Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

N4 Mixer Problems

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

N4 Mixer Problems

Postby Aph » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:36 pm

The pan control on the master channel does not seem to work.
Also, I MUCH prefer the orange "glow" when the insert buttons are on to the current N4 white!
Finally, the mixer disappears when I click on the transport buttons in N4. It stays on screen in N3 (I like that better).
Aph

Re: N4 Mixer Problems

Postby dshertz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:24 am

I have complained about the issue with the mixer menu. Since the playback short cuts do not work in edit mode, this really confounds the workflow. I wish the mixer would stay on top and remain unaffected by use of the transport.
Notion 4, VSL SE, LASS, BBB, Symphobia, Ivory, Real Guitar, CineSamples Brass and Winds
Win 7, I7 3770-3.4GHz, Asus P8Z77-V, 16Gb, PreSonus Firebox
dshertz

Postby GeorgePaul » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:00 pm

I like the orange glow better too.
Last edited by GeorgePaul on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GeorgePaul

Postby pcartwright » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm

EDIT, I think I put this in the wrong thread. Disregard.
Last edited by pcartwright on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:15 pm

I'm trying to understand why you'd ever want to pan the master channel.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 pm

wcreed51 wrote:I'm trying to understand why you'd ever want to pan the master channel.

With a true stereo panning control like the pan controls in NOTION 3 and NOTION 4, if you pan the Master stereo output to top-center, then you have a monaural output, where the technique is to move the Left and Right dots to top-center (or "0"), really . . .

Really! :ugeek:

P. S. There are three dots (Left, Center, Right), and they need to be set to "0.0 pan L", "0.0 pan C", and "0.0 pan R", respectively for monaural, except that you only need to set the Left and Right dots, because the Center dot will be in the middle automatically when you set the Left dot to "0.0 pan L" and set the Right dot to "0.0 pan R" . . .

P. P. S. This only works with a true stereo panning control. It does not work with a balance control, since a balance control only adjusts the relative volume level of the left and right channels rather than actually moving the panning location of the channels. And as noted, NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 have true stereo panning controls, not balance controls. This is easier to understand when you know that the Left dot is a monaural panning control for the Left channel, and the Right dot is a monaural panning control for the Right channel . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION