Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to write bisbligando rule for VSL in N4?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to write bisbligando rule for VSL in N4?

Postby Rubens » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:03 am

Hi guys, I am trying to work with the reality that our software gives us... Anyone who can teach me step by step to write bisbligando rule for VSL harp?
I must say I never wrote any rule and I am not a skilled computer guy, so please short and detailed steps ok? I am using mac OS X 10.8.2.

Thank you,

Rubens.
Rubens

Re: How to write bisbligando rule for VSL in N4?

Postby notionlive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi Rubens,

There is not a Notion Rule that is available for writing Bisbigliandos. You best bet to accomplish this, and what I have done in the past is to write them out by hand. You can either:
1. Write out the specific notes you want to use by hand.

or

2. Write out note to note glissandos up and down using voices on the staff. Then use "Shift + H" to set the Harp Tuning under the Glissandos. Set the tuning to match the key of the score, or the scale of the Bisbiglianod that you want to use. I find that this works very well to accomplish the effect. You can use the Treble clef to go one direction and the Bass Clef to go the other. It does not look pretty, but it sounds about right.

*Another tip I can give you is to experiment with using Piano Pedal markings (Pedal Up and Pedal Down) by pressing "Shift + 8". Shift + 8 toggles between the Pedal Up and Down markings. If you place them strategically in the score, you can get some nice sustains and cutoffs to control the playback. If you do not want to see them, you can select them, right-click on the score, and hide "Attachments".

I do realize that this is a lot of effort to acheive the desired result, but it can sound really great if you experiment with these markings to acheive the desired result. I have spent weeks on harp parts to get these effects to happen. A rule would be nice, but it too, is a very in depth process that is more useful for advanced users. I have not determined a way for the rules to make this happen.

Regards,

-Josh
notionlive

Postby Rubens » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi Josh,

I have already tried to write them by hand... The thing is that it will sound poorly comparable with the bisbigliando cell VSL harp instrument download do have.
So... Maybe I really want to learn how to be an advanced user! :)

Thank you,

Rubens
Rubens

Postby notionlive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Well then I suggest that you use one of the custom techniques in the technique list (X01-X20) to send a key-switch to the cell that you want to use in a custom matrix that you set up. Now that there are Instrument Based Rules, you can set that up as follows:

<?xml version="2.0" ?>
<rule-set version="2">

<!-- These rules are set for a balanced response to NOTION sounds.-->

<dynamic-map id="harp">
<dynamic dynamic="ppppp" value="1" />
<dynamic dynamic="pppp" value="19" />
<dynamic dynamic="ppp" value="28" />
<dynamic dynamic="pp" value="39" />
<dynamic dynamic="p" value="54" />
<dynamic dynamic="mp" value="63" />
<dynamic dynamic="mf" value="79" />
<dynamic dynamic="f" value="84" />
<dynamic dynamic="ff" value="95" />
<dynamic dynamic="fff" value="103" />
<dynamic dynamic="ffff" value="116" />
<dynamic dynamic="fffff" value="127" />
</dynamic-map>

<group id="harp">

<setup>
<velocity-map id="harp" />
<hairpin-map id="harp" />
<hairpin-cc value="11" />
<!-- <hairpin-anchor value="75" /> -->
</setup>

<!-- Articulations VSL Harp-->

<rule name="main sound">
<set-flag name="main"/>
</rule>

<rule name="bisbigliando">
<if technique="X??"/>
<key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="?" velocity="64" /> (X Axis in Vienna)
<key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="?" velocity="64" /> (Y Axis in Vienna)
</rule>

<!-- Reset to main sound rule. This MUST be the last rule! -->

<rule name="Harp - main sound">
<if flag="main"/>
<key-switch type="note-on-prefix" midi-pitch="?" velocity="64" />
</rule>

</group>

</rule-set>

Take Note of the group id. Set it in Notion on the Harp Staff by pressing "Shift + Y". In the cursor you will see "Use Rules". PLace it on the harp staff and name it to match the Group ID in the Rules. After you do that, you have to choose the location in your custom matrix, and you have to choose the key-switch you want to use in the Basic View of the Vienna Interface. Once you choose the key-switch in Vienna, set it to match in the Rules for where the key-switches are, or in other words, where I have placed the question marks in the rules for you. I cannot set this, because I do not know how you will set your Vienna Instrument up.

Play around with it. We do not really support this, but it is possible to reverse engineer it to get it to work.

This is the most information I can give on the subject because we do not support it. And, I consider this issue closed from our support standpoint. Other forum posters can comment on it and offer help if they want to, but this is all I can do because of the level of individual customization that has to occur from this point forward.

Regards,

Josh
notionlive

Postby pcartwright » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:47 pm

How is bisbligando notated?
pcartwright

Postby Masitito » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:17 am

AFAIK it is notated as an umeasured tremolo. You can write "bisbigl." above the note to make it clear. My custom rules for VSL harp work nicely with technique "trem" .
Masitito

Return to NOTION