Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Possible to write grace notes without a slash in Notion?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Possible to write grace notes without a slash in Notion?

Postby devastat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:02 am

Hi,

Is it possible to write notation such as shown in the picture in notion somehow?

Thanks!
Last edited by devastat on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
devastat

Re: Is it possible to write such notes

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:23 am

devastat wrote:Hi,

Is it possible to write notation such as shown in the picture in notion somehow?

Thanks!

The tiny note is a "grace note", and you can do this in NOTION by selecting the note and then right-clicking with the mouse where the popup context menu will have an item named "Notes" with a flyout submenu where at the bottom you will find "Grace Notes", and clicking on "Grace Notes" will change the larger size not to a smaller grace note . . .

There probably is a way to do this using a keyboard shortcut, and if so, then it will be found in the NOTION User Guide . . .

If you press the lower-case "g" on the keyboard, the mouse cursor will change to a grace note and you can use it to enter tiny notes . . .

And the "g" and right-click techniques work in both NOTION 3 and NOTION 4 . . .

Positioning the slur probably will not work as done in your example, but the grace notes definitely work, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Re: Possible to write grace notes without a slash in Notion?

Postby devastat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I used your instructions and managed to do this:

According to wikipedia, the grace note I have attached in the picture of my previous post is called Appoggiatura, and the grace note I am getting using notionmusic is called Acciaccatura.

Is it possible to make an Appoggiatura grace note in Notion, like the one in my previous post?
Last edited by devastat on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devastat

Re: Is it possible to write grace notes?

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:54 pm

devastat wrote:Hi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I used your instructions and managed to do this:

According to wikipedia, the grace note I have attached in the picture of my previous post is called Appoggiatura, and the grace note I am getting using notionmusic is called Acciaccatura.

Is it possible to make an Appoggiatura grace note in Notion, like the one in my previous post?

Glad to help! :)

I was not able to create an eighth note without the diagonal slash, but this does not imply that it cannot be done, just that I have not found a way to do it . . .

Lots of FUN!
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby notionlive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:36 pm

In Music Notation, A Manual of Modern Practice Gardner Read, page 239-240, the issue of Appoggiaturas is discussed.

Two quotes directly from the book are:

1. p. 239 "Single Grace-Notes are usually written as small eighth-notes, with an oblique slash through stem and flag: (there is a figure here that I leave out, refer to p. 239)."

2. Further down the page it states in the Appoggiatura Section:

pp. 239-240 "During the nineteenth century the term appoggiatura was unfortunately confused with the term acciaccatura (from the Italian verb acciaccare, meaning "to crush"). The acciaccatura is no ornament at all, but a manner of playing, then releasing a part of, a chord in keyboard music."

I don't see us changing the notation of grace notes.

-Josh
notionlive

Postby devastat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:42 pm

This is an excerpt taken from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ornament_(music)
"Acciaccatura comes from the Italian verb acciaccare, "to crush". The acciaccatura (sometimes called short appoggiatura) is perhaps best thought of as a shorter, less melodically significant, variant of the long appoggiatura, where the delay of the principal note is scarcely perceptible – theoretically subtracting no time at all. It is written using a grace note (often a quaver, or eighth note), with an oblique stroke through the stem."

Perhaps It might not hurt having the possibility to use both grace notations in the future versions of Notion - like it is possible on all the other major notation software? Obviously these two grace notes are ment to be played slightly different - perhaps some string players here could fill in?
Last edited by devastat on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devastat

Postby tubatimberinger » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:02 pm

So what you are asking is actually, can grace notes be notated w/o the slash?
tubatimberinger

Postby devastat » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:04 pm

tubatimberinger wrote:So what you are asking is actually, can grace notes be notated w/o the slash?

No. I'm simply pointing out that there can be a difference when a grace note is being written with AND without a slash.

Therefore it would be beneficial to have the possibility in Notion to write grace notes without a slash as well.
Last edited by devastat on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
devastat

Postby notionlive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Beneficial indeed.

Probably going to be a long time before that happens.
notionlive

Postby elerouxx » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 pm

The slash means that the grace notes are to be played quickly.

Without a slash, the grace notes are meant to be played with the notated duration. i.e. eight.

There are no grace notes without the slash in Notion. at least none that I found.
elerouxx

Return to NOTION