Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Bundled Sounds Download

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 Bundled Sounds Download

Postby DaddyO » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Surfwhammy,

Yes, thank you, I DID read the email. It does not answer the question. A post from the Admin the first day said that Notion 4 will not work properly if you do not also install the sounds [edited by DaddyO to add, this is incorrect. I went back and looked and it was a user who said this, my mistake] . If I cannot successfully download the sounds, then I am stuck until I can. I would like an official post from Notion answering these questions.

I appreciate that things worked easily and straightforward for you. I'm happy for you. But the obstacles I'm encountering are not due to storms or earthquakes, to my failing to adequately read emails (my wife would laugh at that, because I'm famous for not reading instructions carefully, but in this case I did.) The obstacles are real, and they are due to something with respect to the download site, or file, or bandwidth issues, or whatever.

I appreciate that you are trying to be constructive and helpful, but it comes across as if you think that if everyone just did it the way you did, or was more careful or attentive, or if only there were no act of God which prevented proper downloading, or whatever, there would be no problem. That is not the case.
Last edited by DaddyO on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby elerouxx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:24 pm

DaddyO, yeah, you can run notion without the sounds, or just with the ones you want. You just will have more grayed out instruments in the list. These days, in which I didn't manage to download any sound, I was just trying N4 with external libraries.

Admin posted an URL from which you can download the instruments as you need them, in another thread.
elerouxx

Postby TOSCANINI » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:28 am

6th try to download the sound bundle for Mac,
hope install the Notion 4 bundle before the launching of Notion 5...
TOSCANINI

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 am

DaddyO wrote:Surfwhammy,

Yes, thank you, I DID read the email. It does not answer the question. A post from the Admin the first day said that Notion 4 will not work properly if you do not also install the sounds. If I cannot successfully download the sounds, then I am stuck until I can. I would like an official post from Notion answering these questions.

I appreciate that things worked easily and straightforward for you. I'm happy for you. But the obstacles I'm encountering are not due to storms or earthquakes, to my failing to adequately read emails (my wife would laugh at that, because I'm famous for not reading instructions carefully, but in this case I did.) The obstacles are real, and they are due to something with respect to the download site, or file, or bandwidth issues, or whatever.

I appreciate that you are trying to be constructive and helpful, but it comes across as if you think that if everyone just did it the way you did, or was more careful or attentive, or if only there were no act of God which prevented proper downloading, or whatever, there would be no problem. That is not the case.

Daddyo,

We are doing everything we can at the moment to figure out the download issue. It appears that there are not consistencies to the issues people are having. As in they are not in the same geographic location, not on the same operating system, and not on the same ISP. We have created a page to download the sounds individually located here:

http:www.notionmusic.com/support/notion4_sampleupdate.html

We realize that this doesn't solve the issue that some users are having with download speed, but it is somewhat of a quick fix for the users experiencing issues.

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby DaddyO » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 am

Admin,

Thanks for your response and for the fact that Notion is looking into the problem. If you could tell me which is correct, whether downloaded sounds are required or not for Notion 4 to run properly, I would appreciate it.

FYI, 45 minutes in my download speed this morning has dropped from 800k/sec to 230k/sec and continuing to diminish. Estimated download time is now approaching 7 hours. I am using a Comcast cable modem, I reside in the Seattle area. I run a PC with 2.4 GHz quad core CPU and 8 GB DDR2 RAM. I started this morning's download about 7:30 am PST. I'm including this in case it's helpful.

Postby scarter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Kyle,
Thanks to the Notion crew for posting the sample files for individual download. That worked for me, and I am very grateful to now have Notion 4 up and running.

Steve
scarter

Postby Brian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm

This is Brian from Notion Music Technical Support. I am currently in charge of our network and wanted to provide you with some information about the download speed of the sounds bundle. The data center that hosts our site is an esteemed data center and hosts sites for many prominent companies. I was able to talk with their network team and this is what they have said about the issue.

"Seattle, WA: 22.58 Mbps down, 21.02 Mbps up
San Francisco, CA: 23.88 down, 21.74 up
Los Angeles, CA: 54.29 down, 42.59 up
Dallas, TX: 24.68 down, 23.05 up
Chicago, IL: 16.47 down, 15.55 up
Atlanta, GA: 11.91 down, 11.46 up
New York, NY: 12.41 down, 11.01 up
Washington, DC: 12.72 down, 11.84 up

The important figures here are the upload speed, as that would of course be your server sending a file to a remote computer. As you can see, they are all above at least 11 Mbps, which equates to 1.375 MBps, so each of these locations are capable of downloading from your server at a very high speed. Some of the locations reach even higher speeds, and LA even broke 5MBps, so as you can see, there is nothing wrong with the network connection or port on our end. It is more likely an issue with individual internet providers, and quite possibly related to hurricane Sandy as we discussed earlier."

I was able to download the sounds from a remote location at a speed of about 600 kBps last evening without getting reset once. It did throttle to a lower rate at times but I was able to get the download during our busiest time. I checked our equipment and we are only running at 50 % of our network resources. I am sorry to hear that some people are having a problem with the download. There are many variables here especially the different ISP's that everyone is using across the globe. As many of you know, New York City took a tremendous hit with the storm that came through this week and there are many international network hubs up there. All ISP's are re-routing traffic and there are going to be slowdowns until everything is up and running again. It seems that the ISP's are throttling back larger downloads and smaller ones are getting better speeds. That being said, we have created a new web page with links to all of the individual sounds so that you can download them one or two at a time if that would be easier for you. Here is the link. http://www.notionmusic.com/support/noti ... pdate.html If you are still having a problem please feel free to contact me directly at support@notionmusic.com and I would be happy to assist you on a personal basis. One thing that you might need to be aware of for the people having a problem with resets is that you will want to set your computer so that it does not go to sleep. You may also need to set your power settings so that your monitor does not go to sleep as well. Thank you to everyone for your patience and please don't hesitate to contact me directly if you need personal assistance.

Warmest Regards,

Brian
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:46 pm

DaddyO wrote:Admin,

Thanks for your response and for the fact that Notion is looking into the problem. If you could tell me which is correct, whether downloaded sounds are required or not for Notion 4 to run properly, I would appreciate

Hi,
If you download, install, and authorize the N4 app (first link) it will work, you can use Notion...no sounds or playback of course. Then you will need to download the sounds bundle. If you continue to have issues, even download issues, please contact support@notionmusic.com (email or phone). I would recommend that step first if anyone has issues. The forum is great, but perhaps you won't always get the best and most timely of responses.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby DaddyO » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Brian,

Thanks for stepping in, I just sent you an email.

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Regarding ISPs, this is a bit of information about Comcast and what they are doing with respect to capping, metering, and throttling . . .

And the company is spending considerable effort to measure the traffic for each customer, to build a usage meter and create a warning and billing system.

Local traffic congestion measures, where Comcast throttles heavy data users for 15-minute periods when local loops are filling up, will remain in effect, now and into the future, [Comcast executive vice president David L. Cohen] said.

[SOURCE: Comcast Suspends Data Cap Temporarily, Will Test New Overage Fees (Wired.com, May 2012) ]

And this is Comcast's policy regarding "Real world" types of bandwidth consumption that might be considered too much, hence are subject to network traffic congestion management:

First, the local network must be approaching a congested state for our technique to even look for traffic to manage. Assuming that is the case, customers’ accounts must exceed a certain percentage of their upstream or downstream bandwidth (both currently set at 70%) for longer than a certain period of time, currently set at 15 minutes.

[SOURCE: Comcast Throttling Skype Calls - Rendering Skype Unusable After 15 Minutes (Skype Community Support Network) ]

This is the link to the full text of "Comcast's Protocol-Agnostic Congestion Management System" disclosed in its "Request for Comments: 6057" to the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) in December 2010:

"Comcast's Protocol-Agnostic Congestion Management System" (Internet Engineering Task Force [IETF])

The local ISP here in the middle of nowhere does something similar but not nearly so Draconian, where for example I did a quick test this morning at 07:30 CST and the initial download speed was approximately 700 KB/sec, which is mind-boggling fast for downloads here, but when the total gets to approximately 100MB, the download speed drops to approximately 250 KB/sec, which for here is peppy, so it is easy to see that the local ISP is doing network traffic management, but the key difference is that once they throttle the download speed to to 250 KB/sec they leave it alone, and depending on total traffic it can increase, but it also can decrease . . .

[NOTE: For reference, I have done this test three times and only for a few short time, perhaps 5 to 10 minutes, at which time I cancel the download . . . ]

In fact, I am doing the aforementioned third test as I work on this post, and the local ISP throttling started when the total was approximately 200MB, where now after 5 minutes or so the download speed is approximately 230 KB/sec, which was what I wanted to know, hence I stopped the download . . .

THOUGHTS

I fully understand that it can appear to be a bit wacky if not Orwellian to suggest that there is a concerted effort to interfere with the timely dissemination of information, but (a) it is real and (b) it is easily observed . . .

One possibility for a practical solution is to separate the single large file into a set of medium-size files using RAR (a.k.a., WinRAR) or WinZIP, where 350MB to 500MB is a good size, because this is approximately the size of standard definition (SD) movie at the Amazon Prime and the iTunes Store, and none of the ISPs are going to mess with Amazon.com and Apple . . .

An high definition (HD) movie will be in the range of approximate 1 to 1.5 GB, which suggests that this is the practical upper limit, because if people had problems downloading movies it would be front page news and the FCC, FTC, and so forth would not be happy campers with the ISPs, since among other things there are federal laws, rules, and regulations regarding what colloquially is called "net neutrality", and certain types of throttling and other practices are prohibited by law . . .

WinRAR (rarlab)

RAR Expander for the Mac

WinZIP also does this, and there are free versions of WinZIP and RAR Expander that unpack and combine the separate files, where the original file is put in a folder . . .

WinZIP (WinZip Computing)

The logic for splitting the NOTION 4 sampled sounds library into a set of segments approximately 350MB to 500MB each is that this is more likely to keep the overall downloading activity "below the radar", where there will be a bit of throttling, but instead of going from (a) lightning fast to (b) slower than a snail, the download speed will decrease but in a graceful way that maps to both successful completion and pretty good throughput . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. The nice aspect of RAR (a.k.a., WinRAR) is that each segment is numbered, so the set might be {N4BundledSoundsPart1.rar, N4BundledSoundsPart2.rar, . . . , N4BundledSoundsPart12.rar}, and the strategy is to download all the parts to the same folder, where once all the parts are downloaded you run WinRAR, WinZIP, or RAR Expander (Mac), and it assembles and uncompresses the parts to produce the original file, which includes doing a bit of error-checking and so forth to verify that the parts were correctly downloaded, which essentially makes it like downloading 12 large individual instruments, where this could be part of what one might call the "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" strategy, where the goal is to get Goldilocks a symphonic orchestra, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION