Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 early impressions/opinions

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion 4 early impressions/opinions

Postby Eftwyrd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 pm

I'd like to capture a few impressions from all the users here what they think about notion 4. The step from 3 to 4, cool new things like 64Bit, things they are missing and so on, so we don't have hundres of new topics in 2 days.
Eftwyrd

Re: Notion 4 early impressions/opinions

Postby dshertz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:02 pm

This may be obvious but I have found that none of my 32 bit VSTs (RealGuitar2, UAD-2, Stereoizer3) can be enabled in the VST manager. I would expect that the problem lies with the VST code, but if anyone knows of a workaround, please post.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely delighted to be in 64 bit. The larger memory capacity allows expanding arrangements ad hoc.

But I would have to say after using the software for a week that I am alarmed at the number of incidental bugs:
backspace and home key shortcut does not work, "No Specific Technique" for VI Pro voices, rehersal letters leave trails when I drag it around, level indicator misdrawn when mixer and sequencer side by side, and more incidental crashes. I have to question extent of QA testing of N4 and would have to say that the software does not give me a "solid" feeling.
Last edited by dshertz on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Notion 4, VSL SE, LASS, BBB, Symphobia, Ivory, Real Guitar, CineSamples Brass and Winds
Win 7, I7 3770-3.4GHz, Asus P8Z77-V, 16Gb, PreSonus Firebox
dshertz

Postby pcartwright » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:43 pm

dshertz wrote:This may be obvious but I have found that none of my 32 bit VSTs (RealGuitar2, UAD-2, Stereoizer3) can be enabled in the VST manager. I would expect that the problem lies with the VST code, but if anyone knows of a workaround, please post.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely delighted to be in 64 bit.

You'll need some sort of bridging software (JBridge) as it doesn't appear that Notion bridges 32 bit plugins.
pcartwright

Postby TOSCANINI » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:17 am

So, i need more time to work before i get a complete opinion. But, for me, and i think of it since the "new features announcement", Notion 4 is more a "Notion 3.5"

And it must be "great" or only "good", that's depend of the future of Notion...

I was hoping for major improvements (video support, new libraries integration, complete and great pianoroll, major improvements on the mixer (automation...), a minimum ability to edit waves files directly in Notion...), but new features on Notion 4 are more "behind the screen" features, that's why i said its more Notion 3.5.

Now, for me, everything depends of the Notion Music strategy, and there is two possibilities.

1) Notion 4 is "the product", no "major" and "professional" improvements in the future, in a way to be a very good "ipad app compatible" software. So, for me, Notion 4 is "good", i was aware that there be no major changes planning, i was aware i must improve my Notion works with other softwares and that's all.

2) Notion 4 is "a step" (Notion 3.5) before major improvements to get the future of Notion a very much complete and "professional" way. So, it's "great", major improvements and i wait for the future revolution...

So at these point, i was very happy with some improvements, but not thrilled by Notion 4...

To get an example of what seem a good thing and a wrong thing at the same time, let's talk about 64 bit.

Notion 64 bit is great, we all wait for it, Notion people make great job but i don't want to chose between my 64 and 32 bit VST instruments and effects, i want to work with bot of them in Notion 64bit and i don't want myself install jbridge ore something like that...

I work in 64 bit with Cubase 6.5 and Logic Pro 9 and these softwares let me use my 32bit VST instruments and effects so it's possible ! And for me, that's the duty of Notion people to do it this way, not my job, and no problem if i have to pay more for it !

So, you see people on the forum ask why they don't able to use the 32bit instrument and effect's they have and the only response was "Use Notion 4 in 32bit mode" (and lost the major improvement in Notion 4 and the money you pay for this major improvement) or "use jbridge" (and start dealing with problems)...

And a lot of things on Notion 4 seem the same "middle of the bridge" between "good" and "not that good" option.

- Midi editing seems better but not that much complete and practical...
- VSL SE 1-4 is good but not enough... (don't seem to work well with individual download instruments who are now part of VSL SE1-4, seem i have to reload them...but maybe i wrong, i will work with much time and see)
- Wave integration seems better but you always don't visualise the wave form...

So, my point of view, Notion people made good work with Notion 4, but the main problem is after buying, installing and use it, i always wait for "the major step" improvement of Notion...

Cheers
TOSCANINI

Postby Eftwyrd » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:31 am

Well if
Notion 4 is "the product", no "major" and "professional" improvements in the future
are coming I think some have to switch to another notation software sooner or later. But I really hope that this isn't the case and Notion becomes THE professional alternative to other notation software.
Eftwyrd

Postby TOSCANINI » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:43 am

Eftwyrd wrote:Well if
Notion 4 is "the product", no "major" and "professional" improvements in the future
are coming I think some have to switch to another notation software sooner or later. But I really hope that this isn't the case and Notion becomes THE professional alternative to other notation software.

So do i, and i think that Notion 4 should be this professional alternative, but it's clearly not, just a better Notion 3 version...
TOSCANINI

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:13 am

Cubase and Logic have their own bridging functions (like jBridge). Notions certainly doesn't have the resources to provide that.

I think it would make more sense to be complaining to companies that are STILL not providing 64bit plugins
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby elerouxx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 am

I don't agree about N4 being just an improved Notion 3. There are more improvements here than you can usually see in sibelius or finale. Many users of these programs are just as frustrated by every move, because it's hard to satisfy every need.

See, Toscanini, most of the improvements you expected don't mean a lot to me. Instead, I really waited for some improvements in notation (like grand staff cross beaming) because I can't live without it. Instead of a piano roll and editing wav files, I expect rewire to work properly so I can use notion along a true DAW like reaper, which has these features. I really though the features I requested were critical for Notion's future, but then all the users feel the same way about their requests. I hope that guys at Notion keep improving and implementing some features in the future, but the worst thing to do is to have expectations that are beyond reality and disencourage new users.

Notion still follows its original concepts: it's a wonderful composition tool, it plays the music beautifully and the interface doesn't get in the middle between creativity and score. It got even easier to create music with the new entry tools.

It's perfectly possible to use it as one big instrument among a DAW setup and it sounds real enough without a lot of work. And at $99 right now, it's a great deal! I say the same thing I use to say about Reaper: they clearly deserve the money, and they have to keep going.
elerouxx

Postby kowloon12 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm

This program needs a video player.. tried as master with reaper as slave but it's just unusable..
kowloon12

Postby mrarnesen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 pm

One improvement i'm very happy about is that on Mac it finally draws the correct notes when I use the mouse to draw notes. On N3 it too often drawed the wrong note if I didn't zoomed in the score approx 300%. Perhaps this have been mentioned before, but it use to take too much time correcting the notes, and it made me quite upset.
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Next

Return to NOTION