Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Kontakt 5 + 8dio or Eastwest symphonic choir?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Kontakt 5 + 8dio or Eastwest symphonic choir?

Postby mrarnesen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Do any of you have any experiences with choir vsts and Notion?

I wonder what I should buy: The sampler Kontakt 5 http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kontakt-5/ (which includes 43GB instrument library) and which gives you the possibility to use 8dio's fantastic Requiem http://8dio.com/?btp_product=requiem-pro and Liberis http://8dio.com/?btp_product=liberis and also a lot of other instruments created to work only with Kontakt. Another choir VST which works with Kontakt is Giovani Boychoir or girlchoir http://www.bigfishaudio.com/detail.html?1;16;1:115:::511988;512260::::::G511988;A115;G512260::511785.

Or I could just buy the Eastwest Symphonic Choir http://www.soundsonline.com/Symphonic-Choirs which has a great worldbuilder letting you type in all kinds of words.

I use Logic Pro and Notion, and it seems like both of these options will work with Notion?

Both Logic Pro and Notion includes many good orchestral sounds, so maybe I won't have much use of Kontakt 5's library? It's choir is not at all as good and powerful as 8dio's or Eastwest's choir. Or will buying Kontakt give so many possibilities so that would be better in the longer term?

Just buying Eastwest is cheaper than buying Kontakt + 8dio etc.
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Re: Kontakt 5 + 8dio or Eastwest symphonic choir?

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:20 pm

There are many libraries the use Kontakt, so it's hard to go wrong going in that direction. You should also check out Soundirons Olympus libraries.

The EW choirs are the most flexible, but least Notion friendly at this point, as you need to insert a CC value to set the start point in the lyrics, so would have to create a custom rule set. With Kontakt, you can create a hidden staff to send Keyswitches. Only you can know what you're comfortable with.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby mrarnesen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Perhaps a good solution would be to buy Requiem Light, which make you qualify to a crossgrade deal of Kontakt 5 at approx $160 discount?
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm

mrarnesen wrote:Perhaps a good solution would be to buy Requiem Light, which make you qualify to a crossgrade deal of Kontakt 5 at approx $160 discount?

+1 :)

I like this strategy, because Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments) works nicely with NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 on the Mac with Logic Pro 9 (Apple) . . .

I use Kontakt 5 in NOTION 3 and NOTION 4, which includes the ReWire 1.7 and ReWire 2 scenarios with Logic Pro 9, as well as Digital Performer 7.24 (MOTU) and Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) . . .

However, last year (2011) Native Instruments had a 50-percent discount sale on Kontakt 5 for approximately 4 or 5 days beginning on Thanksgivlng in the US, so you might want to wait a week or so to see whether Native Instruments does this 50-percent discount sale again . . .

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby mrarnesen » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:

However, last year (2011) Native Instruments had a 50-percent discount sale on Kontakt 5 for approximately 4 or 5 days beginning on Thanksgivlng in the US, so you might want to wait a week or so to see whether Native Instruments does this 50-percent discount sale again . . .

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:

I know, it's just SO hard to wait :geek:
mrarnesen

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 am

You should also be aware of the differences in the libraries. Requiem/lite combines Sopranos/Altos and Tenors/Basses. EW and Voxos give true SATB sections.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby mrarnesen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:40 pm

wcreed51 wrote:You should also be aware of the differences in the libraries. Requiem/lite combines Sopranos/Altos and Tenors/Basses. EW and Voxos give true SATB sections.

Could you explain that a little bit further please? Did you mean you can't use Sopranos alone? Etc.
mrarnesen

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:21 pm

That's correct. With Requiem, Requiem Lite, and the Olympian Choirs you get an instrument for women, and one for men, so that those sections are blended.

With EWQLSC and Voxos SATB are all available as separate instruments.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby mrarnesen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:08 pm

wcreed51 wrote:That's correct. With Requiem, Requiem Lite, and the Olympian Choirs you get an instrument for women, and one for men, so that those sections are blended.

With EWQLSC and Voxos SATB are all available as separate instruments.

Thanks for the clarification. But I presume that if the women instrument sounds good in both soprano and alto register, and the men instrument sounds good in both tenor and bass register, this wouldn't be such a bad thing? For SATB music I could just use 4 instruments WW+MM = SATB?
mrarnesen

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am

Yes, that's the idea.

Soundiron is have a 30% off sale, so if you want Requiem Light, this would be a good time to buy.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Next

Return to NOTION