Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 VSL Special Edition Presets 1-4 Fix

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 VSL Special Edition Presets 1-4 Fix

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 pm

Some VLS comments are questions...

The rules for VSL have sections that are commented out because SE doesn't have those articulations. Will here soon be presets offered for the full instruments?

When auditioning sounds with a MIDI keyboard, Notion always resets the articulation to the upper left of the Matrix. The only way to audition other articulations is by clicking VSL virtual keyboard. Not very convenient.

Using velocity crossfades for solo instrument just doesn't work, as you're not hearing a solo instrument.

There are many redundant patches in the various matrices. Why is that?

Some matrices have slot cross fades setup, but there's no slot cross fade controller assigned.

The VI Pro presets have humanize turned off. That's one of the big reasons to buy the pro version!
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:36 pm

wcreed51 wrote:Some VLS comments are questions...

The rules for VSL have sections that are commented out because SE doesn't have those articulations. Will here soon be presets offered for the full instruments?

-Currently there is no plan to offer such a setup.

wcreed51 wrote:When auditioning sounds with a MIDI keyboard, Notion always resets the articulation to the upper left of the Matrix. The only way to audition other articulations is by clicking VSL virtual keyboard. Not very convenient.

-Notion always sends the main sound keyswitch in the audition from the MIDI Controller. I hope that at some point this would be changed, but I cannot make any promises about this feature request.

wcreed51 wrote:Using velocity crossfades for solo instrument just doesn't work, as you're not hearing a solo instrument.

-I have not seen this happen. I am not certain what you are asking here, but after a short test on the Solo Violin, and Flute I patches, I can see and hear Velocity X-Fade happening in both during a long held note, and over time in repetition.

wcreed51 wrote:There are many redundant patches in the various matrices. Why is that?

-Mixing patches together accentuates the realism of Vienna playback. The best way to describe the reason here is to give an example. In Special Edition, you only get a certain number of patches so in the "Accents" case, if you listen to playback of the "fp" samples, you will find that they do not sustain for very long. So to create realism in fp/sustain, "fp" and "Sustain" are added together and mixed for playback of longer notes with a "fp" at the beginning of the note. Same goes for accents, detache (portato) speed, accented trills and so on.

That is the whole reason Vienna gives you so much control by adding 8 patches that can be added to a single slot in a matrix. You can adjust the attack time of the patches so that you can get a quick attack on the accent and a slow attack on it's particular sustain.

Also, in the overall, there are patches that are set up that are not totally based on Keyswitches as they were in the old version on presets, but also Speed and Velocity effect the placement in the matrix in the rules.

wcreed51 wrote:Some matrices have slot cross fades setup, but there's no slot cross fade controller assigned.

Same answer as earlier, except, we are not trying to give the user control of the crossfades. However, you can save your own presets, thus assigning a controller, changing patches and slots or whatever settings you wish to change. You are welcome to set presets up as you want, and that is really the beauty of using Vienna. These presets that we have sent out are not set in stone, and you can save them to your own preset Folders if you like. VSL applications are very customizeable and that is where the power of Vienna lies. We think of these patches as a good start to work with in Notion and beyond that, users have the option of using them as a palette to build their own patches using our rules, or by creating your own.

The VI Pro presets have humanize turned off. That's one of the big reasons to buy the pro version![/quote]

Yes it is a big reason to buy it. We did not utilize this function for our users because humanize is not one size fits all. Have fun with it and once again, build your own presets. Save them in a different folder, and create your own custom presets. Special Edition in Notion is attempting to find a happy medium for one size fits all, and you can use humanization to your liking. We are not disallowing the use of Vienna, but rather, doing the dirty work of making Notion communicate with Vienna for you.

I hope this helps,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm

I appreciate the long detailed answer!

My point with VelXF and any other type of layering with solo instruments is not that they don't work to control volume, but that they're no longer solo instruments, as the voices overlap making them "ensemble".

If you play while clicking the VelXF on and off, you hear a huge difference.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:50 pm

Okay, I will look into that.

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby benoitberthe » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Hello Everybody,

i've a question,

i've Notion 4 ( last update ) and VSL SE vol 1 and 1+.

i have installed the presets updates that Notion provide, but here is the problem...

when i load an instrument, with VSL Special Edition pannel ( notion 3)
all work well except that i've not any dynamics....

when i load with VSL Special Edition pannel , dynamics are very good, but i've some articulations that don't work at all, like all portamento, glissendo, slides ; flatter, tremolos ( for horns and trumpets ) etc....

any solutions ?

Best Regards,

Benoit.
benoitberthe

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:29 pm

Are you sure that SE has those articulations?
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Previous

Return to NOTION