Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 early impressions/opinions

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 early impressions/opinions

Postby elerouxx » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:52 pm

kowloon12 wrote:This program needs a video player.. tried as master with reaper as slave but it's just unusable..

I use a vst plugin called 'mediavst'. There is a post about it in the forums, take a look.
elerouxx

Postby kowloon12 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:13 am

elerouxx wrote:
kowloon12 wrote:This program needs a video player.. tried as master with reaper as slave but it's just unusable..

I use a vst plugin called 'mediavst'. There is a post about it in the forums, take a look.

I found and tried the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of it, neither of which are acceptable (drop outs, out of sync, freezes when playing with ntempo and so on), I also tried chaingang and mtc video slave using a vst plugin in notion which generates smpte time code.. no luck.

this is a serious program and NEEDS at least a basic video player, no bells and whistles, just play a video more or less in sync, I don't care of esoteric features or sample accurate sync or compatibility with every video format.. just open a file and play it as the music goes..
kowloon12

Postby mpdwarka » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Tying eighth note grace note to non-grace note quarter note of the same pitch doesn't seem to work
mpdwarka

Postby scarter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 pm

To Coda now seems to work. In Notion 3 I'd place the To Coda in the cursor and put the cursor right on the barline going into the first ending, but Notion would always play the second ending again. I opened one of my Notion 3 files that had this problem. I deleted and re-entered the To Coda and it seems to work. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but if this bug is fixed, it's a big time-saver for me. I used to have to make "long scores" with copy-paste sections instead of DS al Coda.

Tied notes going into second ending and/or Coda don't seem to work. If I tie an eighth note into the first ending, it works, but there seems to be no way to tie it into the second ending, or, when the To Coda sign is right at the first ending, into the Coda. The note is re-struck. Minor annoyance.

Steve
scarter

Postby notionlive » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:10 pm

mpdwarka wrote:Tying eighth note grace note to non-grace note quarter note of the same pitch doesn't seem to work

Exactly what would the reason be for doing this? Do you just want playback to start a grace-notes' worth earlier?

You can do that with the Sequencer Overlay. A Tie would assume that the Quarter does not need to be rearticulated after the Grace is played. So why write it with a Grace Note? Why not just place a thirty-second or a sixty-fourth at the end of the previous measure and tie that together?

I am just trying to find a workaround here. I would love to know the goal that you would be trying to acheive by trying to tie a matched pitch grace-note. You can slur them, which brings about a re-articulation on the quarter.

-Josh
notionlive

Postby elerouxx » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:20 pm

kowloon12 wrote:
elerouxx wrote:

I found and tried the 32 bit and the 64 bit version of it, neither of which are acceptable (drop outs, out of sync, freezes when playing with ntempo and so on), I also tried chaingang and mtc video slave using a vst plugin in notion which generates smpte time code.. no luck.

this is a serious program and NEEDS at least a basic video player, no bells and whistles, just play a video more or less in sync, I don't care of esoteric features or sample accurate sync or compatibility with every video format.. just open a file and play it as the music goes..

Yeah, I know it's far from perfect, but the trick to mediavst is to use it to play video only, no sound, and import the sound as wav file separatedly.

You can also rewire Notion to reaper or another DAW which accepts rewire and plays video. I don't know if rewire is working properly in N4.
elerouxx

Postby pcartwright » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:04 am

I was able to get Notion as host to work with Reaper as slave, but I needed to adjust my ASIO settings a little bit (ASIO4ALL). I was able to get Reaper as host to work (but not consistently).

Does anyone have any feedback on other DAWs acting as host?
pcartwright

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:45 am

pcartwright wrote:Does anyone have any feedback on other DAWs acting as host?

On the Mac, NOTION 4 works very accurately and smoothly both as a ReWire 2 host controller and as a ReWire 2 slave in 64-bit mode, and for for testing the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application as ReWire 2 host controller scenario I used Logic Pro 9 , where NOTION 4 is a ReWire 2 slave . . .

I made a QuickTime video of Logic Pro 9 as ReWire 2 host controller operating both NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5 (Propellerhead Software) on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (20GB memory) running Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion) . . .

Logic Pro 9, NOTION 4, Reason 6.5, and ReWire 2 -- 64-bits -- High-Resolution QuickTime Movie -- MOV (19MB, approximately 6 minutes)

NOTION 4, ReWire 2, and the Mac (Notion Music FORUM)

I ordered Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) earlier this week, and it is scheduled to arrive on Monday November 5, 2012, so I will do ReWire 2 testing with it in a few days, where for reference Digital Performer 8 is available in both Mac and Windows versions . . .

DIgital Performer 8 has extensive video and film scoring capabilities, and I am confident that the Mac and Windows versions will work accurately and smoothly in a combined ReWire 2, NOTION 4, and video and film scoring scenario, because it is professional quality software, which when combined with MOTU hardware for example has the ability to drive a large screen display for use in an orchestra recording session for doing music for video and film scores where the purpose of the separate large screen display is to make it possible for the orchestra musicians and singers to see the video or film to which they are playing and singing, where obviously the film is provided in video format . . .

[NOTE: in the middle of this webpage there is a video showing some of the capabilities of Digital Performer 8 for film scoring . . . ]

Digital Performer 8 (MOTU)

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. For reference, Cubase 6.5 (Steinberg) does not support 64-bit ReWire 2, so it not included in the set of DAW applications that I recommend, so at present I am comfortable recommending Digital Performer and Logic Pro, and Digital Performer 8 is the only Windows DAW application I am comfortable recommending . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Previous

Return to NOTION