Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Bundled Sounds Download

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 early impressions/opinions

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:33 am

DaddyO wrote:Well, this morning I'm getting about 700K/sec download speeds, but that's because I started it about 5:40 am before everyone in the US wakes up. I've got to leave before it will finish, so we'll see if it times out again. I've adjusted my computer auto-sleep time to "Never."

Which operating system and web browser are you using?

The reason I ask is that I downloaded the NOTION 4 sound samples yesterday using Safari on the Mac, and the connection was lost a few times, but all I had to do was resume it, and it started from where it stopped . . .

Firefox also does this on the Mac, where both of these browsers on the Mac have "resume" buttons . . .

It could be the operating system and web browser, but another possibility is that your iSP has network management software that disconnects every so often as a sneaky way to throttle throughput, where each time the ISP "disconnects" it also issues you a new proxy or whatever, hence your computer operating system and web browser cannot start from where they stopped and instead have no choice but to start all over from the beginning, where this typically happens when an ISP sets rigid quotas or limits on download traffic, which can be at the daily level, where for example your ISP might have a daily download limit of 3GB, 4GB, 5GB, or whatever, and once you reach the quota, this is all you can download until the next day, which is Draconian, but some ISPs do this intentionally to avoid spending money on equipment and trunk lines or whatever, and if this is what is happening, then you will need to order the physical DVDs . . .

Not lots of FUN! :(
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Re: Notion 4 Bundled Sounds Download

Postby themeworks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:06 am

Guys,

I have a 50MB network connection -- and this is trickling in at 60-80k/s. Unreal.

Is there anyway to mirror this package, or utilize an AMAZON EC2 cache storage location to help with the parallel downloads? When I download 20GB from Cinesamples or Native Instruments, it flies like the wind.

I had to drop the browser download and literally utilize a scripted "wget" to keep the consistency up and I still cannot get past 100k/s.

If this fails - will you guys give us free DVD shipping for the sounds package?

Regards,

- C.
themeworks

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:11 am

themeworks wrote:Guys,

I have a 50MB network connection -- and this is trickling in at 60-80k/s. Unreal.

Is there anyway to mirror this package, or utilize an AMAZON EC2 cache storage location to help with the parallel downloads? When I download 20GB from Cinesamples or Native Instruments, it flies like the wind.

I had to drop the browser download and literally utilize a scripted "wget" to keep the consistency up and I still cannot get past 100k/s.

If this fails - will you guys give us free DVD shipping for the sounds package?

Regards,

- C.

Are you still getting speeds this slow as of this morning? We have taken some measures to allow more bandwith per user so it should be increasing....
Admin
Site Admin

Postby themeworks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 am

78k/s
themeworks

Postby scarter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 am

FYI: I re-started my download, using the BundleSoundsDownloader application, a few hours ago. It has timed out a few times and I've clicked retry and it does resume, but it is at 48KB/s. This is after your message about increasing bandwidth. I am on a cable modem which is otherwise very fast.

Steve Carter
Dover, NH
scarter

Postby themeworks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:36 am

screenshot_161.png
screenshot_161.png (17.49 KiB) Viewed 31625 times

At this rate, I am never going to get to experience Notion 4.
themeworks

Postby themeworks » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Now we are down to 15k/s.

I give up.
themeworks

Postby DaddyO » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:19 pm

I just returned from being gone all morning. I decided to give it another try, and right off the bat I'm in the 50-60K/sec range, projected to take 30 hourse for the download. I canceled again, knowing from previous experience it will time out and be wasted effort for the third time.

I appreciate that you guys are working on this, but I think you need to create an official "sticky" post with replies disabled in which you outline anything we should be doing differently than trying every few hours to rerun the installer. Or at least to tell us to stay tuned. At this point, I don't know where in the several threads you might have some help for me. Since I will be leaving again shortly, I don't have time for tech support today. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Postby Yves » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:25 pm

hum... I'm not the only one getting Issues...I had two times out... and after 10hrs of download, it is now show a remaining time of 66hrs!
it does not look like the download upgrade was ready at all for anybody... we should have all ordered a dvd copy!
Attachments
download.jpg
66hrs left!!!
download.jpg (106.89 KiB) Viewed 31592 times
Notion 4/Sonar X3 producer/Reason 7-Akai EWI USB/Yamaha C2s
Synful/Wivi/VSL inst./Miroslav/GPO4/N3 Exp. Sounds/QL Solo Violin/Hauptwerk
EW Symphonic Choirs+VOP/Vocaloid 3 Prima+Tonio
QL Pianos/Garritan Steinway/EZKeys/Pianoteq 4
Waves/Clariphonic/Maag
Yves

Postby DaddyO » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:36 pm

Here's a screenshot of mine, admittedly just at the very beginning, but the speed is reflective of what I've had all three previous times I've tried to run the installer.

I did see in a previous thread that had a link to the individual download of sounds. But earlier we had been told that we must download the sounds in order for Notion 4 to behave properly. Did I misunderstand? Can I go ahead and install Notion 4 without all the sounds? If so, are there certain sounds I must download for things to work, or do I need to download only sounds I plan on using? I doesn't seem feasible to download all of those individual instruments individually.

Answers to things like this will help clear matters up.

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION