Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Volume Indicator Noise?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Volume Indicator Noise?

Postby Charlscozz » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:16 am

Has anybody experienced white spikes on the volume indicator? They are not audible in anyway. During playback they appear more frequently. Even when not playing I can see the "red zone LED" erratically flashing white. I'm using the ASIO4ALL driver as my native driver for my Roland soundcard is not compatible with Notion. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

- Charlie
Attachments
n3noise.jpg
n3noise.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
Charlscozz

Re: Volume Indicator Noise?

Postby Brian » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Charlie,

I have not seen this behavior in NOTION before. Could be an issue with your video card or processor. Can you give me some details about your machine?

Regards,

Brian
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby Charlscozz » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi Brian,

sorry for getting back to you so late.

Machine details as follows:

WinXP SP3
AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual
Core Processor 4000+
2.31 GHz, 1.75 GB Ram
Integrated ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics Card - running monitor 1
ASUS EAH5450 Graphics Card - running monitor 2

Observation to note:
I've noticed that the issue arises when I have two windows of Notion running at the same time. The noise stops completely when I pan one of the windows to the other monitor. The noise comes back when both windows are on the same monitor, regardless of which monitor. Obviously a graphics card issue as you suggest but I’m not sure how to proceed.

thanks,
Charlie
Charlscozz

Postby Brian » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have dual monitors running and I still cannot recreate the problem. Nonetheless, I'm sure it is there for you. The only one of your system resources that I noticed is a little on the low side is your RAM. Since RAM has come down so much in price recently, I'd recommend upgrading your system to 4 GB or RAM. This is the maximum amount of RAM that a 32 bit program, such as NOTION, will use. This is just a suggestion but may not resolve the issue. You might want to make sure your motherboard will support more RAM.

Another thing that I would look at is the processor. It has been my experience that when a processor starts to go, 3D rendering is one of the first symptoms that you notice. If this is a newer computer, this may not be the problem.

Most importantly is probably your video cards. Are you seeing the problem on each of your video cards or does it only happen on one of them? You may want to try to visit the manufacturer of your video card's web site and download and install the latest driver. Do this even if you are running the latest version. If it is still a problem, we can look into checking out your hardware acceleration settings for the video card.

Brian
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby Charlscozz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi Brian,

yes it does not matter which video card since each monitor uses it's own so the problem may be elsewhere. The computer is not that old (3 yrs) and I have no issues using photo editing software. I'll see about increasing the Ram first and go from there. If the problem persists I would certainly appreciate the assistance with the hardware acceleration settings.

thanks very much,
Charlie
Charlscozz

Return to NOTION