Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

A huge Thank you and more...

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

A huge Thank you and more...

Postby davidmesiha » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:23 pm

Hey guys,

this is a little message for everyone at notion. I'm sure that many people will complain and feel that there are features that each one would need and are missing. However, I would like to thank you for the phenomenal work that you have done and I hope will continue to do.
You have been the best company I have ever dealt with for their customer support and engaging their customer base. You have provided a great take on notation software at an extremely affordable price.
You have patiently listened to the complaining and screaming, and kept your head down while focusing on the task at hand.
For all fo this, I would like to truly thank you and I hope that you can take a couple of days to celebrate your achievement and be happy. I believe that in today's tech world it is crucial for us to acknowledge when companies have done as well as you have and to encourage you to keep in going the same path.

once again, thank you and I wish you all the best.

sincerely

David Mesiha
davidmesiha

Re: A huge Thank you and more...

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 pm

Thanks so much David!

I don't know about taking a few days to celebrate:) We've got to ship out all of the new copies!! I'm sure we'll all get a nice little bit of rest this weekend....

Cheers!
Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby 7stringjazz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:46 pm

+1! Great Job. Nothing is perfect and I wanted to see some things, but I'm still excited to have it in 64bit! Thanks!!
Classical music is the kind we keep thinking will turn into a tune. -Kin Hubbard

Musings: [url]Soundcloud.com/7stringjazz[/url]
7stringjazz

Postby gregmo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:20 pm

Agreed. I've been excited about 64 bit for awhile, and was only TOO happy to delete jbridge, as there were MANY bugs in it for Mac. Of course, everyone has to realize that the guys at Notion get hundreds of emails daily, as there are MANY users. I, for one, have always been impressed by the response time, and the willingness to help. Try dealing with EWQL....customer service is virtually nonexistent, and they will generally tell you that it is everyone else's problem. I know - I've been on with them a few times. The Notion guys??? Geez....these guys help even when it's NOT their software causing an issue, but another program, such as VSL. Yes, these guys get requests and demands each and every day they work. Give 'em a break. I was quite happy with N3's interface and more....they've only improved the product drastically since, by giving us 64 bit. Might I remind everyone that N4's price is also lower....MUCH lower, than in the past. Great job guys. Keep it up. Yeah, there's some things I would like to see, as I'm sure everyone has a wish list. But, it's still heads and shoulders above Sibelius 7, which costs many times more!!!!
gregmo

Postby elerouxx » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:23 pm

I agree. I know there were lots of requests, and everyone thinks his request is the most important (including me of course), but I have to say that Notion changed my life, in so many ways that it would take a very long email to tell.

Notion 4 is a great achievement, some of the new features are really awesome, and most of them are under de hood, as the team says. I love how the new input tools work. Even while I like to write most of the music, the fretboard input is very, really useful for any strings instrument. Including composing for bowed strings!. The drum kit and drum library entry is also great, and of course the piano.

So great work! Thank you very much!
elerouxx

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 am

Agreed! :)

Unless someone has done advanced GUI programming with audio and video intensive applications, they probably have no realistic concept of how difficult the work is, and when MIDI, VST, and ReWire are added, the work becomes virtually mind-bogglingly difficult . . .

In my initial testing of NOTON 4 yesterday, I was very happen simply by being able to run more than one instance of MachFive 3 (MOTU), which is pretty much the upper limit for NOTION 3 due to 32-bit application workspace limitations, but I had no problems running three instances of MachFive 3 in NOTION 4 in 64-bit mode, as well as one instance of Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), which also is a computing intensive VSTi virtual instrument. I will not know the practical upper limit until I do more experiments, but the Mac OS X Activity Monitor reports a lot of available computing and memory resources, so I think the upper limit will not be a problem . . .

After getting all that stuff working, I focused on ReWire and got it working nicely, which took approximately two hours, mostly because the "Enabled ReWire" option was checked after NOTION 4 installed, and I think this was due to this setting being carried over from NOTION 3, which also is on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (20GB memory) here in the sound isolation studio, although this is a guess, because once I toggled the "Enable ReWire" option, where each time I quit and restarted NOTION 4, ReWire started working, and when after previously toggling it OFF, I then restarted NOTION 4 andI toggled the "Enable ReWire" option to turn it ON (a.k.a., "checked"), there was a message notifying me that NOTION 4 was configuring ReWire, which is the reason that I am guessing this is an important step . . .

I am creating a new topic on NOTION 4 and ReWire on the Mac, and I did a quick video to demonstrate that it works with Logic Pro 9 and Reason 6.5 . . .

When Digital Performer 8 (MOTU) arrives in a few days, I will verify that it also does ReWire 2 successfully with NOTION 4 and Reason 6.5, where everything is 64-bits . . .

Regarding the 32-bits vs. 64-bits aspect, all the effects plug-ins I use have dual versions, so the only things that are 32-bit only are the IK Multimedia virtual instruments, and I think that IK Multimedia will be updating them in the not so distant future, and until then I can run everything in 32-bit mode when I need to use the IK Multimedia virtual instruments but otherwise switch to 64-bit mode. If it takes IK Multimedia longer to do 64-bit versions of their virtual instruments, then I might get Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (Vienna Symphony Library), since it has a "bridge" feature for virtual instruments . . .

My perspective it that it makes more sense for Notion Music to move forward than to waste a lot of time devising a "bridge" strategy essentially for one set of 32-bit virtual instruments, and for reference the IK Multimedia effects plug-ins have 64-bit versions, as do the FabFilter Software Instruments effects plug-ins that I use . . .

MachFive 3 (MOTU), Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), and Addictive Keys (XLN Audio) are 64-bits, as is the FabFilter Software Instruments virtual instrument, Twin 2, and this is plenty of instruments, although I really like the IK Multimedia virtual instruments . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION