Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

EWQL and Notion 4 FAQ

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

EWQL and Notion 4 FAQ

Postby astinov » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 pm

NOTION3 and EWQL Users FAQ

Hello everyone, we hope the information below will be useful to you. Please do not forget to always update to the latest version of NOTION3, since we are constantly improving the software and adding new features.

1. Which EWQL library do you provide presets for?
We provide presets for EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum (Plus) PLAY edition. Although they were created for Platinum, they seem to work just fine for Gold too.

2. Do you plan on providing presets for EWQL Gold?
Actually, the current presets also work with Gold as confirmed by our users :)

3. What are the Lite presets?
The presets from the Lite groups are instrument presets that use the MasterKS patches from EWQL Platinum. They provide you with a good amount of articulations for each instrument while still keeping the RAM requirements low. They are a good solution if you want to build an orchestra template made entirely of EWQL Platinum.

4. What about the other presets?
The Platinum presets are done using separate full patches that aim to give you the full range of techniques per instrument. For example they will include articulations and techniques that may be missing from the MasterKS patches. They also have several legato and a DXF patch. Because of their size, they are a good choice if you want to add an EWQL instrument to an existing orchestral project or create a section of EWQL instruments.

5. Can I load Play x64 into NOTION3?
As any other 32bit host, NOTION will not load a 64bit VST plugin. However, a lot of people have found that using JBridge with NOTION3 and EWQL works well when you want to use your x64 PLAY version.

6. I am getting a dialog that says PLAY can’t find my samples?
Just click OK and locate the main installation folder for your EWQL library (the one containing BOTH the Instruments and the Samples folders). The instrument will then load fine. Be patient, some instruments take a while to load.

7. Can I customize the plug-in presets once they are added to the score?
Yes, simply click on the instrument’s staff, then bring in the VST interface by Ctrl+I or Cmd+I shortcut. This will launch PLAY’s interface for that instrument. You can also launch the UI from the mixer by clicking on the instrument name just above the outputs assignment on the bottom of the channel.

8. I don’t see any presets in score setup?
You need to enable PLAY using the VST manager. Once you open the VST manager, click Browse and locate PLAY’s .dll navigation to its folder
(usually it's C:\Program Files\Common Files\East West\Vstplugins)

9. How do I write for a Full Orchestra with EWQL
Build 250 introduces a EWQL Full Orchestra Template. It's found under File-New From Template
astinov

Re: EWQL and NOTION3 FAQ

Postby francois_harel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:44 pm

Dear Mr. Astinov,

Thank you for this post.
So if I understand, when I use the normal presets (not the light), N3 use a different instance of PLAY for each instruments, right ?
I think that it is a good idea to use DXF instruments which they provide, in my opinion, better transposition of the real instrument.
Do you use 18 Violins instruments for Violins I section ... and more 11 Violins for the Violins II section ?

Francois, Montreal
QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, 4 SATA2 drives on Vista x64.
Finale 2011b, Sonar PE 8.5.2, KP2, K3 and K4, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB
EWQLSO Silver and Plat+ on PLAY 2.0.25
Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
francois_harel

Postby Treppenwitz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Lubo,
Is there a way of specifying to only load the 16 bit samples (using Plat Plus) instead of 24 bit, or will I have to go in and modify and resave each of the templates?
Libraries: EWQLSO Platinum Plus || Voices of Passion || Goliath || StormDrum2 || Garritan JABB
Computer: Vista x64 || RAM: 8GB || HDD: 4 x 500GB Seagate || Sound Card: Emu-1820
Keyboard: Kurzweil MIDIBoard
Software: Sonar 8PE, Audition 3, Notion3, Sibelius 6, NI Komplete 5
Treppenwitz

Postby francois_harel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Dear Treppenwitz,
Yes, it will be a big + to obtain this feature !
Also, is it possible to change between Notion3 sounds and EWQLSP Plat+ in a single click... to make fast comparisons?

I am a Finale user for a couple of years ... but N3 seems to be very attractive !
Francois, Montreal
QX9650 3.0 GHz on Asus Maximus Formula, 8Gbytes, 4 SATA2 drives on Vista x64.
Finale 2011b, Sonar PE 8.5.2, KP2, K3 and K4, fullGPO, JABB, CoMB
EWQLSO Silver and Plat+ on PLAY 2.0.25
Edirol UA-1000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
francois_harel

Postby mkiz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:42 am

I really appreciate the Lite EWQL instruments, but having to load each instrument in a separate PLAY instance still chews up way too much RAM. I can easily load 10+ master keyswitch instruments through Sonar using a single PLAY instance. But my machine (8GB of RAM on Vista 64-bit Ultimate running JBridge to load 64-bit EWQLSO VSTs) chokes on 5 or 6 "Lite" instruments through Notion. I am wondering how exactly the full orcherstral demo piece was create using Notion and EWQL? I love the control I get with the articulation playback--this is soooo much better and easier than Finale's human playback...but if I can't load enough instruments, then the usefulness is diminished...

I am hoping that new EWQL templates will be created that allow you to pack a single instance of PLAY with more Master Keyswitch instruments. This seems to be the best way to minimize RAM usage...no?

Looking forward to these enhancements!

Thanks for a great product,
mkiz
mkiz

Postby Novatlan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:52 am

It may be different on Windows, but on my MacPro I see minimal RAM differences wether I load only one instance with lots of instruments or lots of instances with one instrument.

EDIT:
Wouldn't it be prudent to change the FAQ regarding EWQLSO Gold? All included presets work fine with Gold, there is no more work involved when using Gold than it is when using Platinum.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby mkiz » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Novatlan--You are right that it should take minimal additional resources to open additional instances of PLAY. When I read your comment, I went back and did a couple of tests. I went into Sonar 8.5 and tried launching multiple PLAY instances, and found that each additional instance only bumped the RAM up minimally. However, when I launched additional instances in Notion using JBridge to allow me to use the 64-bit VST, each PLAY instance chewed up over 500MB of RAM. When I used the 32-bit PLAY VST, the RAM hit was comparatively noty noticeable. So, I loaded up 10 keyswitched LITE instruments and reached 2.79 GB RAM, where I topped out all 8 GB with about 6 instruments with JBridge..So, I can load more instruments with the 32-bit plugin...Not what I expected!
mkiz

Postby Novatlan » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 am

"Fascinating", as our pointy-eared friend would say.
I think that _could_ point (pun intended) to a bug in the Play Engine. The only difference in the 64 bit version should be that it can address lots of Ram, but it should no use so much right from the start.
As far as I know, East West have an update currently in private beta, maybe that will fix the bug(s).
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby tmhuud » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:32 am

Hi - i'm trying to get N3 to load ANY EWQLSO PLAY Gold sounds. When I click on the location of the PLAY library it tries to load but the spinning beachball of MAc death occurs. Any ideas what causes that? :geek:

Thanks

-Allan Leung
Assistant to Composer Terry Michael Huud
http://www.Music4TheMovies.com
http://www.MySpace.com/terryhuud
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0404698/
tmhuud

Postby dgriffee » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:31 am

It is great to see you over here on the Notion forum Mr. Leung, you are such a highly esteemed EWQL guru!

just a couple obvious checks: 32bit-Play dll is correctly set in Notion3 VSTi config? sample libs are on local machine?

...so when the "not found" dialog comes up and you point it to the main installation folder for your EWQL lib
(Do NOT drill all the way down to the individual instrument's folder, you want to point to only the main top level EWQL lib folder)

...and then try if you can close the dialog box via any mouseclick, even a nonintuitive button?

If you really are stuck, waste no time just get ahold of Notion tech support directly
(I found Brian Meisner 866-398-2994 to be very responsive and he has excellent knowhow to help get your config working.)

Hope this helps!
-DG
dgriffee

Next

Return to NOTION