Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 Ship Date

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 Ship Date

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:29 pm

I think if Notion had a larger user base, third party developers would get in the game, as Johnathan Loving has done with Sibelius sound sets.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:26 pm

I wouldn't mind jumping deeper into rule development for fun and profit, but I need the means to expand the capability of other libraries. Oh, and I need other libraries for which to develop, but that's another issue.

Seriously though, I would write rules (as best I can) for Wivi and Synful (I own Wivi and will soon own Synful) if given the opportunity. Not to mention expanding my JABB rules and writing rules for Garritan's World Instruments.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:31 pm

You should write to the various developers and tell them if they provide you with their libraries (for free) you'll help increase there sales to all the Notions users!
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby TOSCANINI » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:09 pm

mac jones wrote:Perhaps if there's enough interest Notion would be tempted offer custom rules as paid

I hope so...i don't want to have to use Sibelius with Jonathan Loving soundset's (great work indeed !) again for a part of my works... i don't want to have to use Cubase for better midi control and add multiple wave files... i don't want to use rewire (to complicated for me)... i want to use only Notion to work on my music from A to Z...

I want Notion people take my money, a large amount of my money, i don't care... to let me work with Notion only !
TOSCANINI

Postby TOSCANINI » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm

And i don't want to have to make my own custom rules...

And a true update (wav recording, midi improving) for notion app not in 2013 !!!

And that's it !!!!!
TOSCANINI

Re: No import video yet??

Postby posssu » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 pm

kowloon12 wrote:
pcartwright wrote:If rewire works without bugs then you should be able to use Notion with a video compatible DAW to do video scoring. I've been waiting a long time for Notion to properly sync with Reaper via rewire for this very reason. I hope the adjustments/enhancements to rewire will allow this.

It's maybe an acceptable compromise but certainly not a complete solution.. I spent lot of time trying to sync notion (v3) and reaper via rewire and other means, with also some esoteric solutions like a vst plugin that generates smpte time codes from notion, routed via a virtual audio cable to reaper which would have to synchronize to it.. obviously it was not working well..
remember that what I'm trying to accomplish is to play a video in sync with notion's playback, but it should be possible to use the live performance playback while the video goes on, to record a performance like a conductor play its orchestra while sees the scenes on the screen.. I don't think anything external could provide something like this.. God I'm so frustrated, I want so much to use this software for my scores, its live performance is something I've long waited for.. but how can I if I'm blind while playing? :/

I'm so with you on this. I score film music for living and would LOVE to work with Notion on notated stuff, but still no video window? I'm really frustrated, I just refuse to believe it's technically so difficult to add a synced video player... even if simple, at least it would play in sync. I just tried (again) to set up Notion with Ableton Live with Rewire, just to realize it doesn't work both ways (if Live is master, moving cursor in slave doesn't move it in master program - why would they implement it only half way like this?)
Last edited by posssu on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby notionlive » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Dear Forum,

This is Josh, at Notion Music.

I want to take this time to respond to this string in regards to some major enhancements to .xml rules. I have just placed the updated rule sets into Notion 4 that allow users of Vienna Special Editions 1-4 to work as Presets. We have also implemented some new functionality for Notion Rules documents to be based on single instruments and instrument channels when working inside of mixing hosts such as Vienna Ensemble and Kontakt Multis, or even EastWest when working in a multi-channel configuration.

As many of you know, Rules documents used to work using a set plugin id which allowed users to control entire plugins, but not instruments. We now have the ability to insert rules based on the instrument staff that you are using. This sets up individual controls for each instrument when dealing with the factory set Key-switches for most of the major VST providers that are available, or the ability to set up your own presets for Key-switches when using other VST's that allow you that type of control.

These new instrument based rules allow you to set up individual instrument control on a per staff basis. You assign the set of rules to a staff and those rules control the Instrument or MIDI Channel on the staff that the rules have been assigned to.

Here is a step by step description of what has to be done to gain the access to the Rule Sets you are working with.

1. Create a Notion Score.
2. Name it and Save it to a New Folder on your Computer
3. Inside the New Folder you have created, create a separate folder called: Rules
-This is an important step because Notion files look for the Rules that you will be using in that specific Rules Folder
4. Go to: http://www.notionmusic.com/support/downloads.html
5. Click the Additional Tab and Download the NOTION3 Custom Rules Playback Documentation
6. Save these documents in the Rules Folder you created earlier

Now, open the documents in the Rules Playback Documentation. You will need some sort of Text Editor to accomplish anything in this document. I find the color coding of TextWrangler to be organized and efficient.

At the top of the Custom Rules text file, you will notice a bracketed string that displays <plugin ID>.

GroupID for Inst.png
GroupID for Inst.png (17.83 KiB) Viewed 207636 times

Change the string <plugin ID="############"> to <group id="xxxx">. This four letter string is associated with the name of the Rule set through the group ID set by the user and placed in the actual score.

group id.png
group id.png (23.45 KiB) Viewed 207636 times

Next, in the score you will need to insert the string on the staff that you want to use the set of rules.

Use Rules.png
Use Rules.png (20.25 KiB) Viewed 207636 times

1. Press Shift + Y
2. Your cursor will now display the "Use Rules" icon.
3. Place the Use Rules icon on the staff/instrument you are wanting to use.
4. Type in the matching four letter string that corresponds to the <group id="xxxx"> for the rule set you want to use.

Here are some Tips on usage:

This functionality works like the instrument change dialogue when you press Shift + I and change an instrument on a staff. Keep your Group Rules together with your Instrument changes. This makes for easy insertion through Copy/Paste and helps keep track of the instruments/staffs/channels you are wanting to control them throughout the score. In the examples above, the Rule Name corresponds to the <group id="vlns">. I have placed the rule on the Vienna Ensemble Staff and I will use the Rules with the group id [vlns] to control the Vienna Instrument, Orchestral Violins.

It is important to keep your rules files organized by name. You will now have multiple sets of rules that you can use to control each instrument separately.

Enjoy.

Josh
notionlive

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:04 pm

This is great news, and the information is VERY much appriciated.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:49 pm

notionlive wrote:Dear Forum,

This is Josh, at Notion Music.

I want to take this time to respond to this string in regards to some major enhancements to .xml rules. [...]

These new instrument based rules allow you to set up individual instrument control on a per staff basis. You assign the set of rules to a staff and those rules control the Instrument or MIDI Channel on the staff that the rules have been assigned to.

you_rock_baby-21847.jpg
you_rock_baby-21847.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 207744 times
pcartwright

Postby labou » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:26 pm

That's a very good improvement indeed... any other one worth mentioning? Like Text strings rules to allow voice base library support :)
labou

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION