Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Ircam Solo Instruments

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Ircam Solo Instruments

Postby Zblogny » Wed May 09, 2012 11:34 am

Hello,

I am planning to buy IRCAM Solo Instruments.
I would like to read advices from users of this soundbank with Notion3.

Thanks for your feedback !
Zblogny

Re: Ircam Solo Instruments

Postby wcreed51 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:28 pm

If you google it, you'll find various comments and reviews...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby chcd » Thu May 10, 2012 1:11 pm

That was not his question.
chcd

Postby pcartwright » Thu May 10, 2012 9:21 pm

If it's a question of how the program responds within Notion... well, I don't really know how anyone can answer the question in the OP. Anything other than Miroslav, GPO, EWQLSO, or VSL would work as a VSTi (that is, skip the rules), so it would work as well as any other unsupported VSTi in Notion.

In terms of how the library sounds, Bill's response is as good as any. Google the library, read reviews, visit the library's home page, get a demo if possible, etc.
pcartwright

Postby chcd » Fri May 11, 2012 5:05 am

As there is simply no way to figure out the plug-in ID (at least on a Mac) there is now way to write custom rules for the IRCAM library for the time being!

Christoph
chcd

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri May 11, 2012 10:18 am

Regarding the plug-in ID for IRCAM Solo Instruments, I did a bit of web searching, where the search phrase "ircam solo instruments, plug-in ID" led to the following information in a post to this FORUM:

Code: Select all
<plugin id="1431718231"> <!-- Enter PluginID here or use <midi-out id="X"> where X = A,B,C or D for MIDI out port rules-->

<!-- Plugin ID's Menu -->
<!-- Vienna Instruments: 1448299603 -->
<!-- Vienna Ensemble: 1448299589 -->
<!-- Vienna Ensemble Pro: 1987274096 -->
<!-- PLAY: 1886151033 -->
<!-- ARIA: 1195463233 -->
<!-- Miroslav Philharmonik PC : 1346908464-->
<!-- Miroslav Philharmonik Mac : 808536144-->
<!-- IRCAM Solo Instruments : 1431718231-->

[SOURCE: New rules file problems (Notion Music FORUM) ]

This post is from June 2010, and I have no idea regarding whether the IRCAM Solo Instruments plug-in ID continues to be valid, but it might be . . .

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri May 11, 2012 11:09 am

On a curiously related note, UVI has a working relationship with MOTU, which in turn maps to MachFive 3, which is the new MOTU synthesizer or whatever one wants to call it, and as best as I can determine UVI IRCAM Solo Instruments and the other UVI sound sample products are compatible with MachFive 3, which is relevant, because MachFive 3 provides scripting capabilities . . .

MachFive 3 (MOTU)

IRCAM Solo Instruments (UVI)

MOTU and UVI Collaboration (UVI)

I have no idea at present whether the new MachFive 3 scripting capabilities work with UVI IRCAM Solo Instruments, but if MachFive 3 works in a way similar to SampleTank (which is the engine for all the IK Multimedia VSTi virtual instruments), then one can create custom instances for specific instruments, which is one way to do something similar to custom rules and all that stuff, except that it is done via a visual interface rather than in a low-level scripting language . . .

[NOTE: The strategy for custom instances of instrumens is that you start with a parent or child preset or sound sample and then modify it, followed by saving it as a user-defined preset, which you then can load as a specific instrument . . . ]

As time allows, I get a bit more information on VST/VSTi and MIDI, but all that stuff is so vastly complex that it borders on being simply mind-boggling, so the strategy I use here in the sound isolation studio is to find specific instruments that do one aspect of whatever I need to do, and then I use the instruments very specifically, where for example if I need a Stratocaster played through a Fender Twin amplifier and a vibrato effect pedal, then I create a staff in NOTION 3 specifically for a Stratocaster played through a Fender Twin amplifier and a vibrato pedal, which I then use when I need notes, chords, or phrases played in this specific articulation, style, tone, and so forth . . .

It is a simplistic way of providing a practical solution, and it tends to require a virtual festival of cloned NOTION 3 projects due to the current 32-bit application workspace limitation of approximately 25 "heavy" VSTI virtual instruments per NOTION 3 score (a.k.a., "project"), but I have a system for doing this, and it does not take a lot of time to do stuff this way . . .

Another advantage of creating songs this way, which specifically is focused on doing instrumentation in layers, is that what initially appear to be very simple notes, chords, and phrases interact to create elaborate notes, chords, and phrases that are not present in the original notes, chords, and phrases of the individual instruments, which is a Gestalt phenomenon, where the whole is more than the sum of its parts, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:

P. S. As part of the research for a reply to a different topic in this FORUM, I called MOTU Technical Support and verified that MachFive 3 works as a VST plug-in, which maps to MachFive 3 working with NOTION 3, and the new scripted instruments in MachFive 3 also work this way, since everything is done via the various MachFive 3 interfaces, including when MachFive 3 is functioning as a VST plug-in . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION