Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Ship Date

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 Ship Date

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:55 am

wcreed51 wrote:I think if Notion had a larger user base, third party developers would get in the game, as Johnathan Loving has done with Sibelius sound sets.

pcartwright wrote:I wouldn't mind jumping deeper into rule development for fun and profit, but I need the means to expand the capability of other libraries. Oh, and I need other libraries for which to develop, but that's another issue.

Seriously though, I would write rules (as best I can) for Wivi and Synful (I own Wivi and will soon own Synful) if given the opportunity. Not to mention expanding my JABB rules and writing rules for Garritan's World Instruments.

This makes excellent sense to me on many levels, and I like the idea of having a NOTION Developer Program and a NOTION Store where customers can purchase add-ons and other third party products for enhancing NOTION, where in particular I like the idea of a NOTION Store because it avoids developers needing to mess with accounting and product delivery stuff . . .

Creating a NOTION Developer Program and a NOTION Store for third-party add-ons and enhancements is a lot of work, but over the long run I think it can be a very smart thing for Notion Music to do . . .

Propellerhead Software did this recently, where they created a new addition to their Reason platform, which is called 'Rack Extensions", and it has spawned a new industry which is coming along nicely for everyone . . .

[NOTE: About two months ago (circa August 2012), there were perhaps 10 rack extensions, and three of them were done by Propellerhead Software, but now (mid-October 2012) there are over 40 rack extensions. Propellerhead Software handles all the accounting and delivery stuff, and they also do detailed code verification and quality assurance, all of which makes it easier for third-party developers to focus on creating fascinating enhancements for Reason . . . ]

Rack Extensions (Propellerhead Shop)

On the other hand, my current thinking is that there are strategies one can use within the existing framework for NOTION 3 that make it possible to create add-on products and enhancements, hence I think this probably will be the case with NOTION 4, although at present all I can do is guess . . .

From a practical perspective, I think the biggest problem is the way people will find stuff, as contrasted to there not being any stuff, per se . . .

And in this respect, something as simple as a page on the Notion Music website that has links to third-party add-ons and enhancements with a brief description for each product can be a nice solution, which actually can be done here in the Notion Music FORUM, as well . . .

The advantage of having an official store that handles all the accounting and product delivery stuff is that it makes it vastly easier for developers to focus on developing new products rather than on the accounting and delivery aspects, and it also makes it possible for Notion Music to do a bit of third-party product quality control, where for reference I like the Apple iTunes Store strategy for songs, where Apple keeps approximately 30 percent for its work and if you use CD Baby for digital distribution--which is the easy way to get songs into the Apple ITunes Store--then CD Baby keeps 9 percent, so for a song that costs 99 cents (US), you get approximately 60 cents (US), which in the grand scheme of everything is fair and reasonable, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)

P. S. Once I get a bit of stick time with NOTION 4, I probably will create a new topic about this stuff, since I think it warrants a separate topic, really . . .

Really!
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby posssu » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Is there any chance for midi roll? Or maybe access to all midi data through Sequencer Overlay?

Is there also maybe LASS integration? :)
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby bogdan1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:02 pm

Lass...hmm that would make me dream with eyes wide open!!
It would definitely be something great but I have doubts ...and I think that they already mentioned that no additional libraries support... yet...
bogdan1

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Yes, they mentioned that :)
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby deanesque » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Funkybot wrote:
deanesque wrote:Will you be able to record MIDI c.c. #64 (sustain pedal)?

God, how annoying is this! Did it ever work? I can't imagine them not having fixed this in version 4. If not, I'd be seriously disappointed.

Why won't they answer this question?
deanesque

Postby TOSCANINI » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:39 am

posssu wrote:Is there any chance for midi roll? Or maybe access to all midi data through Sequencer Overlay?

I hope ! I can admit no new libraries, but Notion 4 must have this !!!
TOSCANINI

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:56 am

For those that didn't see this on FB...
Attachments
620703_10151219916514784_1253447915_o.jpg
620703_10151219916514784_1253447915_o.jpg (201.51 KiB) Viewed 282756 times
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby tomr » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 am

When will the new version and the download option appear in your online store?
tomr

Postby thorrild » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Admin wrote:It's official folks....

October 31st release date for Notion version 4! :D
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:45 pm

thorrild wrote:
Admin wrote:It's official folks....

October 31st release date for Notion version 4! :D

Just an FYI for all you anxious users....the new site and store (as well as the availability of the new products) will go live around 7 AM on 10/31 EST.

:D
Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION