Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Rewire sound (Notion)

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Rewire sound (Notion)

Postby Acwel Folly » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:22 am

Hi all,

I use Cubase and Notion 3 with the rewire function.
Cubase is the master and Notion the slave.

I wonder if it is possible to hear the sound of in?

Because right now, I hear the sound of Cubase in Notion and inversely. But when I am in Notion, I do not hear what I do.

Anyone know how to do it please?

thank you
Acwel Folly

Re: Rewire sound (Notion)

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:21 am

Acwel Folly wrote:Hi all,

I use Cubase and Notion 3 with the rewire function.
Cubase is the master and Notion the slave.

I wonder if it is possible to hear the sound of in?

Because right now, I hear the sound of Cubase in Notion and inversely. But when I am in Notion, I do not hear what I do.

Anyone know how to do it please?

thank you

It sounds like you just need to set the outputs of the individual and Master tracks correctly, which is not difficult to do, really . . .

Really! :)

When you run NOTION 3 by itself--without Cubase or another ReWire host running--you need to set the outputs of the tracks in the NOTION 3 Mixer to send their audio to the NOTION 3 Master track, and the NOTION 3 Master track needs to be set to output to the default output . . .

Based on what you described, it matches what happens when you set the output of tracks to a channel pair but are not doing ReWire . . .

When you set the output for a track to a channel pair in the NOTION 3 Mixer, you only hear it when NOTION 3 is running as a ReWire slave and the ReWire host is monitoring and playing the ReWire channels . . .

So, if you set the output for the tracks in NOTION 3 to the default and have the Master track in NOTION 3 set to default, you will hear the audio . . .

I use ReWire on the Mac with NOTION 3 and Digital Performer 7.24, which works nicely, but when I switch to using NOTION 3 by itself, I have to reset the output for the tracks to the default to hear them . . .

The following screen capture of two tracks in the NOTION 3 Mixer shows the way the output looks when the tracks are configured for ReWire, where you will see the channel pairs at the bottom of the tracks . . .

Track Outputs Configured for ReWire (Ch 11-12, Ch 13-14)

But the following screen capture shows the two tracks when their outputs are configured for working with NOTION 3 only without doing any ReWire . . .

[NOTE: In standalone mode where only NOTION 3 is running, the individual tracks need to have their outputs set to the default value ("Master" in the drop-down list, but when selected shows as "Output"), and the Master track needs to have its output set to default value ("Default" in the drop-down list, but shown as "Output") . . . ]

Image Image
Track Outputs Configured to Hear Audio via NOTION 3 Master Track (Output)

Based on what you described, this is the most likely explanation, and you just need to set the output for the tracks correctly . . .

It is a bit of a hassle to change the track outputs from ReWire channels to the default output, but this is the way it works, so my strategy is to assign the channel pairs from left to right in the NOTION 3 Mixer, starting with the first two-digit channel pair (Ch 11-12) . . .

This way, I do not need to remember which track goes to which ReWire channel pair, and this makes it easier to change configurations, but another strategy is to have two copies for a NOTION 3 score--one where the tracks output to ReWire channels but another where the tracks output to the default channels. This works, but if I make a change to note in one, then it tends to defeat the purpose, so what I usually do is just configure the outputs to fit whatever I need to do . . .

Ideally, there would be a way to save ReWire configurations and to set all the tracks to the default values, which is not a difficult thing for a software engineer to do add as a feature in a new version of NOTION . . .

The same thing happens with Solo buttons, and it is just as much of a hassle, but from what I can determine none of the DAW applications has a way to save a set of Solo button settings, although Digital Performer 7.24 has a global Solo button that controls whether Soloing is heard, which is somewhat helpful but is not the same as being able to save Solo button settings . . .

Lots of FUN! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION