Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Random Selection of Things We've Been Working On

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Random Selection of Things We've Been Working On

Postby deanesque » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Jim,

First, thanks for your thoughts. I love my Sibelius but, as you said, it is a different product. What brought me to Notion was the promise of a Notation program that was designed from the ground up as a real-time playback and composing platform. The is approach was radically different from all other notation programs that were designed as notation layout/printing apps first and added real-time playback features latter. It is a design philosophy that, in my opinion, was sorely needed and whose time was ripe. Such a design implies features need for real-time composing. For my teaching tasks I will probably always use Sibelius since it has spent may rears developing layout features. I want to use Notion for composing and rewire. For me that requires certain basics feature such as proper MIDI recording. I can't work without them. I purchased Notion about 3 years ago and have been told all that time that c.c. #64 recording is "on the list". So can you understand my frustration in finding out that I still can't use the program I bought so long ago?
deanesque

Postby jim » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:59 pm

thanks
Last edited by jim on Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
jim

Postby Funkybot » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:50 pm

Jim, when was the last time you guys surveyed your user base to find out basic info about where they'd like to see Notion go and what's important to them? When it comes to prioritizing features, user surveys can provide invaluable information.

You could always use a company like ForeSee or SurveyMonkey to quickly get a survey together. My understanding is that a 20% response rate is basically industry standard, so look at your email lists, and figure out what 20% of that would be. Incentives also work (for instance, save X percent on a Notion expansion pack if you complete the survey).

Some basic questions you can ask:

1. How important are standard notation/scoring features to you
2. How important is printing scores to you
3. How important are live performance features
4. How important is third party sound library support
5. How important are custom rules
6. How important are basic audio editing/import features
7. How important are video import features with SMPTE sync,
8. What 3 features would you most like to see added to Notion (populate a dropdown with several options from the Feature Request list)
9. Are there any issues or bugs in notion that you'd like to see fixed, if so what are they (free form)
10. Which 3 Notion features do you use the least (list out the major points in questions 1-8)

And allow for some free form comments/verbatems.

I think something like that could be helpful, as it's easy to let internal priorities obscure what the user base wants, and surveys are a great way of finding out if you're on the right track or not.
Funkybot

Postby jim » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:24 pm

thanks
jim

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:34 am

Funkybot wrote:1. How important are standard notation/scoring features to you?

Being able to do music notation and VSTi virtual instruments with NOTION is very important to me, and it works, so I like it a lot!

Funkybot wrote:2. How important is printing scores to you?

Printing scores on paper is totally 20th century, as well as generally being a waste of time, ink, and paper. I like PDF output but only when I need to do an example to explain something which should be obvious. We need to save the trees, because birds and squirrels live in them, and I like birds and squirrels, except that squirrels nibble on my figs and nuts, which is annoying . . .

Funkybot wrote:3. How important are live performance features?

I think the idea of performing songs in concerts is intriguing, and I might do it someday but mostly because it is a great way to meet women, which is one of the reasons I taught myself how to play lead guitar and to whammy, because women like whammying a lot!

Funkybot wrote:4. How important is third party sound library support?

It is very important for NOTION to support VSTi virtual instruments, which NOTION does, so I like it a lot!

Funkybot wrote:5. How important are custom rules?

What are custom rules? This is how important custom rules are to me, which basically puts custom rules in the same general category as squirrels, where I think it is important to support them, but when they nibble on my figs and nuts, I get very annoyed . . .

Funkybot wrote:6. How important are basic audio editing/import features?

Pretty much the same as squirrels, because I do all the detailed stuff in Digital Performer (MOTU) or Logic Pro (Apple) . . .

Funkybot wrote:7. How important are video import features with SMPTE sync?

When I need to do video stuff, I use Digital Performer (MOTU), Final Cut Studio X (Apple), and Logic Pro (Apple), so I only need NOTION to do what it does, since I ReWire it to the video editing applications . . .

Funkybot wrote:8. What 3 features would you most like to see added to Notion (populate a dropdown with several options from the Feature Request list)

(8.1) I would like to be able to select a DISCO or Pop drumkit rhythm pattern from a dropdown list and have it copied starting at the current cursor position for the selected drumkit staves. Having some of Daniel Erlandsson's Melodic Death Metal drumkit rhythm patterns would be a bonus . . .

(8.2) Including an autographed Angela Gossow poster in the retail box would be super!

[SOURCE: Angela Gossow (MySpace) ~ Photos ]

(8.3) I would like Notion Music to have a NOTION Composer Store and a NOTION Composer Program, but I can create one myself, since I know how to do it . . .

Funkybot wrote:9. Are there any issues or bugs in notion that you'd like to see fixed, if so what are they (free form)

Everything works very nicely on the Mac, but having a 64-bit version that does ReWire 2 will be super!

Funkybot wrote:10. Which 3 Notion features do you use the least (list out the major points in questions 1-8)

In the grand scheme of everything at the dawn of the early-21st century, (2), (3), (5), (6), and (7) are useless, but (1) and (4) are great, and if there were an autographed Angela Gossow poster in the retail box, then I would look at it a lot when I practice whammying . . .

NOTION does this using music notation; controls the VSTi virtual instruments; and sends the generated audio via ReWire to Digital Performer on the Mac, where I add the Whammy Stratocaster and lead vocal, which is exactly what I need it to do, which is fabulous . . .

"Feel Me" (The Surf Whammys!) -- MP3 (7.9MB, 301-kbps [VBR], approximately 3 minutes and 17 seconds)

Fabulous! :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby JohnF » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:52 am

I can't wait for N4! Please take my money.
JohnF

Postby elerouxx » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm already clicking on the refresh button on the browser every 5 minutes... ;)
elerouxx

Previous

Return to NOTION