Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Correct staff names for multitimbral VSTis

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Correct staff names for multitimbral VSTis

Postby dedersen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm trying to setup a small sketch template with a few external sounds from Kontakt (Cinematic Strings and Albion). However, I find Notion's way of handling multitimbral VSTi's a bit confusing. I've followed the manual and created a single staff for Kontakt and then added additional "Basic Staff" staffs for the additional instruments housed in the single Kontakt instance. I've then used Shift-I to add an instrument change to each staff to assign the proper MIDI channel to each.

So far so good, everything works, except the staff names revert to the name of the first track created! And I can't seem to change that. So for strings, e.g., everything is now labelled "Violins I" and I can't seem to find a way to rename the other tracks. I'm assuming that this is possible and that I'm just too dimwitted to figure it out? :)
dedersen

Re: Correct staff names for multitimbral VSTis

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:52 pm

You should be able to change the name in the staff properties...

There's a video tutorial on this subject that's helpful to watch, on the main site/support/totorials
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby dedersen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:38 pm

I've tried that and had actually already set the staff names as I wanted them under "Staff Settings", but they revert to the name of the first track created when I use the "Instrument Change" to set the MIDI channel of the other tracks, as outlined in the manual. They retain this name no matter what I change in "Staff Settings".I figure it occurs because the staff is automatically updated to reflect the instrument change, which would be fine for, e.g., using Notion's internal sounds. In the case of multitimbral VSTi's it's not quite as helpful, obviously.
dedersen

Postby dedersen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:29 pm

Yes! That did it, thanks a lot. No clue why I didn't try that out. :)
dedersen

Return to NOTION