Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Jazz feel in Notion 3

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Jazz feel in Notion 3

Postby Monty Maizels » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:28 am

I sort of had the feeling that entering notes in a Jazz template would result in equal quavers playing back with a dotted feel, as can be specified as a Preference in some other software. But it still plods on squarely.

Do I need to enter all such timing by the time-consuming operation of entering crotchet+quaver triplet and hope that the outcome is close enough, or is there some better and more efficient shortcut I haven't seen yet for achieving this?

Monty

Intel Mac 3.06GHz, OS 10.6.8

Notion 3/Garritan GPO 4/Jazz & Big Band
Monty Maizels

Re: Jazz feel in Notion 3

Postby pcartwright » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:25 am

Look for "Swing Control" in the user guide (10.30). This should get you the jazz feel you are looking for.
pcartwright

Re: Jazz feel in Notion 3

Postby Monty Maizels » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:33 pm

Thank you, pcartwright.

O me of little faith. I should stop asking the question "Does (X) exist?" and replace it with "Where do I find X"?

... which is not always obvious. (To me!)

After three weeks of using Notion, I am still delighted with the improvement in playback audio, particularly strings. It's encouraging me to revisit some old scores, most of which were jazzy rather than classical. Where possible, I am importing .xml into Notion and while initially there are many glitches such as superfluous red blotchy notes and rests which overfill bars and cause a strangely halting progress to playback, I am gradually learning how to deal quickly with that.

I will be back ... not after this message, but after I have done a lot more work, including investigating how to use my other libraries, (I hope, J&BB for a start.) I learned this last night on the Forum—until then I didn't realise I could type more than one line into Preferences/Audio.

"The beginning of a beautiful friendship, Louis"

Thanks again

Monty.
Melbourne, Australia
Monty Maizels

Return to NOTION