Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Staccato too agresive

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Staccato too agresive

Postby reztes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:24 am

Hello. I really like the Notion 4 sounds but I think that some articulations are not that good. Staccato, by instance, is too loud and too agresive. How can I change it?
reztes

Re: Staccato too agresive

Postby tubatimberinger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 am

Yeah, it's funny. There is a tutorial/master class with Patrick Harrild (Principal Tuba, LSO) going over the audition music for the "YOUTUBE SYMPHONY". The first thing he says is "you would never want to play these notes like this..." then he goes on to perform staccato EXACTLY as Notion has is sample. I use the Mezz-Staccato and others based on what the music should sound like. Sometimes that pecky staccato is handy though.

t
tubatimberinger

Postby reztes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 am

Thanks, I suppose that using the mezzo-staccato articulation will be ok for playback but it isn't the articulation that I really want. I think this is a problem. :-(
reztes

Postby tubatimberinger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:54 am

Ahh, now you are speaking of engraving, not playback. You will notice, Notion no longer brags about its "Professional Notation" features in the new marketing etc. If you are looking for printable parts; odds are Notion will have many deficiencies (Still :oops: ) Notion isn't Notation software, it is a DAW that comes with it's own Library, is compatible with other libraries and HAPPENS to use standard notation as an interface instead of the usual Multi-track recording environment that comes with most libraries. Fin/Sib totally different products for totally different things. That being said, I use Notion every day. I just don't print out music from it for players, I use Sibelius. MusicXML is your friend.

-t
tubatimberinger

Postby reztes » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:31 pm

Well, the Notion description says that it is a "Notation tool". I haven't money enough to buy Sibelius or Finale so I use Notion for general purpose. I think it's a good program even for notation things. Yes, I miss a cross staff feature and things like that but I feel good when using Notion.

By the way, when Notion plays my music, it plays a very bad staccatos. I don't want mezzo staccatos so I don't write them. I think that using mezzo staccatos is a good alternative for now but it is just papering over the cracks and it is a problem even(or mostly) for a DAW.
Thanks.

I can't speak english so good so I hope you understand me anyway.
reztes

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm

reztes wrote:Well, the Notion description says that it is a "Notation tool". I haven't money enough to buy Sibelius or Finale so I use Notion for general purpose. I think it's a good program even for notation things. Yes, I miss a cross staff feature and things like that but I feel good when using Notion.

By the way, when Notion plays my music, it plays a very bad staccatos. I don't want mezzo staccatos so I don't write them. I think that using mezzo staccatos is a good alternative for now but it is just papering over the cracks and it is a problem even(or mostly) for a DAW.
Thanks.

I can't speak english so good so I hope you understand me anyway.

You may want to play with dynamics as well to find a better staccato for your use.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby tubatimberinger » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Also, If you need readable parts, another solution is to make 2 scores; one for printing and one for playback. This is a common technique even for those of us lucky enough to have Fin/Sib especially where the more modern idiom is concerned.

t
tubatimberinger

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:37 pm

There is an update coming that fixes staccatos. It was looking at the old set of rules which was sending a velocity of 110 on staccatos. The problem has been located and eradicated. Sorry for the inconvenience. Coming soon...

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby reztes » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:53 am

Oh, that's really nice :-D.
reztes

Return to NOTION