Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Random Selection of Things We've Been Working On

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Random Selection of Things We've Been Working On

Postby Rubens » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:06 pm

About the cross writing and harmonics sign, I just want to point that a lot of composers will not think to move to Notion because of limitations like that... They need the "perfect" sheet paper to deliver to orchestras and contests etc.
I do love Notion and dream about the day I will leave my Finale and Sibelius to rest aside.

Anyway thank you for the great job of about we expect it will be Notion 4.
Rubens

Postby deanesque » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Will it record MIDI controller #64 sustain pedal?
deanesque

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:07 am

deanesque wrote:Will it record MIDI controller #64 sustain pedal?

Unfortunately this will also have to be something we shoot for in an update......
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jim » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:25 pm

fabiolcati wrote:Jim is the only guy that writes longer posts than surfwammy

Really!!!

I don't even come close.... :D
jim

Postby deanesque » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:14 am

Admin wrote:

Unfortunately this will also have to be something we shoot for in an update......

That is a fundamental MIDI function. It has been broken for years. Why do you think it it not important?
deanesque

Postby Funkybot » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 pm

deanesque wrote:
Admin wrote:

That is a fundamental MIDI function. It has been broken for years. Why do you think it it not important?

Agreed! This should have taken priority over most of the items on the list.
Funkybot

Postby pcartwright » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Nonsense. Would the feature be useful? Yes. Is it critical? No.

Pedal markings can be added after the fact and there are times where pedal markings may not be wanted. I think cross staff notation is more important for proper harp and piano notation than the ability to record pedal markings.

It is a matter of opinion.
pcartwright

Postby thorrild » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm

pcartwright wrote:Nonsense. Would the feature be useful? Yes. Is it critical? No.

Pedal markings can be added after the fact and there are times where pedal markings may not be wanted. I think cross staff notation is more important for proper harp and piano notation than the ability to record pedal markings.

+1!!!
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby deanesque » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:38 pm

pcartwright wrote:Nonsense. Would the feature be useful? Yes. Is it critical? No.

If you want to play a piano part it cannot be properly done by adding markings later. That is absurd. Perhaps you think that being able to properly play a part on the most important composing instrument of all time is not an important function for a composing app. Now that is nonsense. Apparently Notion agrees with you. An upgrade would be worthless to me. I'll be staying with Sibelius.
deanesque

Postby pcartwright » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:21 pm

deanesque wrote:If you want to play a piano part it cannot be properly done by adding markings later. That is absurd.

Why not? Are you suggesting that you intend to play the piano part into Notion directly, have it display your score perfectly without any edits or changes, and be done with it?

Notion is an excellent composing application, but you still have to make revisions and edits. That means that at this point you will need to manually add pedal markings. Is it really that daunting on your composing workflow?

Perhaps you think that being able to properly play a part on the most important composing instrument of all time is not an important function for a composing app. Now that is nonsense.

Of course not. Users can still compose for piano in Notion without being able to record a pedal. I still use the piano with Notion. Furthermore, the feature you are describing is recording a pedal. Recording is a tool aligned more for production than composition.

Apparently Notion agrees with you. An upgrade would be worthless to me. I'll be staying with Sibelius.

I can't speak for Notion, but I think the admin's reply sounds like it's still on the to do list but other priorities come first. Look at the list of stuff being adjusted and revised. One item is correcting pitch playback in Notion's own sound samples. Some of the bugs being correct impact the ability to use the program at all. You can still use the program without being able to record a pedal, even if you don't like it or won't admit it.

I've had moments where I was frustrated at the lack of development (and if rewire doesn't work properly in version 4 I will most definitely go on a rant), but I am disappointed every time I try to go back to Finale or Sibelius. The draw of more professional notation lures me, but the lack of production tools in Finale and the difficulty of use in Sibelius always turns me back to Notion (I absolutely hate the way Sibelius is organized). I have to say, I think Notion is doing something right, and I hope that as the bugs get fixed that they can focus on workflow optimization and better notation, but that is up to Notion to address.

Now go ahead, be angry, write something condescending to me or Notion, etc. I hope it makes you feel better.
pcartwright

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION