Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to change location of bundled sounds

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to change location of bundled sounds

Postby mikehc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:35 am

Just installed the Notion 4 bundled sounds and it didn't appear to give me any option as to where to put them - just added them to a subfolder of my existing Notion 4 folder in C:\Program Files. Not helpful - don't really want 7Gb of stuff clogging up the C drive when I have about 200Gb free on a separate, faster D drive.

If I were to move them to a new location, how do I tell Notion to find them in that new location?
mikehc

Re: How to change location of bundled sounds

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:29 am

mikehc wrote:Just installed the Notion 4 bundled sounds and it didn't appear to give me any option as to where to put them - just added them to a subfolder of my existing Notion 4 folder in C:\Program Files. Not helpful - don't really want 7Gb of stuff clogging up the C drive when I have about 200Gb free on a separate, faster D drive.

If I were to move them to a new location, how do I tell Notion to find them in that new location?

The location of the NOTION bundled sounds is specified on the "Audio" tab of NOTION Preferences, which is reached by clicking on the "Preferences . . . " item of the NOTION menu at the top left of the screen, as shown in the following screen capture of the Preference dialog . . .

[NOTE: This screen capture was done when only NOTION 3 was installed on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio, but after I installed NOTION 4, the last two subfolders in the path changed to "Notion 4/Sounds" both for the NOTION 3 Preferences and the NOTION 4 Preferences paths, which is interesting . . . ]

Code: Select all
[NOTE:  This is the full path on the Mac, where "[Macintosh HD]" is the default name of the primary internal hard drive for a Mac as it comes from the factory, but specifically will be the name of the internal or external hard drive onto which the sample sounds have been installed, moved, copied, or whatever, which on the Mac Pro here in the sound isolation studio actually is "Mountain Lion HD", since I cloned the original internal hard drive before upgrading from Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) to Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), and of course the full path will be a bit [u]different[/u] on a Windows computer, although similar . . . ]

[Macintosh HD]Library/Application Support/NOTION Music/Notion 4/Sounds

In the following screen capture on the Mac will notice that there is a pattern to the structure of the various NOTION bundled file folders, where there are NOTION 2 bundled samples, NOTION 3 bundled samples, and NOTION 4 bundled samples, if you have upgraded to NOTION 4 (which is an excellent strategy) . . .

[NOTE: On the Mac, the NOTION 2, 3, and 4 bundled sound sample and associated files are located in the "NOTION Music" subfolder of the "Application Support" subfolder of the "Library" folder . . . ]

NOTION Bundled Sounds ~ Mac ~ with both NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 installed

NOTION 4 is able to use the N2, N3, and N4 bundled sounds, and this is due in part to the pattern used in the default folder organization, so this is something to consider if you decide to move the sampled sounds to a different location, where it makes the most sense to move the "NOTION Music" folder, which contains everything in the correct organizational pattern . . .

And instead of doing a move, you can begin by doing a copy, where after the copy completes, which will take several minutes since there are a lot of files, you change the location in the "Audio" tab of "Preferences" to point to the new location where you put the copied "NOTION Music" folder and its various subfolders and individual files . . .

Do some testing to ensure that the copy is good, and after a while you can delete the original "NOTION Music" folder, but I tend to prefer to leave it alone, since the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro with 20GB of memory has 2TB internal hard drives, which are at most half filled, hence the approximately 24GB of storage space is not significant with respect to being too much or whatever . . .

Also, the various privileges and permissions need to be set correctly for the copy of the "NOTION Music" folder and its subfolders and individual files . . .

The folder, subfolders, and individual file structure will be a bit different on a Windows computer but mostly will be the same or similar, where the sampled sounds for an instrument are located int a "*.prox" file and the overall structure is described or saved as "info.tpk" . . .

And if you want better performance with the 64-it version of NOTION 4, then getting more memory is the best strategy, followed by getting a faster video card, although if you want to spend more money you can get a SSD drive or an hybrid SSD/HD drive . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby mikehc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 am

How come I missed that in the Preferences dialog? - I swear I looked there before posting! Anyway, I just moved the "Bundled" folder to my D: drive, updated the path, and it all works fine! Thanks!
mikehc

Postby Admin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks Surfwhammy. That's exactly right.

Glad you got it working MikeHC!
Admin
Site Admin

Return to NOTION