Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

new user question

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

new user question

Postby laurenceofarabia » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:44 pm

I don't know how to get Notion 3 to recognize my akai mpk mini input device.

i've used file/preferences to set the midi input device to akai mpk.

when i press keys' no sound...

can anyone assist with this newbie question?

thanks,

larry
laurenceofarabia

Re: new user question

Postby kvapka » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:08 pm

click on staff of some instrument in score edit and you go. If you have cello, piano and flute staff in your score for example, and click on flute, you get the flute sound.
kvapka

Postby laurenceofarabia » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:15 pm

Hello,

Thank you so much for trying to help me.

i am still having difficulty.

i am able to input notes from my computer keyboard and here the sound when i do that.

the midi keyboard (akai mpk mini) does not sound, even when i click on the score (flute) in edit mode.

thank you very much for helping me with this.

do you have additional suggestion?

with best,
larry
laurenceofarabia

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:25 pm

laurenceofarabia wrote:I don't know how to get Notion 3 to recognize my akai mpk mini input device.

i've used file/preferences to set the midi input device to akai mpk.

when i press keys' no sound...

can anyone assist with this newbie question?

thanks,

larry

With the caveat that it would be difficult to find anyone who knows less about MIDI than I do at present, there appears to be a problem with the AKAI MPX Mini MIDI device, where the relevant information is found at the following link to the AKAI Professional FORUM:

[NOTE: This link is the first page of search results on "AKAI MPK Mini" at the AKAI Professional FORUM, and you can read the various topics where users are trying to get technical support, mostly with not a lot of success . . . ]

AKAI MPK Mini (AKAI Professional FORUM)

I read most of the topics on the first five or so pages of search results, and users report problems on both Mac OS X and Windows machines, and in some instances the problems were corrected by using a different USB cable than the one which comes with the AKAI MPK Mini, but this did not solve all the reported problems. From my perspective, the most troubling aspect is that at least a few users report problems on Apple computers (Mac OS X) . . .

It is troubling that users have problems on Windows computers, but this is not so unusual when folks are not computer geeks, and stuff should and usually does work on Windows computers, but when a music product does not work on a Mac, this is huge clue that it is badly designed, especially if the technical support folks for the product cannot provide a bit of help when something does not appear to be working . . .

I did a quick check on the available MIDI controllers at Musician's Friend in this category, and I like these two units, both of which have LED displays (nothing elaborate, but at least something visual). These two units also have 5-pin MIDI Out ports in addition to the USB ports, and this tends strongly to suggest a higher level of design, where the advantage of the 5-pin MIDI Out port is that you can connect it to a MIDI interface like a MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, and these units also have external power supplies, hence are not dependent upon having a USB port on the computer which has sufficient power to act as a power supply, which also is a strong clue to the higher level of design with respect to electronics, MIDI specifications, and so forth:

[NOTE: I like this Alesis unit based on my experience with an Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer, and the thumbwheels are in logical location . . . ]

ALESIS QX25 25-Key Advanced MIDI Keyboard Controller

[NOTE: This is the more advanced of the two units, and I am intrigued by the possibility of using it with a guitar strap, regardless of whether it actually works, since for doing music videos I can pretend to be playing it. I think that it works, but without actually examining either of the units, all I can do is guess, and as noted (see below) I have had no problems with Alesis and Behringer products over the years. The Behringer unit costs approximately $60 (US) more than the Alesis unit, but it looks tighter, and it has more inputs and outputs, plus the guitar strap feature is nice . . . ]

Behringer U-CONTROL UMA25S USB MIDI Controller

As noted, I have several Alesis and Behringer products, and I consider them to be well designed, quality products . . .

The Behringer products I have are external signal processors (PowerPlay XL 4-Channel Headphones Distribution Amplifier, UltraCurve PRO Mastering Processor, Tube Composer, and Bass V-Amp PRO Virtual Amplification Processor), and the Alesis products I have are a combination of signal processors (Alesis MidiVerb 4 and Alesis 3632 Dual Channel Compressor/Limiter/Gate) and an Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer (a personal favorite) . . .

Neither the Alesis nor the Behringer MIDI keyboard controllers (see above) are MIDI pass-through devices, but the Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer has MIDI In/Out and supports what I am calling "MIDI pass-through", but (a) the Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer is no longer available and (b) it was a bit more expensive, since it is a full-featured keyboard synthesizer, but so what . . .

Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer

So what!

This is what comes to mind at the moment, and perhaps some of the information will be helpful in providing a solution . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby laurenceofarabia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:07 pm

hey thanks for the reply.

i have returned the akai mpk mini and got the cost refunded...

i am surprised that a unit could be sold with such problems.

thanks again!

larry
laurenceofarabia

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:59 pm

laurenceofarabia wrote:hey thanks for the reply.

i have returned the akai mpk mini and got the cost refunded...

i am surprised that a unit could be sold with such problems.

thanks again!

larry

Great!

I use the Alesis ION as a MIDI keyboard every once in a while, but even though it has fewer keys than the KORG Triton Music Workstation (88-Keys) here in the sound isolation studio, it is too big to fit in the available space on the workbench next to the computer display, keyboard, and mouse, so I am pondering the idea of getting one of the smaller MIDI keyboard controllers I listed in my previous post . . .

Based on what I read in reviews of the two MIDI keyboard controllers at the Musician's Friend website, the keys on the Behringer unit have a shorter travel distance (perhaps only 1/4"), but this is fine with me. I recall that one of the reviews said that you can adjust the acceleration or something to make the shorter travel distance easier to use, but for what I do it is not so important . . .

I think the Alesis keyboard probably is more like the keyboard on the Alesis ION Analog Modeling Synthesizer, hence has a longer vertical travel vector for velocity stuff, but there are merits to having crisp, short velocity travel keys, and as noted I like the guitar strap option of the Behringer mini MIDI keyboard controller . . .

Being able to return the AKAI unit and to get a refund is excellent, and you can use the money to get something that works, which always is the best strategy . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION