, whats the best approach?

steve

This is probably not the answer you were looking for, but I started from same question a few months ago and came to the following conclusion...

put your EWQL on SSD in master box and then consider adding VSL-SE & VE-Pro to your network (big grin)

It is possible to do EWQL networkwise, but in my opinion the more I researched it looked like it would be a major hassle that way and not really necessary at this point in the technology curve. Having already invested in a bunch of EWQL stuff I decided best most cost effective way forward was to build one monster machine that runs all my EWQL libs from SSD. I now run the whole EWQL SymphOrch (plat) and a bunch of other EWQL libs (pianos choir sd2 etc) all from four OCZ Agility SSD units in a single pc, works great no glitches.

I was persueded by what I saw in many threads (some on the EWQL board and others elsewhere) that getting VSL-SE & VE-Pro for less than $1ooo would more easily take best advantage of my networked machines with minimum technohassle. So I bought the VSL stuff to use on my other networked slave boxes, in conjunction with EWQL/SSD on my master box. The two different libs actually work together in a complimentary fashion that sounds much better than I had hoped for.
dgriffee

Postby sghoughton » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 am

Well, although it's a goodie it adds to my lib collection which i'm trying to avoid :) I already have platinum, miroslav, GPO 4 and KH Diamond. Looking forward to some Diamond rules hopefully at some point but really want platinum to be the one for right now at least. I have two boxes which should be enough for everything if i can just figure out how to make better use of memory. I see when you add a template it uses reasonable memory (mine clocks in at around 6-7 gigs which is ok on my 8 gig box but i'm sure wont be when everything is said and done. When i add in individual instruments it seems to be starting up an instance of Play for each one - and each sits at around 950MB. That eats up 8gigs pretty quickly.

Just trying to find a better way really. I started another thread on proposing a solution for that but not sure how to go about it or if its even possible (I'm very much a Notion newb).

thanks

steve
sghoughton

Postby JaxonBridge » Sun May 02, 2010 10:51 pm

astinov wrote:NOTION3 and EWQL Users FAQ
4. What about the other presets?
The Platinum presets are done using separate full patches that aim to give you the full range of techniques per instrument. For example they will include articulations and techniques that may be missing from the MasterKS patches. They also have several legato and a DXF patch. Because of their size, they are a good choice if you want to add an EWQL instrument to an existing orchestral project or create a section of EWQL instruments.

I'm a little confused, as I am trying the Notion 3 demo and the preset for the Platinum orchestra are also using keyswitches, not full patches that I can see. Every PLAY instance shows "KS" patches. The lite version of course also shows this. I gather from the above that KS patches are not supposed be in the Platinum presents. Is this right?
JaxonBridge

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION