Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

The most advanced music writing tool ever

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

The most advanced music writing tool ever

Postby elerouxx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Notion3 + graphic pen + StrokesPlus = the ultimate music writing tool.

I've been using some gestures applications to make easier using Notion with my TabletPC or a Wacom graphic pen, so I could put things directly on screen.

But then I found this new gestures application, StrokesPlus (http://www.strokesplus.com) which is so powerful that turned Notion3 into the first effective music writing tool, in which you can write the music by drawing notes, dynamics, articulation and all other symbols directly in place using a pen!

It's impressive to see it working on an old tabletPC, but it's also awesome to write music with any graphic pen like the Wacom Bamboo.

All of this thanks to Rob, the author of StrokesPlus, a guy with amazing skills and dedication. He solved a couple issues in minutes and quickly implemented instructions that allowed me to select notes by drawing a box around them and many other useful features of this interface.

See it in action here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAikQD-Jyg&feature=youtu.be

Emilio

Afterthoughts: is a shame that tabletPCs didn't stay popular. They would be perfect computers for artists, but then artists never have money, so the idea was redirected to business. Now that they are outdated to favor pads, you can find some of them being sold in lots on ebay. I got mine for $200. No touch and a little heavy if compared to an iPad of course, but it has a 128-level pressure sensitive pen from wacom and a real cpu.
elerouxx

Re: The most advanced music writing tool ever

Postby elerouxx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:20 pm

I recommend fullscreen. Sorry the video isn't very well edited, I'm too busy writing music now... :P
elerouxx

Postby tubatimberinger » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:26 pm

Wow, that bodes well for the future of Notion should they chose to pursue this, which I'm sure they will. Very impressive.
tubatimberinger

Postby Rubens » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:13 pm

It seems fantastic! But they don't have it for mac...
Rubens

Postby elerouxx » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:59 pm

On my desktop computer I keep the left hand on the keyboard and the right hand on the mouse. Notion is very productive in my opinion, even while it doesn't allow keyboard note entry (which I particularly don't like very much).

But I really love to write music on paper. The interface of my dreams is the closer we can get to that.
elerouxx

Postby cbandla » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:26 am

Will you be making your script available to the community at large?
cbandla

Postby elerouxx » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:26 pm

of course! I'm almost done.

I fine-tuned the gestures so now they work almost flawlessly, and created some more like clefs and time markings.
Soon I'll post the scripts, and I think there's an easier way to distribute the whole configuration.

Unfortunately, StrokesPlus is windows only for the time being. If you have a Pc you can start downloading the app right away. If you want the configuration as-is, PM me. (But I take no responsability if your computer explodes! =) )
elerouxx

Postby Cesare » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:48 am

This is truly spectacular! Is it hard to set up?
Cesare

Postby elerouxx » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:45 pm

not at all, just install the app from http://www.strokesplus.com

I have configured it and coded all the scripts I need so far. I intend to add some more.
It works pretty well already, but I can't upload the configuration file here (it's a .xml file which is not allowed as attachment)

For the time being, feel free to mail me at emilio[at]moscafilms.com.br, and I'll send you the configuration file so you can put it into StrokesPlus installation folder. All gestures, scripts and settings are inside this file.
elerouxx

Return to NOTION