Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Finale+GPO4 to Notion+GPO4?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Finale+GPO4 to Notion+GPO4?

Postby mlamers » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi,

I downloaded the latest demo version of Notion for Mac OS X. Coming from Finale 2011 I exported my score to Music XML and imported into Notion. So far so good. I would like to use my GPO4 instruments and find it difficult to set this up.

According to the manual (1.15) I can choose GPO as the sound source. If I do so for Violins I, I can select Strings > Violins I.
Now what if I want parts of the Violins I staff to be played 'normal', 'tremolo', 'pizzicato' or 'spiccato'. In Finale I could assign them with the Aria Player like Violins 1 KS, Violins 1 Tremolo, Violins 1 Pizzicato or Violins 1 Short Bows KS AG. How do I accomplish the same in Notion? And how can I set the agression level (CC16) for spiccato to 100% for example?

Another way would be to choose VST Instruments > Aria Player and assign e.g. 4 channels to the 4 versions of Violins 1. How then would I set up the score? Add an instance of the Aria Player to each instrument and use the same setup for all strings with 4 channels? And how can I switch in my staff from one channel to the other?
Or do I add an instance of the Aria Player and fill up the 16 channels until all instruments are added?

And how do the custom GPO Rules fit in that I found in the forum?

best regards,
Marcel Lamers
mlamers

Re: Finale+GPO4 to Notion+GPO4?

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:58 pm

The articulations are seleted base on your notation. You shouldn't have to fiddle around selecting anything in Aria.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby mlamers » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:15 am

That would be great. So how would I enter a part that is spiccato with the aggression set to 100% (the standard value of Violins 1 Short Bows KS AG for aggression is set to 0%)?

Thx,
Marcel
mlamers

Postby elerouxx » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:34 am

In Notion, all you have to do is enter the articulation and it will play the right sounds. If you want to tweak or create your own presets for instruments (i.e. multichannel samples) and how Notion interprets and plays, you can manipulate a XML file with all the settings (custom rules). The custom rules file tells Notion, for instance, that if a note is marked as spiccato, and the instrument is a violin, then it has to activate some keyswitch or switch to a channel to play that note, and you can even change send a midi command to change aggress (cc16) to some value.

pcartwright has build some very nice rules that work great with gpo4, you can find them in the Custom Rules forum.

Come... come to the light... ;)
elerouxx

Postby mlamers » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:35 am

Yes I installed the custom Rules GPO file.

And I found that if I do cmd-I on a GPO violins I staff that I can see which instruments are added, like Violins 1 sus+short at channel 1 up to Violins 1 KS at channel 6.

It seems 'all' I have to do is add Violins 1 Short Bows KS AG to channel 7 and add the custom rule

<rule>
<!-- spiccato-->
<if technique="spic" />
<if instrument-id = "13057"/> <!-- Violins I-->
<channel-change channel="7"/>
</rule>

Now all I need to know is how to let the staff know that the technique spiccato has started. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

regards,
Marcel
mlamers

Postby elerouxx » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:54 am

I suggest you put the spiccato symbol on the notes ;)
elerouxx

Postby mlamers » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:40 am

If you mean spiccato symbol as the same symbol for staccato, it won't play the channel 7. And how would I differentiate between staccato and spiccato? Or do you mean something else with spiccato symbol?
The custom rules pdf shows spiccato as a technique not an articulation.

regards,
Marcel

PS So far the solution I found is to add an Aria Player on a new staff with Violins 1 Short Bows KS AG and do a change instrument if I want spiccato to be played
mlamers

Postby kissygirl » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:49 am

I'm not a Finale user, so I'm wee bit sketchy on this. But basically, I know you need to add ARIA to the list of available sound sources, and use the instrument definition file for GPO. The previous versions of GPO used Native Instrument's Kontakt Player - that's what you're seeing in Finale when you use the basic Garritan set in Finale, right? This current version of GPO uses the ARIA Player - So,-- if you haven't added new things to Finale before, hopefully you can look the specific info up in the manual. My sketchy reply here should be in the right direction at least!
kissygirl

Postby mlamers » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:34 am

Um, nope I see the Aria Player in Finale and am not sure if your advise is for Finale or Notion. I don't need help for setting things up in Finale. A bug with layers and expressions and GPO4 in Finale is the reason I'm looking at Notion right now.

regards,
Marcel
mlamers

Postby elerouxx » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Marcel, it has been quite a time I last messed with rules, but I have some tips you can explore.

In the custom rules, you can check up 'techniques' and 'articulation' for the notes, which are different things.

TECHNIQUES are usually written in text. For instance 'pizz.' or 'arco'. There's a 'spiccato' technique among them. Just hit the apostrophe and type 'spic' and the markings appear for you to put it anywhere.
Read Chapter 12 of the manual and you're done.

You can even add custom techniques (i think, X01... to X10) which may be hidden marks, just to tell the custom rules you are playing 'in x01 mode'.

You can test 'techniques' in the custom rules, as you did in your script above.

AND there's ARTICULATION, which can be tested separatedly. ( <if articulation = "staccato" > etc)
And among the different articulations, there is STACCATISIMO, which is actually the same notation used for spiccato in bowed strings. You can find 'staccatisimo' on the palette, it's the shape of a small wedge and not a dot , as staccato.

Staccatissimo and Spiccato are synonyms when it comes to violin and strings.

So, you either put 'staccatissimo' marks on each note and check for this using 'if articulation', or you type (apostrophe)spic and so you can put a 'spiccato' text marking that works, before the passage you want to play, and check for it using 'if technique...'.
elerouxx

Next

Return to NOTION